bedding job on my 77 RSI

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dixie cat

Bearcat
yesterday I completed a bedding job on my 77 RSI in 250 sav. it shot ok but not quite good enough and every now and then it would have a flier. I have done a lot of glass bedding but never one on a full stock before. first thing I checked the wood, it had pressure in different spots all over the barrel. I dissembled it and slowly sanded the barrel channel with a dowel and paper where the spots was touching until it was free floating from the back of the pressure point on the barrel ring. I did not float the barrel off the barrel ring, I left it with pressure there. I bedded from the front of the receiver where the barrel threads in up to about 1 1/2 in. forward. it had a little rock to it when sitting on the bedding, I hardly ever bed tang areas because you get very little if any glass there. so I fitted a neoprene washer between the tang and wood till it was perfectly level. "I used sandpaper to thin the washer down" then I addressed the nose cap. it had pressure on one side of the barrel band after it was back together. I kept slowly filling inside the nose cap where it was touching until the front of the cap was completely free and a dollar bill could be run around between the nose cap and the barrel. I finished it up and loaded some bullets, re-zeroed and instantly this was better. it shot about 3/4 group with a 90gr. sierra BTHP gameking with two powders, 3031 and H414 and no fliers at all. I will try some different powders and projectiles after Florence the hurricane is gone. if somebody has a pet accuracy load the want to share I will try it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,