bedding release

Help Support Ruger Forum:

two bit okie

Single-Sixer
Restocking a rifle, any suggestions on what to use for release to seperate the metal from the bedding after it has dried?

Pinecone

Blackhawk
two bit okie, Any good "industrial" mold release will work for you and you can get it at your local Industrial Supply or Brownell's Acraglas Release Agent # 081-007-003AC (3 oz.)!.......................Dick

Snake45

Hawkeye
Hardware stores and art supply stores (such as Michael's) carry mold release in spray cans. Stoner is one brand I know. Only a few bucks a can and worth it to keep from screwing up your project.

DGW1949

Hunter
I'm an Acraglass guy myself. It comes with the release agent that they want ya to use.

Too easy, eh ?

DGW

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Ok, I admit I have no idea what I'm talking about here, and certainly don't mean to insult the OP, but: I had always assumed you were supposed to put the release agent on the barrel before applying the resin/glue/compound to the bedding material and setting in the barrel. That the release agent existed to keep the stuff from sticking to where you didn't want it in the first place, not to remove it after it's dried.

Am I wrong? Again, I don't mean this as an "in your face" kind of thing, I'm just curious based on assumptions I had about the process.

-- Sam

DGW1949

Hunter
Yosemite Sam":38209ygr said:
Ok, I admit I have no idea what I'm talking about here, and certainly don't mean to insult the OP, but: I had always assumed you were supposed to put the release agent on the barrel before applying the resin/glue/compound to the bedding material and setting in the barrel. That the release agent existed to keep the stuff from sticking to where you didn't want it in the first place, not to remove it after it's dried.

Am I wrong? Again, I don't mean this as an "in your face" kind of thing, I'm just curious based on assumptions I had about the process.

-- Sam

Well Sam, it looks like you were the only one paying enough attention to the actual question.

As for what to use as a release agent AFTER the gun is bedded......the instructions that comes with Acraglass says that if you don't do the bedding and/or the release agent part right, you can use an axe to get the gun out of it's stock.
I guess a saw and chizel would also do the job.....but I seriously doubt that anything that comes out of a jar or spray can will help.

DGW

Hired Gun

Bearcat
Supposedly a night in the freezer will help shock it loose. When you take it out in the morning I would would put a wedge under the end of the barrel then work it over with my rubber mallet. This is assuming you used release agent. If it didn't have any realease agent then I would leave in in there and go test it. If it still needs to come out then a body shop type heat gun is supposed to work. You need to carefully heat the metal work only to 300 degrees or so. No torches now. If you go over 400 it will change the temper of the steel. Next up is a mechanical puller. Then we are talking hatchet time.