Bear protection advice needed

Help Support Ruger Forum:

s2harry

Bearcat
50f7 - I guess "Dogs" around here refers to city mutts and Oscar Mayer. So I was reading that in a Mountain Lion article and yeah it probably does not refer to hunting dogs or trained ones. Not my area, however if it gets scared it will run to daddy wont it? Are you number 5 of 7 kids?

5of7

Hunter
s2harry said:
50f7 - I guess "Dogs" around here refers to city mutts and Oscar Mayer. So I was reading that in a Mountain Lion article and yeah it probably does not refer to hunting dogs or trained ones. Not my area, however if it gets scared it will run to daddy wont it? Are you number 5 of 7 kids?

Yes, I am no. 5 of 7 kids. 8)

hoser

Bearcat
tek4260 said:
Not a bear, but it didn't seem too hard to stop :)

http://blog.lynncthompson.com/2011/11/buffalo-charge.html

Agree with bear spray (and dogs), but this video seems to make the case for Double Action sidearms as back up or last ditch defense over a SA...doesn't it?

hoser

Bearcat
Looked like some sort of Super Redhawk in 480 or 454. But I'm totally guessing!

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
DennisE said:
LOL! I saw on Walker, Texas Ranger that if you made direct eye contact with the bear and stood your ground that the bear would acknowlege you and retreat. Anyone tried this? Dennis
A couple years ago a fellow in Eagle River, Alaska left a friend's house at 2 AM and met up with a Brown Bear. Got into a fistfight with the animal.

He won the fight. That is, he didn't spend too long in the hospital and had no permanent damage and he got a great story out of it.

My point is, it depends on the bear and a lot of luck at the time.

Conventional wisdom is that a Blackie will back off if you challenge. A Grizzly won't. So you roll up into a ball, play dead and protect the back of your neck.

So, here we have one encounter where facing down the bear and fighting him off worked on a Brown Bear where the proper choice is to play dead.

http://www.adn.com/2008/08/05/484087/eagle-river-man-fights-attacking.html

An another exception to the rule is Greg Brush's August 2009 encounter with a Brownie near Soldotna, AK. One, Greg's dog was completely unaware of the bear. Two, the bear was intent (by all evidence) on actually eating this human. Usually Brownies don't, though Black Bears will.

"It was a big boar, roughly 15 to 20 years old, but in poor body condition for this time of year. He was very thin and had significant tooth wear," said Jeff Selinger, area wildlife biologist with the Alaska Department of Fish and Game. "Very thin" is a relative term. He weighed 900 lbs and had lost enough weight that his ribs clearly showed (even below his fur) in pictures I (Lost Sheep) saw.

http://peninsulaclarion.com/stories/080709/out_478669517.shtml

Every encounter is a crap shoot and no predictions can be made about any PARTICULAR encounter, though statistics can help us better prepare.

The 480 has more mass and frontal area, the 454 has more energy. Either one will do an admirable job, but shot placement trumps EVERYTHING when the chips are down and the ballistic choices are so close together.

hoser

Bearcat
Would you opt for double action over a single action wheelgun though? Seems like that makes more sense in surprise encounter. When you're busy soiling yourself, will you remember to cock the gun?! ;)

dlhredfoxx

Single-Sixer
Would agree with DA as a first choice over SA, in the unlikely event you have time to get more than one shot off before the bear makes first contact. DA would also be an advantage if you've been hit so you can shoot one handed at point blank while the bear is chewing on you. Both DA or SA hold 5 or 6 rounds (or 4 if you have a Freedom Arms SA) and you'll be lucky to get off 1, maybe 2 shots in most instances where a surprise encounter occurs. Point is, making a good first shot in the CNS of the bear is priority # uno in my opinion. Quality of the shot (a CNS hit) trumps quantity of shots any day of the week, IMO.

