BBQ vs Court Guns - let's see em.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

C3Ranger

Bearcat
Double duty...

For heading straight to the barbecue from court. Understated enough for court and showy enough for the party?

1989 Gold Cup National Match with bone grips.

Attachments

• DSCN7334.JPG
    DSCN7334.JPG
    288.9 KB · Views: 50

BearBiologist

Buckeye
Years ago, I collected Colts and defined a BBQ gun on the Colt Forum. If I remember, it was:

Forty caliber or better (357 Magnum is acceptable, as are some 9mms), capable of taking down whatever was on the grill. Preferably a revolver made by Colt or S & W, although 1911s, 1935s and 1909s were acceptable. Preferably engraved (Wolf & Klar a plus) and/or nickel plated. Grips of a natural material, preferably animal-based. Leather custom or from EPS, Heiser, etc., carved or basket weave. Belt, boots, and hatband should match leather gear. Matching pocketknife a plus. Extra points if you took it from a man trying to kill you.

Not really BBQ guns but matching Colt SAAs with real ivory grips (pre-ban):
Colt SAA.jpg

1901 Colt Bisley, shipped 1901 to Mexico City, Cottage engraved on the "Rez", carved real ivory with ruby eyes.

41 Bisley.jpg

.41 Long Colt SAA, 1906, real pear grips:

41 colt pearl grips.jpg

Another showing some leatherwork as well (EPS)

Colt pearls 2.jpg

And a 1911 just for kicks:

Colt 1911 stags.jpg

Here in eastern WA, wearing guns to a BBQ is still acceptable (don't know for how long....)

I've got a polished stainless .45 Vaquero. It's going to be my BBQ gun. Planning a RW gripframe, Chigs grips, some engraving, and nice leather. Here's the raw canvas- I'm trying to decide if I want an aluminum grip frame polished up as close to stainless as possible, or do a polished brass grip frame.

9274A83D-FE6A-45BF-B38B-43ED4AE291BB.jpeg