Bearcat artcile in the back of American Rifleman

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
Just and fyi, I just received my latest American Rifleman (December 2009) and the last page has a short article on the Bearcat.

SBH4628

Blackhawk
weaselmeatgravy":360vhybr said:
Price actually got lower, kind of the opposite of what usually happens to gun prices. A year or so after the debut at $49.50, the Bearcat went down to $39.50.
They said the current value of $275.00 is the low price I was thinking?

wow, you guys gotta shop Ohio more often, low condition "shooters" are all over at that price and LESS, heck, Don picked up a 4 digit BC-4 last Maumee show for $260..........and I have sold a couple of NICE ones, in the 95% condition and could only get $300, $325 (2) at the last couple of shows????
in FACT, I "passed" on one that was a 5 digit gun, and the guy wanted $250 this past Medina gun show ( there were three of them at the show walking around)...........oh well The last one I had gotten in a trade with 'brass frame', and MINT in the box, 6 digit gun ,sold for $400 and I had that for at least 6 shows........
that article was "spot on" for a gun in the condition cited............

Terry T

Buckeye
"weaselmeatgravy",
I was one of those who paid the $49.50 price in 1960 only to see the price drop the next year. I used my paper route money. Took a while to get the $10 back. Of course, now my 'letter' series Bearcat, with box, is worth a bit more than the $49! Even discounting for inflation! It's been a faithful companion for 50 years. :D
Terry T

flatgate

Hawkeye
rugerguy":8q233q2s said:
Wow, you guys gotta shop Ohio more often....

I know, I know.......it's Ruger Heaven!

Let's see, I go to shows in SD, WY, ID, CO, UT and sometimes MT.

I'VE NEVER SEEN, in at least the last 20 years, a Bearcat priced at $275!!!

NEVER.

:roll:

flatgate

PS I think those Easterners would clutch their wallets, have a stroke and fall over dead if they walked around one of the shows around here :D

americal

Hunter
Whitmore-- got my issue to went to back FIRST :) good write up saw price thought NO WAY on the price :shock: seems like every time I see price quote on some t.v. gunshow or see quote in gun magazine price real low on old model Rugers :? sure do not want them to get totally out of reach in price but good grief 275 dollars as a set price :!: I would call that A steal & we all like a good price ever so often or maybe once :) American rifleman I believe the most well known Rugers guys know better :lol:

mattsbox99

Hunter
flatgate":tuhyi6pp said:
rugerguy":tuhyi6pp said:
Wow, you guys gotta shop Ohio more often....

I know, I know.......it's Ruger Heaven!

Let's see, I go to shows in SD, WY, ID, CO, UT and sometimes MT.

I'VE NEVER SEEN, in at least the last 20 years, a Bearcat priced at $275!!!

I've never seen a Bearcat at a show here in MT or WY priced much less than a new one. Retail right now is about $379+

Three50seven

Buckeye
I noticed the appraisal too, $275 for a 4-digit Bearcat? I'd sure like to buy guns from the guy who dreamed that up!

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Ahhhhhhhhh, Stalwarts, it is a simple formulae for a Plot. The Writer is in cahoots with some major Collector and they decide to lowball the value so the Collector can snap up all those cheap bearcats across the entire country. 8) :wink: It remains on a parallel with the subject of grading and high values in the Blue book. Once in the hands of the less informed, each of their guns is automatically in the 98 to 100 percent price range. :shock: :roll: :?

Snake45

Hawkeye
Terry T":24rs62uu said:
Of course, now my 'letter' series Bearcat, with box, is worth a bit more than the $49! Even discounting for inflation! It's been a faithful companion for 50 years. :D
Terry T
According to an online inflation calculator:

What cost $49.50 in 1960 would cost $356.02 in 2008.

Latest posts