Barnes Bullet

Help Support Ruger Forum:

"fk"

Bearcat
Barnes has a 400gr Original SP that they rate for anything from deer to cape buffalo in the Ruger No.1 in 45-70. Has anyone here ever used this bullet its a little expensive but if it is rated for cape buffalo then it must be something else.

"fk"

Ruber

Single-Sixer
A great bullet, but it heats up the barrel! Sighting in can be an all day excursion to the range, 2 shots then let it sit....

How much are you really shooting through the No. 1 anyway?

Got it for pigs and use medium loads from Barnes data, good luck finding the bullet!!

"fk"

Bearcat
I'll never shoot it unless I got to go to Africe. I now hafta shoot low to medium rounds and the kick would be detrimental to my back.

I was just curious about the round as I had never heard of anyone ever shooting it. I might try the 300gr for deer or hog hunting but nothing bigger.

"fk"

Ruber

Single-Sixer
I've loaded up some of their 300gr TSX FB with a middle of the road RL7 charge that has given some really impressive results so far at the range, but haven't had a chance to try them in the field yet.

Good luck!

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
depending on how old they are, there were 2 jacket thicknesses. The current ones are the thinner jackets which offer great expansion and work well up to about 2100fps. The thicker jacketed versions held together better at higher velocity. They quit making the thick version in the mid 80's. FYI