Been a 9mm fan, but wondering about going back to 357magnum

Help Support Ruger Forum:

vito

Hunter
One big consideration is shooting in the dark. You would do well to shoot any ammo you plan to use in the dark to see how blind the muzzle flash makes you. It is a real life consideration that you would do well not to ignore.[/quote said:
I admit I have never, even once, practiced trying to shoot any of my guns in the dark of night. Since I belong to an indoor range pistol club, I should be able to find a time to go on one of the ranges and not turn on any of the lights, making it as dark as possible, then trying my various concealed carry choices as well as my main home defense handgun, a Glock 17 with a rail light. Thanks for the suggestion. I do expect that with my aging eyes, which take longer than when I was younger to adapt to changes in lighting, that all I will be able to do is get off one shot before I am blinded enough to loss whatever accuracy I normally have. I won't even consider trying this without hearing protection as I am already more deaf than not. In a life and death situation I will just have to take my chances regarding further hearing damage. I worry more about the likely inability to call 911 and others after a self defense shooting, but that just goes with the territory.

sncup

Single-Sixer
My thoughts for a carry pistol.
1 what gun do I want to stop a pit bull / rottweiler / doberman – sometimes 2 dogs! I have had neighbors at different times that had these dogs and was concerned about how to stop an attack on me my wife or our dog on walks. I had a basset hound that was injured because I did not carry at that time. Things happen fast and at close range.

2 point shooting. I want the gun to hit “reasonably” where I point.

At one IDPA match the targets were about 20ft away and very dark. You could just make out the targets. I won that stage because I did not use the sights – just point shot. My hits were good and the time was very fast in comparison to others trying to use their sights.

With the criteria above , you may understand why I like to carry my birdshead Vaquero 45 at times.

blackhawknj

Buckeye
Let's review the Rules of Self Defense.
1. Have a gun
2. Know how to use it.
3. Single shot pistols went out with the Civil War.
4. Only the hits count.
5. Hits with Minor calibers hurt more than Misses with Majors.
Bill Jordan said the 38 Special was the most powerful round the average man-i.e. most of us-could hope to master. Jim Cirillo relied on the 38 Special, as did Charlie Askins. And as Jeff Cooper noted, it's the Combat Mindset that wins fights. I knew Charlie Askins only through his writing, I gather a lot of people who met him felt his manners left a lot to be desired, in an article in American Handgunner Massad Ayoob said "He was also a stone cold killer." And in a lethal force/self defense situation, you would want to channel him.

toysoldier

Hunter
My everyday carry is a Ruger LCP, because I can carry it every day, everywhere. It's like a second wallet. The locking gun safe in my truck has a .357, in case I encounter a situation that requires more penetration. Home defense is a .357 carbine, .38 and 9-shot .22 revolvers, and a pump 20 gauge---something in every room. They'll all put holes in bad guys.

Jeepnik said:
The one thing I'd like to add would be a 2 to 3 inch 5 short .45 acp revolver. Don't know if anyone ever made one. I know I haven't seen one.

Yep, it is called a Charter Arms .45 acp Pitbull. https://charterfirearms.com/search?q=.45+Acp

The other thing to keep in mind is your “risk assessment”. Most of us have very low risk. I deliver flowers to ghettos and to the elite also. Where do you go?

gramps

Rancher Will

Blackhawk
During the 30 years when I was County Undersheriff and Chief of Police, I gave my deputies and officers the option of selecting their personal duty weapon, so long as it equaled or exceeded a .38 special. I required every one to fire on our range monthly and strictly qualify every 3 months.

Over the years, my 60+ LEOs used numerous handguns, semi autos and revolvers, some trying more than three or four over time. Personal reasons prevailed, including physical ability, comfort carrying, required ability to strictly qualify, dependability, etc. I remember that over the 30 years, only about 5 or six actually carried semi-autos regularly after trying and using various weapons. Of those I believe all were .45 ACP's.

The most common handgun carried by my LEOs was the Model 19 S&W, .357 Mag after trying numerous other models and calibers. The second most common carried by my LEOs was .44 Specials, Colt or S&W. Some of the LEOs, carried +P.38 Special ammo in their Model 19's. I remember one Deputy that I had for over 25 years. He developed arthritis that made it uncomfortable shooting and qualifying with his .357 Mag. By substituting .38 Specials in his model 19, Wad Cutter Target Ammo, he was able to continue working and qualifying.

I have mentioned here that my wife regularly carries and regularly practices with her Charter Arms, rubber grip .44 special, as she has for 50+ years. Over the years she has tried almost every one of the handguns used by my officers when I was in charge, plus numerous others owned by friends. She is an excellent shooter and has always stated that her .44 special suits her the best that she ever tried. I have carried and used my two .44's since 1958 and 1961. I believe I have tried perhaps 40 or 50 different handguns in my life. I never found any better than my .44's, my S&W model 29 on duty and off, or my .44 Ruger Blackhawk when on horseback working on my ranches.

I know that many, perhaps most departments require all officers to carry the same ammo and/or weapon model. There are valid reasons for this, including economics. But I have noticed that most, especially large departments, have never required the strict qualification specifics that I required when it was my responsibility for all my LEOs.

kmoore

Buckeye
Here all I know shoot 3 times a year. With once done at night and in the dark (ie No Lights) 25yd and closer. I beleive the state board says once a year min. I no longer patrol or contact criminals and can "Q" once a year. So, there could be some depts. only "Q"ing their patrolman once a year.
Shooting at night and or near total darkness is much different. The fireball coming out the muzzle takes away part or all of your night vision. Night shooting takes different shooting methods. Without explaining every part, mainly keep the muzzle out of your direct line of eye sight when that fireball comes out of the muzzle. Instinctive shooting will allow you to "Q" while shooting 50 rounds at night. Other wise your blinded after the 1st shot.

DHD

Single-Sixer
Those little J Frame 357's are a hoot to shoot. I couldn't find a 640 when I was looking for a J Frame 357, so I got the Model 60. I took it home and immediately shot a cylinder full of the Federal 125 JHP 357 Magnum ammo. I've described it before as a miniature donkey. Cute as it can be until it kicks you, and I also noted that the fireball was easy to see in daylight. I still have that cute little monster after 20+ years. A 640 has got to be entertaining as it's about half the weight of my Model 60.

In my mind, a fixed sight 3" K Frame (13?) with a good set of Spegel grips and a decent action job would be very very nice. Plus newer ammo doesn't threaten to set fire to what you're shooting at.

Not that it really matters as I don't get to spend your money, but I have a pile of revolvers and autos to pick from to carry when off duty. When I leave the house I still grab my Gen5 19 loaded with Winchester Ranger 147 grain. You gotta carry what you like and you can hit best with. I have a long love affair with the 357 and always will, but she doesn't get to go when I might need to get busy...

Latest posts