Bearcat Cracked Frame - Photo added

Help Support Ruger Forum:

flatgate

Hawkeye
I would imagine it would be a "no problem" situation.

A current production barrel would be an easy install, along with the transfer bar lockwork, of course.....

109357148.jpg

flatgate

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
:? Ya' Know, none of you, or us, were there when this occurred. So, skip the less than required pipe wrench theory(s). Ruger may do the right thing. It's worth a try. Ask them to send it back if they can do nothing with it. Supply no info and advise that it is an item that has no history, adding that you would like a working firearm, PERIOD>!! (On the other hand, I heard that indiana Jones used it to stop the big rock ball in his first adventure seeking the golden skull..................) :wink: :shock: :roll:

desertrat

Single-Sixer
SteveRuger":r4hk0yyr said:
That frame is Aluminum & is Toast! Great parts gun..

When did Ruger start making the Bearcat frames out of aluminum? I know the backstrap is brass on the older ones and some other alloy on the newer, but never heard of them using alum on frames.

. . . and the "backstraps" have never been brass. The trigger guards were aluminum, anodized to look like brass. Later, the guards were made of blue-anodized aluminum. And still later, on the Super Bearcats, the trigger guards were blued steel to go along with the steel main frame.

;)

Good question. One rarely sees Bearcats "parted out".

You would have for sale:

Grip panels
Cylinder
Trigger guard
Set of "working parts" or individual pieces if that's how you chose to do it
Mainspring/strut ass'y
Base pin
Base pin latch pieces
Ejector rod/spring/housing
Loading gate and spring
And I suppose the barrel, as well

Nice assortment of goodies there. Properly done, those could price out to nearly the price of a complete gun . . . maybe more, depending on who's doing the pricing.

:)

Greebe

Single-Sixer
If it's a parts gun I would have had the seller cut the rest of the frame in half so that you could buy it as a non gun. Just like they sell the surplus rifles with the receivers cut. That way you wouldn't have to do the background check for parts.

Greebe

8pointer

Single-Sixer
Well guys, here is the update. Ruger notified me that the Bearcat could not be repaired (no surprise there). As compensation, they offered to sell me a new Bearcat at the discounted price. They also indicated that if I wasn't interested in another Bearcat, they would sell me another Ruger firearm of my choice at a discounted price. I really have no interest in a New Model Bearcat, so I wound up with a brand new Super Redhawk Alaskan .454 Casull for about 40% percent of the suggested retail price. The Alaskan arrived yesterday :D

G2

Hunter
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

~$400 :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Well I must say that was above and beyond. It's good to see RUGER stepin up!!

You will enjoy the Alaskan, I'm not much of a DA guy but I really do enjoy shooting mine.

resident

Single-Sixer
Aggie01":2526q4z4 said:
8pointer":2526q4z4 said:
Finally got this thing shipped out to Ruger last Thursday. Added photo above.
5 bucks says you will never see it again.

Well...actually it cost you 60% PLUS the $5 bucks, if you took the bet! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Terry T

Buckeye
Talk about 'working the system'. Hmmmmm - much more value in a busted frame than one might assume at first glance. :shock:
Terry T

bamboogtp

Bearcat
8pointer":14d9atee said:
Well guys, here is the update. Ruger notified me that the Bearcat could not be repaired (no surprise there). As compensation, they offered to sell me a new Bearcat at the discounted price. They also indicated that if I wasn't interested in another Bearcat, they would sell me another Ruger firearm of my choice at a discounted price. I really have no interest in a New Model Bearcat, so I wound up with a brand new Super Redhawk Alaskan .454 Casull for about 40% percent of the suggested retail price. The Alaskan arrived yesterday :D

have fun with that, I traded my .454 for a gun that was less expensive to shoot, that's how I ended up with the SBH. I sometimes miss my Ragin Bull, but I really like the look and single action of the SBH.

bottom line, sounds like you got a great deal and congrats on your new hand cannon.

Rclark

Hunter
Talk about 'working the system'. Hmmmmm - much more value in a busted frame than one might assume at first glance.
whew, your right! Let me get this straight ... One buys an obviously junked/broken gun at a gunshow.... Send it on to Ruger .... and they give you 40% off any another gun..... Sounds like one could get a 'racket' goin' here!

One think, it will much harder to bust the top strap on the Alaskan!

flatgate

Hawkeye
I had a BC-4 that got caught up in a rapidly closed full sized Pick-Up door.

The main frame was busted in half. I parted it out after researching my options....

flatgate

chet15

Hawkeye
8pointer":w9k8sahl said:
I spoke with Ruger Customer Service this morning. They were very polite but non-committal. Basically I need to ship the revolver to them to inspect. Afterwards they will contact me to discuss the path forward. I guess I have nothing to lose other than the shipping costs. I'll try and get it sent out later this week and will post an update when I hear back from them.

At the very best, you may get a new gun out of it (don't count on it). At the very worst you might not get them to send anything back to you.
:cry: Chet15