Bearcat accuracy

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BisleyBuff

Bearcat
What kind of accuracy can I expect from my older new model bearcat?

I have tried a large variety of CB Longs and Shorts and can't seem to get better than a 1" group at about 15 feet. Is that normal? (it could be me).

I was planning on using it as my trapline gun since it's so small and light. But I need to be sure I can make an ethical kill.

Just want to confirm what I should expect given the fixed sights.

Thanks!

Every revolver is different, so without a lot of experimentation, it's difficult to predict if your Bearcat is super-accurate, or maybe not so much.

My experience is they can be quite accurate, but they're not always easy for just anybody to shoot well. Rudimentary sights with a tiny little grip requires a lot of practice to learn to shoot these revolvers well, and to precisely duplicate your shooting discipline shot after shot. I'm not being condescending, as this also applies very much to me.

Over and above this, the condition and size of the bore and cylinder chambers can very much dictate which ammunition your revolver might prefer. A CB or other short also just might not obturate enough in your barrel to get duplicate velocities and duplicate bullet stabilization.

A new barrel can have millions of microscopic imperfections that get smoothed out somewhat by continual shooting and cleaning. These cleanings can also remove lead deposits that can have an extreme impact on accuracy.

Don't give up. Keep shooting this revolver. And try some different ammo. Maybe lots of different kinds.

Now for a little story. One particular Single Six I own, from the first time I shot it, I was horribly disappointed with the accuracy. I bought a Paco Kelly Accuriz'r tool, and enlarged the bullets slightly on my .22 ammo. It made a huge and immediate difference. Then thru laziness, I used this Paco tool less and less, and finally not at all. But... For whatever reason, this revolver now shoots extremely well with most out of the box ammo. There are always exceptions.

Was it the many cleanings that fixed this gun, or the deposits, copper/lead/lube, filling the imperfections?

woodsy

Blackhawk
So, just for giggles, any idea how to order that Paco Kelly tool online? I looked at several places (via google) and could not find it offered, though several forums discuss it. (I am a tool freak by nature and former occupations).

Click on this...

However, I don't know that this site is current. The website itself is inactive. :unsure:

Screenshot 2022-07-17 at 12-15-54 https __www.leverguns.com.png

Last edited:

Cholo

Staff member
I have extensive experience with the CCI CB Longs and I would never use them for accuracy testing. I've used them since '76 until around '18 for pest control in a Rem. 581. Where I could cut small cloverleafs with CCI Mini Mags at 25 yds., I got 1" groups with the CB Longs. I bought 2 bricks of the CCI 22LR now called Quiets. Short, Long, LR's all shoot at 710 fps. The shorts and Longs shoot 29 gr. bullets, the LR's shoot a 40 gr. bullet.

Anyway, I took the 581 and my CZ 452 to the range for some accuracy testing. I was surprised the CZ hated the CB longs (Quiets) and stacked the 40 gr. LR Quiets. Wow! After 44 years of sitting by my back door the 581 is now retired in favor of the CZ.

Try the Bearcat with regular 36-40 gr. LR's and see how it does. I benched mine well over 20 years ago with my favorite LR ammo at the time--Winchester Power Points. It is difficult to shoot well for the reasons WAYNO mentioned. I only shot 6 shots but they were perfectly centered at 25 yds into 2 1/2". I just wanted to know it the windage/elevation was right, and it was. I'm sure it's capable of much better accuracy than that if I did more bench testing.

My CZ didn't like the excellent Winchester CB Match Longs shooting a 29 gr. bullet at 770 fps. either and my 581 likes them. I think if you get away from these slow light bullets you'll see what your Bearcat is capable of.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Try a variety of the various CB type loads.

As noted , due to the size , it is trickier for people with big hands to get full accuracy potential from a Bearcat .

How long are your typical distances ? I hunt , but not trap . But my general impressions are that shooting trapped animals is usually an up close proposition .

We don't know what size ctitters you're trapping , is a CB powerful enough ? Would .22 Short , or the ballistically similar CCI Quiet a viable option for you ?

contender

Ruger Guru
Your Bearcat should be fine as a trapline gun. As noted,, hand size & ammo are but a few considerations for what's "accurate."

And as a professional trapper,, (full time ADC) I know the requirements for such a gun. Many critters are shot up close & personal. But a skunk,, is usually a longer distance proposition. And as such the target is small, and a more precise shot placement is desired.
The use of CB's is to minimize pelt damage. Sadly,, not too many choices in ammo brands that offer CB's.

For the OP; PM me,, and we can discuss the issue of a skunk in a trap & all if you wish.

noahmercy

Blackhawk
My stainless New Model Bearcat is exceedingly accurate with high-velocity ammo, but only "meh" with CBs and CB Longs. I have found that Aguila Colibri and Super Colibri are a little more accurate from it than the CCI stuff, but not good enough for me to use them for pest control in that gun. On average, groups from my Bearcat are four times as large with the low-powered ammo as with full-powered.

The only time I've had 'accuracy issues' on the trapline was when I caught a skunk and failed to head shoot it from 25'. Coons, possums, and other small critters don't require pinpoint accuracy @4'. I currently use CCI 'QUIET' ammo which is significantly more accurate than any other low noise ammo I've tried.
Trapped coyotes are typically shot behind the front shoulder with a 17HMR from a distance to reduce pull-outs from approaching too close.