Barrel Channnel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Big Bubba

Single-Sixer
My son has a stainless 10/22 that has been shooting poorly. It is the model without the barrel band. Does the 10/22 shoot better with fore end pressure on the barrel or would it do better with a free floating barrel?

Before he goes out and buys another scope, I would like to know if floating the barrel would help. It is not a bull barrel, just a regular sporting weight barrel.

I could try the iron sights, but they shoot way high with the rear sight bottomed out. The rifle needs a taller front sight.

Entire groups shift point of impact, so I am thinking it is the scope, a cheapo BSA. Burris and Leupold have never failed me on my rifles.

jpickar

Blackhawk
I'd get a good scope first and then see what is up.

The 10/22 is one of the most reliable semi-autos out there.

But they do have some problems. I have owned several and have worked on them all and sold them all as they just aren't up to par with my other 22's.

John

contender

Ruger Guru
Why not take the barrel band off, & try it out. If it appears to help, then look at a full free floating job. Also, since it's fairly easy & inexpensive to find a factory Birch stock, free floating one and having it not work is an easy option. If you have an extra scope you can try out, w/o buying one, I'd try that too.

Redstick

Single-Sixer
contender":11ikba2p said:
Why not take the barrel band off, & try it out. If it appears to help, then look at a full free floating job. Also, since it's fairly easy & inexpensive to find a factory Birch stock, free floating one and having it not work is an easy option. If you have an extra scope you can try out, w/o buying one, I'd try that too.

Big Bubba":11ikba2p said:
It is the model without the barrel band.

I just picked up a model 10/22 DSP without the barrel band and am really looking forward to shooting it. My others, all with the barrel band have been great shooters so I can't be much help, but meb'be you could try a scope off another rifle to see if it did the same, like contender mentioned. Also, take the barreled action out of the stock and see if it looks to be more worn-in anywhere in the barrel channel of the stock and need sanded a little... Next would be to free-float it.

Bigfoot62

Bearcat
Big Bubba":23upmjlq said:
My son has a stainless 10/22 that has been shooting poorly. It is the model without the barrel band. Does the 10/22 shoot better with fore end pressure on the barrel or would it do better with a free floating barrel?

Before he goes out and buys another scope, I would like to know if floating the barrel would help. It is not a bull barrel, just a regular sporting weight barrel.

I could try the iron sights, but they shoot way high with the rear sight bottomed out. The rifle needs a taller front sight.

Entire groups shift point of impact, so I am thinking it is the scope, a cheapo BSA. Burris and Leupold have never failed me on my rifles.
First of all, how "badly" is the rifle shooting? A sporter barrelled 10/22 should do about 1" or less at 25 yards with ammo it likes and a good rest. (try some CCI MiniMags)
Before you go carving up the stock, you need to check the takedown screw. If it is loose, the rifle will shoot all over the place. Also, the scope mounts need to be tight. BTW, most sporter weight barrels need to be supported by the stock. I've tried free-floating a couple and ended up putting a pressure pad back in the barrel channel.
The scope could be the problem. I would definitely recommend better glass. I've had really good luck with the Mueller APV.
Hope that helps, and let us know how it works out.

Big Bubba

Single-Sixer
I am thinking the scope is junk. The rifle groups 3 shots in one place and then shifts the group off in another direction, and then it may shift back to the original point of aim. All the screws on the base and mounts are tight, as well as the stock screw. I need to get a good Burris or Leupold rimfire scope and give it a try.

I have an old Remington 541 S that groups five shots into 5/8th of an inch @ 50 yards continually. (I have seen some of these 541's listed used for $900!) :shock:

Bigfoot62

Bearcat
At best, my factory sporter barreled 10/22's will do 1" @ 50 yds for a 10-shot group. I haven't seen one yet that will match what you're getting from the Remmy.

I would agree that you need to try another scope. But you don't have to spend $300-400 to get one that will hold zero. As I mentioned earlier, the Mueller APV is a good one. Also any of the better Simmons scopes with an adjustable objective is fine. (like the ProHunter, Outfitter, PrarieMaster, etc)

You still haven't told us what kind of ammo that you've tried. These factory sporter barrels tend to like the high velocity stuff best. That's why I suggested MiniMags. They are very consistent. Most of the 'bulk box' stuff is junk.

Big Bubba

Single-Sixer
Bigfoot, I totally agree with you on the bulk .22 ammo, as it is good for plinking. I too use CCI mini-mag, and have used it for years.

My Remington 541 is pretty much like a scaled down Model 700. It is made as a man's .22 rifle, not a kid's gun. It has a beautiful stock, and an adjustable trigger like on the Model 700. It is made with a .22 match chamber, as it engraves the bullet with rifling when the round is chambered. It is a shame Remington quit making them years ago. Mine will out shoot an Anshutz that a friend owns. He said "No way." But after shooting five groups of five shots for a total of 25 rounds, the Remngton beat his rifle. I don't know if all the 541's shoot this well, but I will never sell mine.