Be careful if you have an AETNA Medicare supplemental policy (UPDATE)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cholo

Staff member
I do, and it's taken directly out of my checking account every month. 2 days ago I got an official looking letter from "AETNA" stating:

"Please update your automatic payment information.

You requested to pay your premiums through recurring credit or debit card deductions. However, your last automatic credit or debit card payment dated June 9, 2022 was rejected or was only partially paid by your bank for one of the following reasons:"

(Blah Blah Blah) Call this number to update your CC info blah blah blah.

I called my bank and this months premium was taken out in full right on time. The AETNA card I carry doesn't have a phone # to call so I got one online at www.aetnaseniorproducts.com I was immediately transferred to a really nice clear speaking American woman who said everything was fine. I asked her if she could check the Member ID number on the notice and she said AETNA doesn't use Member ID #'s, just Policy Number: XXXXXXX

The agent wasn't aware of any scam going around, but I'd double check anything regarding payments to AETNA and to call them direct at 800-587-5139 if you get the feeling something isn't right.

The entire time it took me to contact my bank and then AETNA was probably less than 20 minutes.

Last edited:

Montelores

Buckeye
(Blah Blah Blah) Call this number to update your CC info blah blah blah.

I'm sorry to have emphasized this, but it is the most crucial part of your post.

Do not call a number that is offered. Ever.

If you suspect a problem, find the definitive contact information from a source that you trust (your ID card, your statement, your log-in page, etc.), and use THAT number.

I'm sorry, but this even applies to the number that you posted above.

Don't believe anyone! Even Me!

Monty

P. S. It sounds like you did exactly what I described, so please don't take offense.

NDAR15MAN

Bearcat
I do not have any auto payment of bills out of checking account. I decide when I will pay them. You are asking for trouble going to auto pay.
I would find different insurance company. Marty

I do my auto pay stuff to a credit card then pay it with EFT that I initiate when needed. I figure the credit card has pretty good fraud protection and I'm
not liable if fraudulently used. Bank account that I use for the electronic transfers is set up to require double authentication so I figure I'm pretty safe.
I use auto pay for as much as possible, tend to trust it waaaay more than the postal service.

Cholo

Staff member
Today I received my Medicare Rx statement and guess what it says at the top. On the far right AETNA. The card I carry has no reference to AETNA being the underwriter. This policy does have a Member ID. They still had my old CC# that was hacked even though my records indicate I called them and gave the new CC on a specific date and time date 4 months ago. Apparently they didn't change it.

I've noticed that the CC company I use will still deduct known companies I use monthly for deductions for a number of months before they stop.

If the bill I thought was fraudulent had the company's name at the top like my statement does and Rx Card does, it would have been settled. This was no big deal, but 2 mistakes were made.

1) On them--they didn't change my account with my new CC info 4 months ago. The "fraudulent" letter I got has no reference to the name on my Rx Card.

2) On me--The statements have the name on my Rx Card at the top. On the far right it says AETNA. I never even noticed it.

Such is life, and all is good :)

Latest posts