Barrels on sbhh

Help Support Ruger Forum:

silly goose

Bearcat
Would someone be kind enough to show the difference between the barrels on the two latest versions of sbhh's. I believe currently they have a bull type barrel, and the version prior had a tapered barrel. Sorry if I'm off base here, just looking for clarification. Thanks guys.

flatgate

Hawkeye
sbhh? Super Blackhawk Hunter? I thought ALL HUNTER models came with a ribbed barrel with "built in" scope ring mounts.

268537865.jpg

The only "evolution" of the Model has been with the barrel's threads. Of course, there also exists a Bisley version of this revolver.

flatgate

silly goose

Bearcat
I believe your correct about the ribbed barrel and scope mounts. I have read that there were three variants of this model and the ones produced around 2001-2002 had a tapered barrel. There are one of these models in the classifieds now with no pics and just wanted to see what the tapered barrel looked like. I haven't had any luck searching on the net. Sorry for any confusion, I'm not an authority by any means. Maybe they are referencing the barrel threads that you spoke of.

chet15

Hawkeye
Well I'll be darned!!!!
Never would have guessed the barrel diameters changed. Thanks for posting the pics!! Makes the change in barrel threading very evident as well!! Looks like went from a course thread to a fine thread.
Now I wonder if the Hunter model went to the bull barrel at exactly the same time the barrel thread issue was changed?
Chet15

silly goose

Bearcat
Thanks for the pics and the explanation. The taper is fairly subtle and hard to detect, but now for another question. Was there a problem with the coarser thread, or was it changed for other reasons? I think I would like to have one of these hunter model's in the near future and just wanted to make sure there were no issues I should be aware of. Thanks for the response.

Latest posts