Beginning to think the education system has failed our kids.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
My kids are smart.

That is true of many young folks, they are smart, but not well educated. During my career I worked with many young engineers but I had to write their letters for them many times. Why? Their grammar and writing skills were so poor hey would have been an embarrassment to our company.

Bob Wright

Johnny-Baseball

Single-Sixer
I think this term is exclusive to Texas. I haven’t heard it used in any other state where we’ve lived.

It’s also not related to size. For example the Dallas Independent School District is DISD. But Richardson which is much smaller is RISD.
Texas' school district boundaries were set in the early 1900s, and generally were defined by rivers and major creeks. The boundaries were set in order to insure the kids would have schools they could safely attend without having to ford swollen creeks during rainy periods. In those early times, there were very few towns of any size, so school districts were independent of any town/city within the school districts' boundaries. That continues today, so very rarely will a school district's boundaries coincide with a city's boundaries.

James (CA)

Bearcat
My kids are smart.
My daughter is smart as well.

"But", I had her helping me in my machine shop starting at an early age.
So despite being in the Los Angeles school system, she has done well.
She graduated with two scholarships in auto shop.
Back before she opened her own business,..... when she would fill out a job application some eyebrows would be raised.
Under skills she would write: operating a lathe, milling machine, O.D. grinder, surface grinder, and precision hone.
When asked how she acquired these skills she would say,
"my father is a master machinist", "he had me working in his shop since I was a kid"

GG,..... you had a much better chance of having smart kids,..... you're in Texas.
Here in California, despite throwing truck loads of money at the education system the school systems are ranked very near the bottom of every survey.

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
My daughter is smart as well.

"But", I had her helping me in my machine shop starting at an early age.
So despite being in the Los Angeles school system, she has done well.
She graduated with two scholarships in auto shop.
Back before she opened her own business,..... when she would fill out a job application some eyebrows would be raised.
Under skills she would write: operating a lathe, milling machine, O.D. grinder, surface grinder, and precision hone.
When asked how she acquired these skills she would say,
"my father is a master machinist", "he had me working in his shop since I was a kid"

GG,..... you had a much better chance of having smart kids,..... you're in Texas.
Here in California, despite throwing truck loads of money at the education system the school systems are ranked very near the bottom of every survey.
My Dad taught Math and algebra in the Los Angeles school district and got told "Just pass them if they repeat the course we get no Fed Gov money for them".

krw

Blackhawk
I graduated in ‘82. I knew then the education sysytem was a joke. Even then you had to teach down for the “slower” kids and that held bak the kids who cood have really excelled
I understood Algebra and geometry were for tradesmen and Farmers. I excelled in History and science because it interested Me. And I basically blew everything else off
When my daughter gtaduated same school in ‘15 it was worse then.
This consistent teaching’down’ is wrecking education aystem. In life there is winners and losers. These participation trophys are BS!! I hav always been hardnosed and reckon I always will, but the education system needs the liberals and everyone’s a winner mentality removed
A perfect example is when a kid graduates, chooses esucation as a life choice, gets grants to help achieve this degree and then bitches about what they dont make. And you wonder why there is a problem with the education system??? Hello!!

langenc

Single-Sixer
Isn't it interesting how the decline in education is coincidental with the rise in power of the teachers unions?
And teachers became so poorly paid.
Teachers work 6 hrs/day-most 180 days/year for a total of 1080 hrs.

When I was working it was 8 hrs x 250 days/year for a total of 2080 hrs-one cant get same pay for 1080 as for 2080, can we??

Most teachers spend 75-80% of time on the bottom 30% of students.

"And teachers became so poorly paid.
Teachers work 6 hrs/day-most 180 days/year for a total of 1080 hrs."

That is a load of BS

My Wife taught 3rd and 4th grade for 25 years. You left out the time spent staying after hours talking to parents about their kids, grading and sorting papers until late at night, most Sundays spend doing lesson plans. Yea she did have some summer time off but not enough. Her pay was crap compared to the important job she was doing for the Kids and the CRAP she had to put up with.
I worked a job at 45-50 hrs a week and she worked a hell of lot more than I did.
Oh by the way she had to listen to all the BS from the parents when told their kid wasn't doing good.

"Most teachers spend 75-80% of time on the bottom 30% of students."
Yes you are correct and that is a problem.. At least in our school district they had "The Gifted and Talented Program" my Daughter was lucky enough to participate in it. Probably helped her in being ONE of THE 136 females in the WORLD that got selected to the Air Force Academy in 1992.

