BE-86 in 44 mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

onehandgunner

Single-Sixer
Thursday I received my 8# jug oh BE-86 from Powder Valley. I have found very little info on loads for the 44 Mag. ( been searching for 2 months ). Lots of stuff on 45 Colt and 44 Spcl. as well as other calibers. I have seen Alliant's load data but I would like to read about personal use. Rclark, I have read all of your test data and comparisons of the 45 Colt and 44 Spcl. that are on this forum, have you done any testing on the 44 Mag. ? There is some stuff on the Smith & Wesson forum but not much. The reloading manuals are lacking, of course Alliant has data but not much. If they could be as concise as Hodgdon that would be great. Thanks, Jerry

Rclark

Hunter
Jerry, looking at my notes, I never did get around to testing BE-86 in the .44 Magnum. Going to have to rectify that at some point! However looking at the data I've collected in the other cartridges, I would treat it much like Unique. I'd start testing at around 7.5gn and work up to 10gn under 240g SWC (the bullet I use) and see what where that gets me. From what I've read it can be loaded a bit warmer... But this would be a good starting place. Personally over the chronograph, I wouldn't exceed 1100fps out of a 6 1/2" barrel as a 'rule of thumb'. YMMV of course.... BE-86 isn't a 'Magnum' powder (like 2400, w296/h110) so don't treat it as such. It's a medium load powder. Hope that helps....

onehandgunner

Single-Sixer
I am doing a weather watch this AM. We are supposed to have rain all week, but this is New Mexico, it never rains where it is supposed to. I have 10 each of 7gr, 7.5gr and 8gr of BE-86 loaded with a 240gr RNFP from MBC ( cowboy #13 ). All I can test for now is group size and how that load feels in my hand. I know that I will not need a load over 950/1000 fps a 850 fps load that has a good group is what I am looking for. My 44's are my fun guns and if need be I have 2400 if serious fps is needed. When you do get some data on the 44 mag let me know. Thanks Richard. Jerry

onehandgunner

Single-Sixer
7.5gr of BE-86 is/was the best group of the 3 loads fired and the group size was less than half of a 7.5gr Universal powder group that I also fired this AM as a comparison. It felt good in the hand with a very slight and easy muzzle flip. Just what I want. Now to shoot the 2,000+ rounds of Universal that are already loaded. Richard my gun has a 5.5" barrel so it should be a pinch less than what your 6.5" will generate. So I am waiting to hear/read your test results. I am glad that I found info on BE-86. Thanks, Jerry

Rclark

Hunter
Yeah might be waiting a while :) Ha! Haven't even seen the powder on the shelf for quite some time and I don't have any here. But I will buy a pound now if I run onto some.

Glad you found an easy shooting load that works for you too.