5of7

Hunter
dlhredfoxx said:
Would agree with DA as a first choice over SA, in the unlikely event you have time to get more than one shot off before the bear makes first contact. DA would also be an advantage if you've been hit so you can shoot one handed at point blank while the bear is chewing on you. Both DA or SA hold 5 or 6 rounds (or 4 if you have a Freedom Arms SA) and you'll be lucky to get off 1, maybe 2 shots in most instances where a surprise encounter occurs. Point is, making a good first shot in the CNS of the bear is priority # uno in my opinion. Quality of the shot (a CNS hit) trumps quantity of shots any day of the week, IMO.

Hence the need to know that the bear is there BEFORE the bear makes his move.

For that, a well trained dog will be of great value. 8)

steve b

Single-Sixer
I recall reading that some think that having a dog along may trip off an attack. I don't really agree with that thought, or at give it little credence. I do agree with 5of7, the early warning from a dog, would be worth it. At least with the right dog. steve b

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
hoser said:
tek4260 said:
Not a bear, but it didn't seem too hard to stop :)

http://blog.lynncthompson.com/2011/11/buffalo-charge.html

Agree with bear spray (and dogs), but this video seems to make the case for Double Action sidearms as back up or last ditch defense over a SA...doesn't it?

No, unless you are not proficient with a single action. You have to decide if a single action or a double action is right for you.

dlhredfoxx

Single-Sixer
That bull was dead (or at least immobilized) on the first shot, the rest were just "insurance" I guess. Lynn could have used a SA in this instance since awesome shot placement anchored the bull on the first shot. And the rate at which he fired the next three shots in DA could have easily been replicated in SA mode as well, especially by him (or any other seasoned/experienced SA shooter). So I wonder why Lynn carries a DA SRH. Seems counter intuitive for a guy who hunts Asiatic Buffalo with a spear... from a self-handicapping perspective anyway. Should have been carrying a rock or a club as a back up. :)

MaxP

Buckeye
dlhredfoxx said:
So I wonder why Lynn carries a DA SRH. Seems counter intuitive for a guy who hunts Asiatic Buffalo with a spear... from a self-handicapping perspective anyway. Should have been carrying a rock or a club as a back up. :)

I think I can answer this question. As a visiting hunter, you cannot bring your own handgun to Australia. Basiucally, the outfitter has to supply the gun. So, it's not Lynn's revolver.

mattsbox99

Hunter
I see lots of black and grizzly bears at work, most of the time I only see their rumps because they are already running away and the others quickly turn and run. I do carry pepper spray but I've never felt the need to use it.

Olsherm

Blackhawk
I know nothing of the laws or bears for that matter except I would really respect them at a long distance.But I did not think you would be allowed to carry any kind of firearm into the Parks legally?? If the bear don't get you the wardens will maybe. By the way story goes that my great grandfather whipped a Missouri Black bear off once in the way back years with his old hat.he supposedly rounded a curve in the ozark mountain trail and came face to face with the bear. Both were supprised so Grandpaw whipped off his old hat(all he had) and whipped the bear swiftly in the face until it left.I guess that would be better than trying to outrun one huh?

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
Olsherm said:
I know nothing of the laws or bears for that matter except I would really respect them at a long distance.But I did not think you would be allowed to carry any kind of firearm into the Parks legally?? If the bear don't get you the wardens will maybe. By the way story goes that my great grandfather whipped a Missouri Black bear off once in the way back years with his old hat.he supposedly rounded a curve in the ozark mountain trail and came face to face with the bear. Both were supprised so Grandpaw whipped off his old hat(all he had) and whipped the bear swiftly in the face until it left.I guess that would be better than trying to outrun one huh?

It is a fairly new regulation that State Parks follow conceal carry laws the same that state they are in does. If the state honors your conceal carry permit then you are allowed to carry in the park, but not the buildings if signed. But there is a lot of national forest and BLM land in the Rockies (and I assume Alaska) that you can carry and hunt in.

Reactions: wws
I haven't read all the comments, I've got 33 years experience in Alaska with black bears, grizzlies, and even polar bears up on the North Slope of Alaska.
Handguns are far more effective than most people understand. Max sent me this video in 2016 so with some practice should give you an idea what's possible.