Belt Mountain base pin on new revolver

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BB Rvlr

Single-Sixer
To the folks that use Belt Mountain base pins: When you get a new single action do you swap out the base pin as a matter of course or do you see see how the gun shoots first? This will be for a Bisley Flattop in .44 Special so I don't anticipate recoil causing the pin to jump being an issue.

Have any of you done before and after testing with the Belt Mountain pins? Accuracy, barrel leading, spitting at B/C gap, etc??

BB Rvlr

Single-Sixer
WOW!!!

If that isn't an honest answer from the horse's mouth I don't know what is!

Thank you Kelye!!

WARD

Single-Sixer
Besides the tighter fitting of the BM pin, I really like the #5 head on the base pin. It gives me something I can get my fingers on to pull it out after the gun gets dirty from a good day out shooting! There isn't much to grasp on the factory style.

Ward

45Colt_Man

Blackhawk
Kelye wont steer you wrong. He makes an incedible product. If you need to replace the original go to Belt Mountain. So far Iv'e been able to use what Ruger gave me. If I ever have a problem that I can't resolve the guy in tha state obove me get's my business. They work and they work good, as others around me have advised.

I sould also say that I have been involved in aircraft mechanics for 40 years and can look at what need's to be done on my gun's. If you need help go to Kelye.

Dana

REP1954

Blackhawk
It depends on how sloppy the cylinder is. You are dealing with 3 items whose tolerances can go in different directions so I have seen Rugers with a very nice cylinder, frame, and base pin fit and I have seen some that I just flat out refused to buy after ordering them. I like a gun that is well fitted and with a smooth action something that requires a well fitted cylinder. I dont think you will see Bowen, Linbaugh, Harton or any other custom gunsmith send you back a custom or tuned gun with a cylinder that is sloppy. But again my wife says that I am anal when it comes to my hobbies and most people do not apperciate the lengths that I go to except for those who have received some of the guns that I have let go.

Pal Val

Buckeye
I believe that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." I shoot the gun first, then take care of any issued I find. Only two of my single-actions have a Belt Mountain pin. One is a Blackhawk, which came with either an undersized pin, or an oversized hole, very sloppy fit. The other is a SBH Hunter, which would spit out the pin, even with a Wolff latch spring.

The Belt Mountain pins fixed those two handily.

jpb in me

Single-Sixer
Question. I have a 44 SBH that has no play forward/aft but does have a little play side to side (rocking the cylinder) How much is normal? The guy I bought the gun from said the gun was hardly shot at all. With the trigger cocked there is no play at all.

COR

Blackhawk
I've got to admit to just putting them on before shooting them because I just simply love the way a #5 basepin can finish a gun's look. Don't judge me for being a fashion whore! I have also never had any accuracy issues with any Ruger (that couldn't be fixed with handloads). Mine all shoot great with the pins and I'm convinced it actually tightened the groups on my Bearcat.

REP1954

Blackhawk
COR, it not only looks nice it functions great when removing and installing the pin.

StanMemTn

Single-Sixer
jpb in me":1ho05fxw said:
Question. I have a 44 SBH that has no play forward/aft but does have a little play side to side (rocking the cylinder) How much is normal? The guy I bought the gun from said the gun was hardly shot at all. With the trigger cocked there is no play at all.

With what you described, and if the chambers line up with the barrel correctly, I would call that within normal limits and be happy.
I'm assuming that the gun shoots well.

-Stephen

cas6969

Buckeye
I buy #5 style ones right away. I buy 'em for looks and easier function, any accuracy improvements are a secondary concern and a bonus.

J Miller

Blackhawk
I currently own two Belt Mountain base pins.

The first one actually caused a cylinder to barrel misalignment. Enough that it caused abnormal forcing cone wear. This doesn't happen often, but in this OM BH .45 the tolerances just stacked up wrong.

The second one is in my ancient Uberti Cattleman. Works great.

Definitely shoot the pistol first. Then; "IF" if needs anything address the issue.

Joe

REP1954

Blackhawk
J Miller":9merwofg said:

The first one actually caused a cylinder to barrel misalignment. Enough that it caused abnormal forcing cone wear. This doesn't happen often, but in this OM BH .45 the tolerances just stacked up wrong.

Definitely shoot the pistol first. Then; "IF" if needs anything address the issue.

Joe
I'm not so sure that the .0005" from center that the base pin could have moved your cylinder beat your gun up. Sounds to me like the real problem was already there before the new base pin went in.

jforwel

Bearcat
I have four of them, one was for bad alignment in my .32 Single Six which helped along with a Power Custom cylinder latch. And my other three are more cosmetic in nature, No. 5 and knurled heads for easier withdrawal.

I am considering two more, one for my Lipsey .44 Spl and one in stainless if available for my SBH Hunter.

J Miller

Blackhawk
REP1954":22dv6u40 said:
J Miller":22dv6u40 said:

Joe
I'm not so sure that the .0005" from center that the base pin could have moved your cylinder beat your gun up. Sounds to me like the real problem was already there before the new base pin went in.

Well, since you do not have my gun and therefore cannot verify the situation one way or the other, you are either calling me a liar or just thinking I'm a liar out loud. Not a good thing to do.

The condition was verified with one of Iowegan's range rod kits. With the BM base pin the cylinder was out of alignment. With the original OEM base pin it was not.

So the original is back in, the forcing cone has been recut and the base pin is in my parts box.
Basically end of story.

Joe

Bkat

Blackhawk
Joe,

Can you tell me what's included in Iowegan's range rod kits and do you know if he still sells them?

Thanks,
Bkat

REP1954

Blackhawk
J Miller, No one called anyone a liar just trying to explain that that .0005" isnt tearing your gun up. Do you realize that your groove depth is many more times larger than .0005".

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
I don't want any SA I own to jump the base-pin under recoil. I believe that can do damage.

The two preventative measures available are a Belt Mountain base pin OR a heavier base pin latch spring. The latter is often included in complete spring kits or solo for less than $5. I recommend at least doing that. If the gun is otherwise not tight go get a better pin and BM sells the best.

DGNY

Bearcat
Certainly shoot first, as others have said. Case in point. One of my .32 SSs needed pin and the other shot great without it.

BUT, now the one with the pin outshoots the other - come-from-behind story.

BTW, this makes me have no doubt of the above story where a pin made a certain revolver, with its own tolerances, misalign. Think about it - Before the pin, it was relying on looseness to function!

Regards,

Dyson

Latest posts