Bayonet for new AR 15 (M4)?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

fossils and guns

Single-Sixer
I just bought a new Colt M4 and I'm stoked (I love my Mini too :) ).

I was wondering, can I put a bayonet on my new AR? Forgive me, this is my 1st AR and I know very little (but learning fast).
What all would I need? Links would be great!

Thanks in advance,
Fossils

cruzerlou

Buckeye
that all depends .Is it a short handguard? or a mid length ? does it have a mill speck A2 type front sight? most m-4 style carbines the length from the muzzle to the hand guard is too long and if you don't have a standard A2 front sight and base you don't have a bayonet lug anyway .You may be able to buy some sort of clamp on lug from brownell's or any of the many other parts suppliers.My S&W M&P 15-t is a midleingth gun but it has a quad rail and a free floated barrel with troy inds. fold down sights and as you can see theres no baynoet lug on my gun .If they've gotten that close to me anyway a nice butstroke will do just fine or my 1911 or my gerber mk II
Lou
LousPics146.jpg

captainkirk

Blackhawk
cruzerlou":cq7o2cl9 said:
that all depends .Is it a short handguard? or a mid length ? does it have a mill speck A2 type front sight? most m-4 style carbines the length from the muzzle to the hand guard is too long and if you don't have a standard A2 front sight and base you don't have a bayonet lug anyway .You may be able to buy some sort of clamp on lug from brownell's or any of the many other parts suppliers.
Lou

What he said...

If the distance form the front sight (bayonet lug) is not maintained the same as the 20" model, it will likely not fit without alteration or some kind of "fix". "Mid length" models preserve this distance, while most carbines do not.

While a bayonet might seem nice, you stand a chance of royally screwing up your front sight base if you get too aggressive applying the point of your argument to something.

cruzerlou

Buckeye
Phantom makes a real cool flash hider with 4 sharp points on it .the Israel defence force equip there AR's with it .It's just as good as an A2 flash hider but with those 4 sharp points a jab to the face or neck will do some serous damage not to mention if you plant the muzzle against your appoints chest they can't just push it away cause it digs in .That will be my next upgrade for this rifle and there only about 30 bucks .You can get them from Brownells
Lou