Beginning to think the education system has failed our kids.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
Serious question.
And how did they guarantee the " safe " aspect at those two schools ?

Half assed question...How would Latin have been a valuable addition to my education?
If you are a Philosophy, History, Literature, Mathematics, & basic Humanities type degrees, Latin can be useful as many of the "old" texts were in Latin.

Johnny-Baseball

Single-Sixer
Dave P. asked, "Half assed question...How would Latin have been a valuable addition to my education?" Well, Latin words and phrases are imbedded in our state and federal laws and are the roots for many medical terms. So, a student who aspires to be a lawyer or medical professional needs to know Latin. Further, proficiency in Latin gives students a leg up on the mastery of other languages whose words/phrases are imbedded in other professions: engineering, for example. Now, if you or your student does not aspire to be a doctor, an engineer, a lawyer, etc., then Latin might not be of great advantage. From personal experience, learning Spanish in high school gave me the "key" to more rapid verbal proficiency in Thai and Tagalog (a language spoken in the Philippines), and those proficiencies were very useful when I worked with Thais and Filipinos in the military. Accounting is also a language, one that includes both words and symbols. Don't turn up your nose at that statement - "accounting" is actually several specific languages including financial accounting (GAAP), tax accounting, government contract accounting, cost accounting, etc.). Rapid mastery of languages is key to advancement. A close associate, my partner in public accounting, was a Spaniard: he spoke (and used daily to conduct business) Spanish, Portuguese, French, Italian, English. and German. And after working with me for a couple of years, he picked up an even more complex language - Texan.

KIR

Blackhawk
It is not the education system that has failed our kids, it is the apathetic people who allow it to happen, primarily the parents. When elections for school boards come around, few people realize how politicized they have become and what the candidates stand for.

Dave P. asked, "Half assed question...How would Latin have been a valuable addition to my education?" Well, Latin words and phrases are imbedded in our state and federal laws and are the roots for many medical terms. So, a student who aspires to be a lawyer or medical professional needs to know Latin. Further, proficiency in Latin gives students a leg up on the mastery of other languages whose words/phrases are imbedded in other professions: engineering, for example. Now, if you or your student does not aspire to be a doctor, an engineer, a lawyer, etc., then Latin might not be of great advantage. From personal experience, learning Spanish in high school gave me the "key" to more rapid verbal proficiency in Thai and Tagalog (a language spoken in the Philippines), and those proficiencies were very useful when I worked with Thais and Filipinos in the military. Accounting is also a language, one that includes both words and symbols. Don't turn up your nose at that statement - "accounting" is actually several specific languages including financial accounting (GAAP), tax accounting, government contract accounting, cost accounting, etc.). Rapid mastery of languages is key to advancement. A close associate, my partner in public accounting, was a Spaniard: he spoke (and used daily to conduct business) Spanish, Portuguese, French, Italian, English. and German. And after working with me for a couple of years, he picked up an even more complex language - Texan.
So personally not much, my bachelors degree was business administration with a minor in economics and later got an associates degree in mechanical engineering. If I needed to know something I could look it up vs. wasting a few semesters on a very low possibility of future usefulness.
My second language skills are lacking but have not limited me in any fashion, enough basic Spanish to get along in south Florida and some vacations
where it was spoken. I did become fluent enough in Quebecoise French to start plenty of "stuff" while playing junior hockey in Canada, very important
to be able to curse at and personally insult your opponent in a language they understand.
While I understand your point I still think the time vs. value of studies like Latin are wasted on the masses. Maybe better off teaching a useful life skill of say personal financial management, or maybe life effecting decision making, or something more applicable to the so called real world.

dannyd

Blackhawk
The school system just didn't start going downhill been going on for almost 60 years. I give you the 1970's as an example.

85B1E7C2-84CF-4345-9040-FCB37BF49BB1.jpeg

black1970

Single-Sixer
You are right Bob but how does one overcome the social Marxism that has a choke hold on our country. Face it, America as we have known it is gone and will never return. It was a good run while it lasted. People and times change but sadly not for the better. And please don’t call me a profit of doom and gloom, I am just looking at what is NOW and what used to be.

Went to Best Buy, looking for a GPS. I asked the guy if this particular model covered Canada and Alaska. He said, "Let me look, No just North America" I said they are in North America. He just looked at me and said, "OH"

So I ended up going to Walmart, against my better judgement. Went to electronics and asked the lady at the counter where the GPS's were. She said I don't know what that is. When she finally figured out what I was looking for she pointed and couldn't get out of there quick enough, just in case I asked a question. Nobody around there knew which mount worked for that GPS.
I resemble the title of this thread. :)

KIR

Blackhawk
Are there still trade schools out there? Electricians, plumbers, etc. seem to make a lot of money.

vito

Hunter
If more kids went to trade schools they and our society would be the better for it. My youngest son who dropped out of High School, later got his G.E.D., had no specific work related skills. We convinced him to get a welder's certificate at the local community college, a process which while not something he could complete in a minimal time was certainly a lesser commitment than even getting an Associate degree. He has now been a welder for a number of years, is considered quite proficient in various types of welding, and is able to support his small family. He also has the advantage of having me as his father who continues to work with him on trying to fill in the gaps left by the educational system.

KIR

Blackhawk
My bro's son and g'son who I thought were real losers (shhhhh) are now working as a dental assistant and a bartender. I think that is great. There is a place for everybody if they want it!

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
Carpenter, Plumber, Electrician...whatever. Education is for every one and not just practical education like Math. If you do not understand or know what classic books are you are missing out, If you have no appreciate for classic music or art, you are missing out. If you do not understand history in its various forms, you are missing out, Can't find a country on a globe, you are missing out. Learn multiple languages, Learn etiquette, manners, decorum, etc. Education is not just about having a skill to make a living. It is about growth, broadening ones horizons, understanding the world and its many different facets. Developing all aspects of yourself as a human being. How many of you who are well educated, went to multiple schools etc. wish they had never done it. I imagine not many!(IMHO)

JackBull

Single-Sixer
I DISAGREE. I did teach and the class room is dominated and run by Liberal academia and if you disagree with them, you are ignored and pushed out. Children learn nothing but PC correct views of the world and not the truth.
During my UG years I worked with a Master’s student that was thinking of teaching. During her student internship the other teachers ridiculed her for dressing nicely. You see teachers must look poor so that they can cry for more money. FYI I believe teaching is one of the most important jobs in America and they are underpaid. However they need to ditch the unions and have annual reviws before I give them another dime. Many aren’t worth what they get paid now.