Before I take it to a Gun Smith, any ideas?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A

Anonymous

I have a 6 inch stainless Ruger GP100. I took it apart and tore down the trigger assembly. Put it back together and it won't cycle. If you don't put the hammer in, it cycles fine. Put the hammer in and it will cycle one time then the cylinder hangs up. If you open the cylinder and push the cylinder stop down, it clicks and comes right back up just fine. It will then cycle again one time. As long as you keep opening the cylinder and push the stop down it will cycle the one time. I am puzzled? I thought I would check with you guys before I take it somewhere to be fixed. This is by far my favorite gun I own. I am lost without it. Any suggestions? Thanks Pontiacdm

Pinecone

Blackhawk
PONTIACDM, Without having a step-by-step of "how" you took the gun apart to begin with there's no way to "know" what you may have left out or put in wrong! What instructions did you use in "disassembling" the GP? I would go back over "those" instructions and disassemble the gun once more looking for "any" missed step. As you re-assemble the trigger guard assembly check each point of assembly for proper movement of the parts without "obstruction". You may find your problem area. Understand, without the gun in "our" hands analysis of your problem is limited. Should you still have the problem after these procedures or simply "winged it" when disassembling the gun to begin with, then I would recommend you take it to a local "competent" gunsmith who is "familiar" with the GP-100!........................Dick :wink:

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
Do a google search for IOWEGAN's IBOK Look it over for about 30 minutes and then start putting that GP back together. Make sure you do a "sponge" count along the way.

Don't get too discouraged...it has to be something simple. Stuff like hammer struts being backwards and having one of the two plungers in the wrong place will cause funny things like that to happen.

A

Anonymous

I_Like_Pie":16rsjfo0 said:
Do a google search for IOWEGAN's IBOK Look it over for about 30 minutes and then start putting that GP back together. Make sure you do a "sponge" count along the way.

Don't get too discouraged...it has to be something simple. Stuff like hammer struts being backwards and having one of the two plungers in the wrong place will cause funny things like that to happen.

This may be a stupid question. What is a IBOK?

G2

Hunter
Ruger GP100- Iowagens Book of Knowledge

Ok SLow down your going to have this gun apart for a while longer, I feel panic in your first post. Time to study each part, what is does, why it's there, How it works, yada yada yada. Slow down and check your PM

PM Sent

GP100man

Buckeye
If ya push forward on the trigger does it cycle again??

It sounds as if the trigger link is`nt resetting.

Did ya "shine up" anything?????

Did ya change the springs????

The trigger link(part #48) can`t stand much metal removal!!

A

Anonymous

GP100man":6scyvf3y said:
If ya push forward on the trigger does it cycle again??

It sounds as if the trigger link is`nt resetting.

Did ya "shine up" anything?????

Did ya change the springs????

The trigger link(part #48) can`t stand much metal removal!!

Shine anything? =No

Change springs?=Yes but I put the old ones back in with the same problem.

Pushing on trigger does not reset it.

I give up on it. I'm going to take it to a smith as soon as money allows.

Thanks for all of your help.

You can fix this. As long as all surfaces are as should be its something didn't get put back just right.
The IBOK is Iowegans book of knowledge. Go to the other Ruger forum (.net) and after ten posts you can get into the library and download the IBOK's Before your ten posts you could go to their smith section and ask Iowegan for his ideas.
Sounds like somethig is in upside down?
Good luck Eric

Mac's

Bearcat
Try reassembling it like this:
Install the trigger but not the cylinder. Then squeeze the trigger back all of the way and insert the hammer in the cocked position. You'll have to hold the cylinder release back. Sometimes the interlock surfaces don't engage correctly and revolvers have to be reassembled this way. It doesn't interfere with the proper function of it after it's assembled. It should function fine now so go ahead and reassemble it the rest of the way. Keep yer powder dry, Mac.
Tuff-Gun Finishes. The Name Says It All.
Mac's Shootin' Irons
http://www.shootiniron.com

A

Anonymous

Mac's":26oaub00 said:
Try reassembling it like this:
Install the trigger but not the cylinder. Then squeeze the trigger back all of the way and insert the hammer in the cocked position. You'll have to hold the cylinder release back. Sometimes the interlock surfaces don't engage correctly and revolvers have to be reassembled this way. It doesn't interfere with the proper function of it after it's assembled. It should function fine now so go ahead and reassemble it the rest of the way. Keep yer powder dry, Mac.
Tuff-Gun Finishes. The Name Says It All.
Mac's Shootin' Irons
http://www.shootiniron.com

Didn't work. Thanks for the idea.

