Bearcat serial numbers on cylinder..usless answer from Ruger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

5of7

Hunter
street said:
Sorry but no Factory convertible BEARCATS were made. Only NEW BEARCATS were made with an extra cylinder. New Bearcats which came from the Factory with transfer bar systems are not BEARCATS! They are NEW BEARCATS

There are 3 Major changes to this revolver.
(1) Bearcat, 1958 to early seventies
(2) Super Bearcats, 1971 to 1974
(3) New Bearcats, both blue and stainless. This is the only one made as a convertible.

Ahh so. 8)

my key words were after the 'comma' , "thus early on the #93 prefix..." then there were indeed 'convertibles'
and yes of course , now a different "model" designation...................
caveat , how about all the "home made" convertibles, that were chambered ( rechambered) to make a 'spare' cylinder a 'magnum' and yes, our shops ,we always numbered, marked the spare cylinders 8) :roll: :wink:

Kanook

Buckeye
Yes, there are Bearcat convertibles.[/quote]
Sorry but no Factory convertible BEARCATS were made. Only NEW BEARCATS were made with an extra cylinder. New Bearcats which came from the Factory with transfer bar systems are not BEARCATS! They are NEW BEARCATS

(3) New Bearcats, both blue and stainless. This is the only one made as a convertible.[/quote]

I have never seen a Ruger BEARCAT marked NEW BEARCAT. Guess I will look a little closer now.

street

Hunter
Kanook said:
Yes, there are Bearcat convertibles.

(3) New Bearcats, both blue and stainless. This is the only one made as a convertible.[/quote]

I have never seen a Ruger BEARCAT marked NEW BEARCAT. Guess I will look a little closer now.[/quote]
Yes! You need to look closer!!!!! :roll: Here is Ruger's web site and as you can see it is called New Bearcat.
http://www.ruger.com/products/newBearcat/specSheets/0912.html

Here is a photo of one of my NEW BEARCATS

411783083.jpg

....semantics, Vaquero, NEW Vaquero, same goes for the newers, new models make the first ones, older models, and on and on and on....No, the factory did NOT make Bearcats in a convertible, but many of us gunsmiths and gun shops over the years HAVE.............AGAIN< with the advent of the #93 prefix, assigned to the New Bearcats, the first ones were 'convertibles', and the numbers are noted in the RENE, how many are STILL , or REMAIN convertibles, we'll never know just how many cylinders were returned for recall, re-inbursment, and are no longer a "convertible"............I know of two NEW stainless with adjustable sights that are convertibles, as well as at least ONE 'Shopkeeper' 8) :roll:
same goes for all the 'old' Super Bearcats that are refinished in MetalifeSS and folks SWEAR they have a stainless "old model" :?

( that should keep collectors 'on the bottle' for a while......) :wink:

wait a few decades from now and our grandchildren try and figure out just what is what :)

NEVER SAY NEVER folks..................... :lol: