Bearcat Cracked Frame - Photo added

Help Support Ruger Forum:

8pointer

Single-Sixer
Just back from the gun show where I picked up an old model non-prefix Bearcat. This revolver is in fairly nice shape EXCEPT…the frame of the gun is completely split in half just in front of the barrel. The base pin also appears to be slightly bent. For the price I paid, I am certain that I can recoup my investment by parting out this revolver but here is my question: Do you think Ruger will replace the frame if I sent it back to them? I have no idea how the frame was cracked. I can only assume it was abused. No bulge in the barrel, just a cracked/split frame at the top strap and a slightly bent base pin. I will contact Ruger next week but thought that someone on the Forum might have knowledge of their warranty policy.

BearcatCracked.jpg

I would call them and talk to them. Explain the situation. They are usually more than helpful when it comes to things such as these. One of the main reasons in a case like this is potential liability. And they feel that covering any potential problems is a priority. Please keep us updated and let us know what they say! Also i wanted to let you know of a case very similar to this that happened to a friend of mine, they replaced his whole gun.

Sam Johnson

Blackhawk
I would bet that someone tried to remover the barrel and cracked the frame.
Any marks, scratches on the barrel ? With the alloy frame and steel barrel extreme caution is required. Local gunsmith will not even attempt it.

8pointer

Single-Sixer
Sam Johnson":6guscybq said:
I would bet that someone tried to remover the barrel and cracked the frame.
Any marks, scratches on the barrel ? With the alloy frame and steel barrel extreme caution is required. Local gunsmith will not even attempt it.

I don't see any marks on the barrel but that sure sounds like a logical explanation.

Single-Sixer
I doubt Ruger would work on it since it's long out of production and they wouldn't have the parts on hand. They may have some other options for you though so I would definitely give one of their nice customer service ladies a call.

the way you describe it, my guess is also "someone" tried to remove the barrel...and no, there may NOT be any marks, if they "padded it well".......
heck it could have even have cracked from over tightening the barrel, the "opposite direction".......pieces parts, stilll have a value though......

8pointer

Single-Sixer
I spoke with Ruger Customer Service this morning. They were very polite but non-committal. Basically I need to ship the revolver to them to inspect. Afterwards they will contact me to discuss the path forward. I guess I have nothing to lose other than the shipping costs. I'll try and get it sent out later this week and will post an update when I hear back from them.

Larry from Bend

Single-Sixer
I don't know what Ruger will say when they see it but I'm betting that the BC didn't shoot to point of aim so someone tried to "regulate" it by tweaking the barrel. Not a good idea with alloy frames!

Flash

Buckeye
Aggie01":pokql55u said:
8pointer":pokql55u said:
Finally got this thing shipped out to Ruger last Thursday. Added photo above.
5 bucks says you will never see it again.
I have to agree with the fact that you won't see it again. Not too shure about what they'll offer you but consider your Bearcat gone. It would have served better as a parts gun.

WANT A LCR 22LR

Bearcat
Aggie01":3brv5btf said:
5 bucks says you will never see it again.

Yep, Rugers policy states worn, damaged or factory installed only parts won't be returned. It is unlikely the gun or parts will be sent back. Someone on another forum sent back a current production revolver that was shot with a 9MM ( yes hit with a 9mm slug just aft of the cylinder damaging the frame ) , the damaged Ruger would not be returned. After some noise on the gun owners part, some deal was worked out on the purchase of a new gun.

Best outcome of of the current situation is to call Ruger and have the gun sent back before they open the box. When asking for a retun, don't tell them the is damaged.