Barrel lenth and accuracy, 4"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

densecity

Bearcat
hello,
I am in the market for a 22/25 MkIII

I really like the 4" model. but my instinct is telling me that I need to go at least 5. I would not go longer then 5.

Can someone comment on the accuracy of the 4" model out to 15-25 yards as compared to the 5"?

I would like the gun to be semi-compact
Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

edlmann

Blackhawk
densecity":318zkihy said:
hello,
I am in the market for a 22/25 MkIII
I really like the 4" model. but my instinct is telling me that I need to go at least 5. I would not go longer then 5.
Can someone comment on the accuracy of the 4" model out to 15-25 yards as compared to the 5"?
I would like the gun to be semi-compact
Any help is much appreciated.

All other things being equal, most people won't notice a difference in accuracy that the 1" longer sight radius gives you. Will be a bit louder, but that may not be enough to notice.

Snake45

Hawkeye
You'd need a benchrest or machine rest to tell the difference between any two such guns, and even then, it would be an even-money bet that the 4" barrel would actually shoot tighter groups than the 5"!

If you want the 4", get the 4" and don't think twice about it. :wink:

flatgate

Hawkeye
Accuracy is not really related to barrel length. Velocity is, though.

Ability to hold a gun on target is certainly related to barrel length.

JMHO,

flatgate

Wobble

Bearcat
I doubt it will make enough difference, if any at all, to notice. I suggest you choose based on which barrel length "looks" best to you. I prefer the 5.5" barrel on the Mark III Target, although the 4" on the 22/45 is attractive.

Make sure you handle the 22/45 before you buy. The grip is very thin and some people (like me) don't like it. The grip on other Mark IIIs are thicker and feel more substantial (in my opinion).

Plinker MKII

Bearcat
I have the 4 inch 22/45 in the MKII and like it very much. 25 yards is asking a bit too much. I find it perfect at "practical" distances. :wink: Then again, I love my MKII with the 6 7/8 barrel too.

Oh gee, I forgot about the KMK-10 I sold years ago. What a mistake :oops:

bigbobg

Bearcat
Most guns are more accurate than their owners are capable of shooting.
You are the one paying for it and you will be the person shooting it. If you like the four inch model, that's what you should get.

Snake45

Hawkeye
bigbobg":17mfe3j2 said:
Most guns are more accurate than their owners are capable of shooting.
You are the one paying for it and you will be the person shooting it. If you like the four inch model, that's what you should get.
Quoted for truth.

Not one shooter in a hundred could tell the difference in accuracy from a two-handed standing shooting position, and not one in a thousand could tell the difference one-handed. Even the pro gun writers and testers have to use a benchrest or machine rest to give "accuracy" reports.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Barrel length alone has no bearing on raw accuracy potential and virtually nobody would be able to realize the difference an inch of sight radius makes at 15-25yds. Buy whichever you like best.

mattsbox99

Hunter
I had the 22/45 in a 4" target model and I really liked the balance of the gun as compared to my 5 1/2" and 6 7/8" barreled versions.

I sold the upper so I could complete my Tactical Solutions Pac Lite project and never shot the 4" barrel but I did like it a lot.

GhosT

Blackhawk
FLATEGATE said it best.

"Accuracy is not really related to barrel length. Velocity is, though.

Ability to hold a gun on target is certainly related to barrel length."

My MARK 2 22/45 ...
The gun outshoots my skills.

Tried is scoped and not....... so accurrate, will never sell it!

Blackmore

Blackhawk
You can also just split the difference and get one of these with a 4.5" barrel: KP45HMKIII

327L.jpg

densecity

Bearcat
thanks for all of the great replies, it seems i was misinformed.
definatly getting the 4"

sha-bam!

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
I opted for the 5.5" Hunter blued/Davidson's exclusive. I didn't see any other 5.5" hunters in the 22/45 or the std MKIII, and all the available bbl lengths were all considerably more money as they were all in stainless. I wanted the lower $$ and I like the blue. I'm waiting for it to come in...... Ruger said they would ship more of these models to Davidson's this month. I've seen some on the auction sites for around $350, but I wanted to buy from my local dealer.

389L.jpg