barrel thread question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

xtratoy

Buckeye
Would a 45 Vaquero barrel be swappable into a NM Blackhawk frame? Do they use the same size threads? I was looking at a 45 barrel and cylinder for sale and thought it would make for handy way to convert my NM 357 Blackhawk.

contender

Ruger Guru
I do believe the NM Blackhawk & the original Vaquero use the same bbl threads. I do NOT know about the threads on the New Vaquero.

xtratoy

Buckeye
Thanks, Was thinking about a barrel and cylinder swap into my NM 357. But if the barrel didn't clock up close on the right side, Having the barrel reshouldered to rotate another turn would probably move the ejector rod housing screw hole in to far to remount EHR unless I would be able to shorten the ERH to line up with the screw hole. Must think and resist the urge to dive in before I have more info. Any thoughts on that?

flatgate

Hawkeye
xtratoy":11wac9r5 said:
Thanks, Was thinking about a barrel and cylinder swap into my NM 357. But if the barrel didn't clock up close on the right side, Having the barrel reshouldered to rotate another turn would probably move the ejector rod housing screw hole in to far to remount EHR unless I would be able to shorten the ERH to line up with the screw hole. Must think and resist the urge to dive in before I have more info. Any thoughts on that?

Yes, you are thinking correctly. A very standard procedure for the well equipped Gunsmith.

And one must consider the barrel to cylinder gap.

flatgate