BBQ...Is this safe?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mike J

Hunter
I believe you might remember a thread I started. I think it was a year or a year & a half ago. I was going to look for it a little but I'm not patient enough to take the time to find it.

The people across the street had a propane grill right against the back of their home. Either the tank was not attached correctly, or the seal was damaged or missing. The man said they had just changed the tank. When they lit the grill fire spewed out of it where the hose connects to the tank. It was against vinyl siding. The siding caught fire though the homeowner said he was wetting it down trying to keep it from catching. From there the fire went right up into the eaves & into the attic. The whole house was on fire in short order.

The grill was behind their home. I was sitting on my front porch. It took me a couple of minutes to figure out what was going on. First, I heard popping noises. I thought they might be running some sort of equipment. Then I saw white smoke (steam from where the homeowner was wetting the siding down}. Finally, I saw flames shooting across the roof. That was when I ran across the street. They were coming out of the house. I asked if everyone was out. They were. I realized then that I don't think I could have made it in. It was very hot.

I should have probably acted sooner but I didn't really know what was going on & I generally try to mind my own business. I thought they were running some kind of equipment & burning trash.

We have both a charcoal grill & a propane one on the concrete patio outside our back door. They are a few feet from the house though & they are not positioned with the back of the grill facing the house.

KIR

Blackhawk
when the title has "bbq" in it, less talk about grills, covers, fire, etc. and more talk about the meats themselves...Yesterday went to the Best in the West Rib Cook Off in Sparks, NV. How do you like your bbq? pork ribs, burnt ends, pulled pork, brisket, pulled chicken...don't matter, anything slathered in various sauces works for me...lest we forget a Micheloeb Ultra to wash it all down with. Did I forget the bourbon baked beans? What's your fave? Sorry, if I stole this thread.

eveled

Hunter
I guess the answer is no grills are not safe. People become complacent and dont leave room for the inevitable malfunction.

Like a car. Proper maintenance. Proper use. Common sense. All minimize the risks involved.

All of the manuals I’ve read say at least 2 feet from combustible materials. It goes up as the BTU rating increases.

I believe you might remember a thread I started. I think it was a year or a year & a half ago. I was going to look for it a little but I'm not patient enough to take the time to find it.
Yes, I remember that thread. Lots of people commented on it.

This particular house is down at the beach. We bought a second home down there a while back. And this is our neighbor. His house is probably just 10 or 12 feet away.

Both houses have hardy board siding.

Last time I was down there. I looked over and the same neighbor with the bbq grill now has a giant 7 or 8 person hot tub up on the deck also.

I talked to a friend of ours that builds houses there at the beach. He said no way are those decks sturdy enough for hot tubs. So this neighbor doesn’t use very good common sense. I’ve only seen him a few times. They are just some nice retired people.

Next time I talk to my builder friend, I’ll ask him about the bbq grill. I wonder what he thinks.

Mike J

Hunter
Hardie Board siding is made of cement, sand & cellulose. I expect it would not be as flammable as vinyl. I still don't think it is a good idea to have a grill very close to the house. If something goes wrong it will make a problem worse. The house across the street has still not been rebuilt. The neighbor came back about a year ago & spent some time working with a bobcat. Grading & taking down trees. I don't know what the problem is. The last time I spoke to them they wanted to rebuild. Maybe they are having an issue with financing the rebuild.

I am checking behind my wife with the propane grill these days. The other night she came to me & said she couldn't get the valve on the propane tank to open. I went out there to see what was going on. She couldn't open it because it was already open from the last time she used it.