Help Support Ruger Forum:

5of7

Hunter
jpickar said:
CraigC and 5of7

You guys need to get outside more often! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

John

Indeed?

Tell me....what have I posted here that would make you think that I don't get outside often? 8)

steve b

Single-Sixer
WOW ! Nothing like getting people to wrap their minds around finding themselves right back in the food chain to cause some excitement. Stay safe folks. steve b

CraigC

Hawkeye
5of7 said:
jpickar said:
CraigC and 5of7

You guys need to get outside more often! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

John

Indeed?

Tell me....what have I posted here that would make you think that I don't get outside often? 8)
That's all he's gonna do, step in and throw a jab every now and then. Because he has nothing else.

BearBio

Buckeye
FYI: I was a bit testy last night as I was fleeing back from the wet side just ahead of a snowstorm. I had just got in. I had attended a scientific workshop at the University on forest management techniques (specific for wildlife) to face climate change.

What is pertinent to this conversation was I had breakfast yesterday with a group of mammalogists that included a several eastern Washington biologists (including our local grizzly & black bear expert) and a biologist from Canadian forest service. He and I were discussing bear attacks and what defenses we are issued/have available. He made the comment that most bear victims they find still have their rifles on their shoulders!

Just something to think about.

5of7

Hunter
BearBio said:
What is pertinent to this conversation was I had breakfast yesterday with a group of mammalogists that included a several eastern Washington biologists (including our local grizzly & black bear expert) and a biologist from Canadian forest service. He and I were discussing bear attacks and what defenses we are issued/have available. He made the comment that most bear victims they find still have their rifles on their shoulders!

Just something to think about.

Which would seem to support my earlier post in which I said that the two best defenses against bear attacks are a well trained dog and situational awareness.

Pretty much the same as applies to the south side of Chicago on a Saturday night.

Verndog

Blackhawk
Here is the best protection I've seen so far....her name is Brooke Collins and she can handle bears single handedly. 8)

ap110830018203.grid-4x2.jpg

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/44349...hes-bear-face-save-her-tiny-dog/#.Tyld2YHZ59s

308longdistance

Blackhawk
5of7 said:
Which would seem to support my earlier post in which I said that the two best defenses against bear attacks are a well trained dog and situational awareness.

Pretty much the same as applies to the south side of Chicago on a Saturday night.

Daughter was having trouble with bears, NW Montana. Bought this old girl as a puppy. She turned into a great bear stopper. Changed the Grizzlies routine and they skirted the property, treed several black bear and they pretty much stayed away. Never had to train her. She never bothered the deer or turkeys, just disliked bears.

bigfork5-05123.jpg

deercat014.jpg

MontanaTripJune2009150.jpg

First spring after the old girl died.

Bear147.jpg

5of7

Hunter
Interesting......but I was thinking more in terms of a dog alerting the hiker to the fact that there was a bear in the vicinity.

Thinking that the dog would know before a human would because of better hearing and a better olfactory sense.

That just might give the human a chance to prepare for the confrontation, you know, like getting the rifle off the sling and into the ready position. 8)

steve b

Single-Sixer
I'm not necessarily in agreement, but some have said,having a dog along, may attract large predators in the first place. My opinion here, not fully formed yet. Am a dog person myself, just home from the hills, with dog. steve b

308longdistance

Blackhawk
5of7 said:
Thinking that the dog would know before a human would because of better hearing and a better olfactory sense.
8)

Absolutely. The dog was always with the family. Around the property, and camping. When the dog stopped and stared into the woods or put it's nose up into the wind, everybody stopped and stared.

tek4260

Buckeye
Not to sound cold hearted, but a dog might be your best bet. Maybe the bear would go for the dog and give you time to fight or flee....

paul105

Single-Sixer
Funny story relating to both bears and dogs.

I belong to the local archery club. We have an outdoor walking course – 28 targets front and 28 targets back – sort of like archery golf. Depending upon how many arrows you shoot at each target, it takes at least an hour to walk one side of the course. It is set up so that you are taking realistic outdoor shots (uphill, down hill, partially obscured, under differing wind and lighting conditions) and meanders through parks, up small hills, across draws and gullies thru timber, etc. It is not uncommon to see deer, elk, moose and coyotes. Mountain lion, bear and wolf sightings have been reported in the area. As long as the weather is decent (no deep snow and target butts not frozen) I walk the course with the dogs 4 or 5 days a week six or seven months of the year. Anyway, one day I was finishing up the front side course. There is a partially timbered hill on the left before it opens into a small park. My yellow lab was out of sight and suddenly broke the timber on my left at a full run. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a big black four legged animal in hot pursuit. My mind screamed "BEAR!" I dumped the bow and grabbed the S&W 329PD .44 Mag that is my everyday companion. My heart was beating about 200 beats per minute before I realized it was another archer's big black rottweiler and the dogs were just playing. This stuff seems to happen when you least expect it – when your mind is off somewhere else daydreaming or whatever.