Last edited:

GasGuzzler

Hunter
I would put that at about the early 70's.
I went to school throughout the 80's and kids were failed then. It didn't end in the '70's.
That is true of many young folks, they are smart, but not well educated. During my career I worked with many young engineers but I had to write their letters for them many times. Why? Their grammar and writing skills were so poor hey would have been an embarrassment to our company.

Bob Wright
My daughter made State in journalism as a sophomore. She won a school award at a competition where she was the only student from her school there. Her grammar and my other kids' grammar is just fine.
Once again, the basic writing rule of spelling out an acronym the first time used, is ignored. Darn education system.
Yeah and you have an acronym in your avatar I don't understand. That must be your fault, right? Sometimes I think the internet has made people so lazy they won't even use it to find an answer to a simple question. This shows itself in the school system and the students it pumps out...sometimes. This forum has some of the worst spelling and grammar I see on a daily basis but no one cares about that either.
I think this term is exclusive to Texas. I haven’t heard it used in any other state where we’ve lived.

It’s also not related to size. For example the Dallas Independent School District is DISD. But Richardson which is much smaller is RISD.
I was born in Texas and have never had to live anywhere else. The concept of school districts is not foreign to me nor is it complex. Although most school districts in Texas are independent (work within their borders), some are what is called consolidated. S&S (Sadler and Southmayd) is a Consolidated Independent School District. Consolidated because it's two towns that could choose to be independent from each other but instead combine resources.

The post above describing the genesis of Texas ISD borders is likely true but is no longer the way it works. Although ISD borders aren't exactly the same as city limits, they are generally similar.

Schools spend way too much time trying to fool everyone (not just the students) into thinking that everyone is equal instead of praising the superior while supporting those who are behind.

pyth0n

Blackhawk
I went to school throughout the 80's and kids were failed then. It didn't end in the '70's.

My daughter made State in journalism as a sophomore. She won a school award at a competition where she was the only student from her school there. Her grammar and my other kids' grammar is just fine.

Yeah and you have an acronym in your avatar I don't understand. That must be your fault, right? Sometimes I think the internet has made people so lazy they won't even use it to find an answer to a simple question. This shows itself in the school system and the students it pumps out...sometimes. This forum has some of the worst spelling and grammar I see on a daily basis but no one cares about that either.

I was born in Texas and have never had to live anywhere else. The concept of school districts is not foreign to me nor is it complex. Although most school districts in Texas are independent (work within their borders), some are what is called consolidated. S&S (Sadler and Southmayd) is a Consolidated Independent School District. Consolidated because it's two towns that could choose to be independent from each other but instead combine resources.

The post above describing the genesis of Texas ISD borders is likely true but is no longer the way it works. Although ISD borders aren't exactly the same as city limits, they are generally similar.

Schools spend way too much time trying to fool everyone (not just the students) into thinking that everyone is equal instead of praising the superior while supporting those who are behind.
"Sometimes I think the internet has made people so lazy they won't even use it to find an answer to a simple question." Couldn't look up SAC?? 🤔
dfw texas? Designed for windows, diffusion welding, dept. of fish & wildlife? 😉

Last edited:

Johnny-Baseball

Single-Sixer
"The post above describing the genesis of Texas ISD borders is likely true but is no longer the way it works. Although ISD borders aren't exactly the same as city limits, they are generally similar."

I see you live in the DFW area.

Well, here is a partial list of ISDs in North Texas whose school district boundaries are very different from the city limits of the main city within the ISD boundaries: Richardson (ISD reaches all the way to White Rock Lake), Plano (ISD boundaries include parts of the cities of Richardson, Dallas, Farmers Branch). Frisco (ISD includes parts of the cities of Plano, McKinney, Little Elm, Allen), McKinney (city limits include parts of the cities of Plano and Frisco). I suspect the same dichotomy exists for Colleyville, Southlake, etc. I worked as a financial advisor to Centex Homes Corporation (CHC) for 25 years. CHC was then the 2nd largest homebuilder in the USA, with major operations in Texas. I learned about the Texas ISD boundaries vs City Limits history from CHC's President. School district boundaries, once set, generally remain constant. City limits, once set, can be changed - either contracted or expanded - but changes are not mandated to conform to ISD boundaries.