Basic Dillon Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Everyone: Thanks for all this good information. It's all very helpful.

Contender: So with the caliber conversions, I don't need a new kit to switch from 38 to 357, is that correct?

It would be easier to get the quick change setup I see on their website. Along with another set of dies. So the dies don't need reset and the powder drop adjusted. Right?
"Contender: So with the caliber conversions, I don't need a new kit to switch from 38 to 357, is that correct?"

That is correct. I have the quick change for 38-357. But if I remember correctly all you need to change is the bullet seating/crimp die and the powder amount /powder check. NO BIG DEAL.

"Jim, I was going to say that's a pretty small table you have for reloading, but I see it's weighted down sufficiently!"

If you are efficient and using a smooth running 650 you don't need a big HEAVY table.:) Notice there are 3 presses mounted on that small table. Also I have the 650 mounted on a piece of plywood and clamped to the table so that I could take it with me when I was working out of town. All I had to do was clamp it to the kitchen table and I was ready to reload which I did many 1000s of rounds.

By the way Pilgrim the Matt Bob was referring to is Matt Dillon of Gunsmoke fame

Last edited:
Jim: Thanks again for the information. It's helpful.

I've also noticed Dillon has lots of good videos on YouTube. They go slow and show setup, changes etc.

By the way Pilgrim the Matt Bob was referring to is Matt Dillon of Gunsmoke fame
Thanks, I was thinking it might be Gunsmoke. It was before my time and I never really watched those shows.

I started reloading with a Lee Loader (where you pounded the case into the resizer with a mallet), then went to a RCBS Junior, then to a big heavy Lyman single stage (still have it for special loading), then when I started shooting PPC needed a progressive so I got the Square Deal B. It did yeomans work for a good number of years. The I started loading more calibers so I went up to a RL550B and added a lot of different things to it (it basically is a RL550C now). It still does what I need it to do so I doubt I'll upgrade any more. I have broken things in the past - my fault - and Dillon has always replaced the parts free, no questions asked (other than how did I do it) - and they said they gather that info to see if they can make their products even more fool proof. I have 10 different ammo set ups now for my Dillon. Get one, you'll never regret it.

contender

Ruger Guru
Jim answered your question Kevin.

However,, if you are lazy & don't want to adjust the dies to go back & forth between 38's & 357's,, you can just add a complete caliber conversion. Now,, for the truly lazy,, you add a powder measure as well, so you don't have to adjust those either.

And I'd not own a 650 or a 750 without the case feed assy. That accessory is the cats meow!

If your primary caliber is 38 or 357, then get the press set up for one of those. It'll come with the priming system for small primers,, then if you wish to switch to .9mm it'll be very easy. A conversion set, tool head, and a set of dies & have at it.

I have several caliber conversions,,, and I have tool head holders & even a special wall mounted rack that holds 7 conversions. (That rack was a B-Day present from Miss Penny!) Make sure you get a tool head holder when you get a conversion set.

watashie00

Bearcat
Just a simple question for the 750. I believe it's the same answer as the 650 too.

So if you buy the press, then you also have to buy a caliber conversion kit before you can use the press. Is that correct?

And then of course a different caliber conversion kit for each new caliber you want to reload. That I understand.

And then as far as dies are concerned, you don't have to use Dillon brand dies do you? I have a set of 9mm dies, and they are the same size of course, but different otherwise. Shorter.

Are the Dillon dies any better?
I have a dillon 550,,, I use redding dies, even some LEE (which I think are some really good dies),,, RCBS for some of my rifles,, and some Hornadys for pistols,,, anything I want to load A LOT of I spend the money on Carbide Dies,, ie 9mm, 45, AR, and 7.62 x 39. I also bought out several estates who had reloading gear,, so I have a box of Rock Crushers,,, now what they are really good for is LEE Case Dies,,, the case dies, take crappy range brass, that I actually use 30 SAE motor oil on, and run them through to "re-size" and bulges in the case.... then the oil is tumbled off in a special "dirty" bucket of walnut shell media for just that purpose,, (removing oil),,, Next on to the case prep portion, where the cases are all measured, for width length, shoulder and base inspections any needed trimming and or swaging and finally tumbled again,, towel-ed off,,, and then lubed and loading begins,,, Dillon dies are expensive im not sure they are better than others,, but what I do notice is they tend to "break" at the same frequency as others,,, the decapping pins on lees are pretty good, and rcbs allow you to have a lot of them around... Its come a long long way,, from when I had my hand Lee Loader,,,, and loaded a "dipper" of powder into each 9mm bullet,,, then tapped them with hammers and all those old hand held tools,,, all to load them in a modified Ingram M-10 and burn through a weeks worth of loading in 2 magazines and about 14 seconds of firing....