If your are around dogs long enough, you can read a lot from their actions -- if you are paying attention.

Paul

DennisE

Single-Sixer
LOL! I saw on Walker, Texas Ranger that if you made direct eye contact with the bear and stood your ground that the bear would acknowlege you and retreat. Anyone tried this? Dennis

BearBio

Buckeye
Generally, making eye contact is bad. It's interpreted by most animals as a threat or challenge.

At Central Washington University, they have an excellent primate exhibit (you get to inter-act with sign language chimps). They tell you not to look directly at them, face to face as it's considered aggressive.

While doing research, I was bluff charged once by one of my radio-tagged bears (425 lb black bear). Three things to note: 1) Bears are FAST!, 2) Bears are FAST and, did I mention, bears are FAST~! All I had time to do was open up my windbreaker, wave my arms and shout. He stopped about 5-7 feet from me , slapped the ground, and ran off. I went back to my truck until I stopped shaking. I also realized, unless you are Bob Munden, you are not getting a gun out of a holster in time or a rifle/shotgun off your shoulder (see my earlier post about what I was told by a Canadian Forest Service Biologist just this last Tuesday).

ps: It's all a crap shoot anyways. Whatever you do, whatever you choose to carry, all you are doing is betting on what you think the odds are and trying to make them a little better in your favor. It boils down to what the bear decides to do.

csnider

Single-Sixer
Last summer three of us were running the Killik River up in Alaska which is about 300+ miles northwest of Fairbanks. We rented an electric bear fence that is powered by 4 D cell batteries to form a perimeter around our campsite when sleeping. Had been told they were very effective and they encompass a very large area to accommodate tents, gear and in our case canoes.

After 10 days and our last day on the river we discovered that we had not been turning on the activation switch. Guess it still worked as we had no unwelcome bear guest the entire trip. I also slept with a Glock 20 and we had 3 canisters of bear spray too.

Charlie, aka csnider

Chris

Blackhawk
Well Said...... Interesting and informative thread, even at almost 2 years old

ps: It's all a crap shoot anyways. Whatever you do, whatever you choose to carry, all you are doing is betting on what you think the odds are and trying to make them a little better in your favor. It boils down to what the bear decides to do.[/quote]

Three44s

Single-Sixer
Two Montana bow hunters killed an aggressive
female grizzly bear on October 8,
2007. "One of them used bear pepper spray
and halted a charge within nine feet, but the
grizzly turned and charged a second time.
That's when the second hunter shot it twice
with a .44 Magnum pistol."

There is little doubt that a bear that straight in charges right out of the blue is VERY hard to stop before the intented victim is injured or killed ......... with anything!

But there are plenty of cases where a bear IS seen OR does a modified charge and there IS TIME to do something positive.

I chose handguns ......... big ones!

Whatever the rule is with primates and eye contact being counterproductive .......... I am not ready to jetison eye contact with our local predators.

I had an employee who had just been schooled on proper cougar edicate use it to likely save himself with his newly learned skill ........ @ 20 feet with a cat that sports a five inch front paw!

And I am willing to bet my life on it working on a bear, particularily if I am armed until I am sufficiently convinced otherwise.

Best regards

Three 44s

(and a .480)

s2harry

Bearcat
Oh yeah this is a good one...
Dogs? They run and bring the Cougar or Bear RIGHT TO YOU!
44 Mag? 300 gr hard cast lead flat point. Smallest caliber for all Bears.
(What caliber rifle do they shoot Griz? .338, .300 Win Mag, 44 is small.....)
Bear Spray in a chest holder not on your side or in your pack.
Friend with 45-70 as back up Never go out alone you may not come back.

5of7

Hunter
s2harry said:
Oh yeah this is a good one...
Dogs? They run and bring the Cougar or Bear RIGHT TO YOU!
44 Mag? 300 gr hard cast lead flat point. Smallest caliber for all Bears.
(What caliber rifle do they shoot Griz? .338, .300 Win Mag, 44 is small.....)
Bear Spray in a chest holder not on your side or in your pack.
Friend with 45-70 as back up Never go out alone you may not come back.

I agree with this except for the part about dogs.

A well trained dog will not be bounding around the area. He will be at his master's side and will know about the bear a lot quicker than his master and will alert him to the danger, allowing for a little preparation.

Remember the rule of the 6 Ps.....Prior Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.... 8)