A

Anonymous

OK It's fixed ThankGod!!! It seems for one reason or another the trigger guard latch spring is longer in this pistol than the others. This GP100 was made in the 1980's and the others are newer. When I put the factory spring back in it to see if that was the problem. It was a factory spring (shorter one) out of one of the newer GP's. That made me think that the spring wasn't the problem. Once it was discovered that there was a difference in the sizes, it was a easy fix. My blood pressure is back to normal now. Thank you all who tried to help me. I'm off to the range to welcome back one of my favorite pistols.

Flash

Buckeye
eric conrad":x9icpcj4 said:
You can fix this. As long as all surfaces are as should be its something didn't get put back just right.
The IBOK is Iowegans book of knowledge. Go to the other Ruger forum (.net) and after ten posts you can get into the library and download the IBOK's Before your ten posts you could go to their smith section and ask Iowegan for his ideas.
Sounds like somethig is in upside down?
Good luck Eric

All the IBOKs were taken down and have been gone for close to a month or longer.

Pinecone

Blackhawk
The IBOK's are all over the internet. Seems like Iowegan decided to lock the barn "after" the fox ate "all" the chickens! What most people don't know or understand is that the info in the IBOK's is already out there in various gunsmithing manuals, a goodly amount of it between the American Gunsmith books and articles, Kuhnhausen's books, J.B. Wood's books, George Nonte's Pistolsmithing book, etc., etc. Iowegan compiled a lot of this stuff, threw in his own experience and voila, the IBOK's! I have done the same thing over the years and have 21 three ring binders of gunsmithing info I have compiled for my own use. The difference is in the way I compiled mine. I may have gunsmithing info on 15 or 20 different makes of guns in one binder instead of say just the Ruger GP-100. I took prolific notes as I worked on guns as a good many gunsmiths do unless they have a "photographic" memory! I have them all on a master index so it doesn't take me long to look something up if I can't remember it off the top of my head! Although I have gunsmithed for 43+ years, there are some guns I have not had my hands on in 15 to 20 years so the binders are a good source to refresh my memories. Before anyone asks, no I do not intend to publish any of them! For sure, he put in a lot of work on these but the IBOK's are not the "only" source for working on guns. I would suggest that anyone wanting to do their own gun work start by compiling a good "library"! When I started working on guns in 1966, I already had a pretty good library started and simply continued to add to it as time went on and I gained "experience" as a gunsmith. I had 1050 books in that library when I sold it intact in 2002! I currently have a library of about 160 books. The info is out there, you just have to know where to dig it out! Amazon.com is a good place to shop for gunsmithing books at good prices.............................Dick :idea:

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
PONTIACDM":1qg0dsif said:
OK It's fixed ThankGod!!! It seems for one reason or another the trigger guard latch spring is longer in this pistol than the others. This GP100 was made in the 1980's and the others are newer. When I put the factory spring back in it to see if that was the problem. It was a factory spring (shorter one) out of one of the newer GP's. That made me think that the spring wasn't the problem. Once it was discovered that there was a difference in the sizes, it was a easy fix. My blood pressure is back to normal now. Thank you all who tried to help me. I'm off to the range to welcome back one of my favorite pistols.
The trigger guard latch spring is also the trigger return spring. Many spring kits have a reduced power spring for this function. Reducing the trigger return spring power will reduce the trigger pull. Many times a balance needs to be found on the return spring, you certainly don't want the trigger to stick. :D

...Jimbo