Bearcat...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
I was in the local GS today when a guy brought in a Bearcat. It was blue with a brass grip frame and the serial number was N011. (at least I think it was the letter "N"). Does that sound correct ? It was like new but he didn't have the box. He said he was going to go back for the box next week. He paid $400 for it. Any info you could give me on this ?

Sugar River

Buckeye
The first Bearcats from '58 were serialized alpha-numerically. Starting with A001 to A999, and then B001 and so on. The letter O was skipped.
So, yes, the guy has a very desirable "alpha-cat".

Pete

flatgate

Hawkeye
Ah, very nice! Some folks have managed to acquire one from each letter of the Alphabet! I've managed to get a few of them over the years.....

43814924.jpg

flatgate

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
flatgate":rs0wwm4o said:
Ah, very nice! Some folks have managed to acquire one from each letter of the Alphabet! I've managed to get a few of them over the years.....

43814924.jpg

flatgate

Thanks for the info, guys ! :mrgreen:

flatgate

Hawkeye
Wow, that is indeed the highest s/n Alphabet gun I've ever seen! Neat!

Splitz found me s/n A100 but the guy wouldn't sell it to me. He was going to let somebody "sell it on the internet" but I've never seen nor heard anything since.... waaaa!

:D

flatgate

lovemydals

Buckeye
I'm currently putting together a collection of alpha s/n OM Bearcats. So far, I have managed to find all but six of the letters. Considering that I started in Sept 2007 (by mistake, as I wasn't really looking for them & I found it in a gun store in Sac CA that was going out of business). At that point, the search began. My second one was obtained in Oct 2007 & it wasn't until July 2008 third one came home with me. Since then, I have done well at putting this collection together in a short amount of time. Most of them are not 100% NIB & that is Ok by me. I can always upgrade as nicer examples come along.

I'm missing the following letters;

"B", "D", "F", "K", "P" & "X".

Any assistance obtaining them will be greatly appreciated!

lmd

radicalrod

Hunter
Hey LMD, been there.....the last letter you need is the hardest to find from my experience.....I got started on my quest to own them all when someone gave me Lynn Laudises phone number seems he had a few for sale.....the last one I needed was found at my "STEP FATHERS" home ( my friend John Kimmels dad adopted me on our trip to Tulsa several years ago)......he had a Z gun for sale at the same time but HECK I already had one......well I asked him what number it was AFTER he sold it.......he said I believe it was Z999 :shock: :shock: :shock: sooo an unknown person now owns the last Alphacat ever made instead of ME :( :( :( Have fun, see ya RR.

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
rugerguy":2ycuh17x said:
Hey Flatgate , that was close to the end, but this is even "closer...........

BC-4Z991b-1.jpg

Bill, that number "N 011" would be a neat number to get...I like it :wink:

Yes, it is a nice piece and and an honest-to-god "got it from a little old lady" deal. :mrgreen:

flatgate

Hawkeye
cherokee5425":3mpwq3r3 said:
Hi, I just got my first Bearcat. I was wondering if someone can give me an idea when it was made the serial number is Y14x, Thanks

Probably January/February of 1960.

Johnstown? My Dad grew up there. I've been there several times over the years.

flatgate

cherokee5425

Bearcat
Kool, what part of Johnstown did he grow up in. It's always neat to find someone on these forums that you know or know someone who grew up in your area. Thanks for the info also.

flatgate

Hawkeye
cherokee5425":1bwgd76j said:
Kool, what part of Johnstown did he grow up in. It's always neat to find someone on these forums that you know or know someone who grew up in your area. Thanks for the info also.

I think it was Steel Street

flatgate

radicalrod

Hunter
Gosh the first BC I ever saw was 52881 mint in the box.....had the original sales reciept with it......heck I paid way more than I should have because I had never seen one or even knew they made them and man did I NEED IT :D :D :D I still have it and will most likely pass it on to my son who may later in his life be able to recover from my over exsuberance :shock: :shock: :shock: see ya RR.

diyj98

Single-Sixer
I just picked up a 1959 "V" serial number that's new in the box and still in the outer cardboard shipping carton. The hard part is deciding whether to put it up for investment purposes or sell it and use the money for something I can actually shoot. :?