Badger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

The first badger I can remember seeing was when I was about 10 years old. Dad had cornered it against a hog wire fence and clubbed it with a jack handle. Car jack handle is maybe 15-18" long which is considerably closer than was prudent. Dad was pretty "feisty" back then and it worked at least once.
A decade later, my soon to be Father in law commented that he had a groundhog digging in an old pit silo behind his barn. I made a somewhat clumsy leghold trap set in front of the excavation one morning and when I checked in the evening the trap had disappeared into a large crater but the chain was still visibly attached to the 3/8" rebar stake. I wasn't all that concerned about a FTF with a groundhog so I just hooked the trap chain with the 3/8" rebar trap hook I carried to retrieve water sets. One good tug and I was confronted by a VERY irate badger. It hit the end of the trap chain about 3" from my boot toes. Like the young buck in the video, I had an image to uphold so only took one step back and crowned the badger with the trap hook. End of story, time for lemonade.

"Badgers have to live too, so, let the critter be!"
Sorry, but NOT in the middle of a farm field. Cows and horses walking around in the dark or after a snowfall can easily step in the holes. Ain't no badger worth the price of a cow and a dozen wouldn't cover the loss of good horse.

Snake Pleskin

Banned
"Badgers have to live too, so, let the critter be!"
Sorry, but NOT in the middle of a farm field. Cows and horses walking around in the dark or after a snowfall can easily step in the holes. Ain't no badger worth the price of a cow and a dozen wouldn't cover the loss of good horse.
Ok, so maybe its better to just try and move it somewhere else?

contender

Ruger Guru
In a perfect world,, we could relocate animals to a place where they didn't interfere with humans,, or cause problems.
But,, due to diseases,, many states do not allow the relocation of animals w/o a special permit.
Then,, we humans have encroached upon the animals territory to where they have learned to exist in & around us.

I have a job,, due to the fact that there is a lot of negative interaction between animals & humans.
Just today;
(2) bats inside the bedroom of one home. Homeowner awoke to find this out. Bats sent for rabies testing.
Later, another home, where a bat had entered, been wrongly captured & put outside. People may be looking at post exposure treatment for rabies.
And, a beaver has built a dam, flooding a couple's lawn & garden. Beavers can not be relocated,, so they will be dispatched.

Badgers,, due to the way they feed, digging up various rodents, creating a lot of land damage that can damage equipment,, or cause expensive farm animals to be injured or killed,, are considered a problem.
Relocation is often not an option.

Snake Pleskin

Banned
In a perfect world,, we could relocate animals to a place where they didn't interfere with humans,, or cause problems.
But,, due to diseases,, many states do not allow the relocation of animals w/o a special permit.
Then,, we humans have encroached upon the animals territory to where they have learned to exist in & around us.

I have a job,, due to the fact that there is a lot of negative interaction between animals & humans.
Just today;
(2) bats inside the bedroom of one home. Homeowner awoke to find this out. Bats sent for rabies testing.
Later, another home, where a bat had entered, been wrongly captured & put outside. People may be looking at post exposure treatment for rabies.
And, a beaver has built a dam, flooding a couple's lawn & garden. Beavers can not be relocated,, so they will be dispatched.

Badgers,, due to the way they feed, digging up various rodents, creating a lot of land damage that can damage equipment,, or cause expensive farm animals to be injured or killed,, are considered a problem.
Yes, sometimes it just is what it is ,unfortunately.

Ahhhhhhh If he was a real man he would grab one of these for a Frisbee.:)

The skin is also tough enough to resist several machete blows. The only sure way of killing them quickly is through a blow to the skull with a club or a shot to the head with a gun, as their skin is almost impervious to arrows and spears.

1660347062107.png

TREE 'EM

Bearcat

Just today;

Nice to see another ADC guy on here.
I started Wildlife Control Solutions Inc in 1985
What company do you work for or are you a Owner/Operator?

contender

Ruger Guru
Howdy Tree 'em! I'm an owner/operator. I got certified not long after NC started the program. I'd been helping the local LEO's & others long before that, and a game warden cornered me one day to say they had a new program & I needed to get certified. As he put it; "MY job is to enforce the laws,, NOT get snakes & skunks out of houses! You'd be perfect for this!"
I didn't know what I was getting into back then!
He's now long retired,, and when I see him,, he asks; "You still doing critters?" To which I reply; "You still ready to go behind the barn for your butt whipping? "
It's our running joke!

Sapo

Single-Sixer
I've got one on game camera this year. The first Ive ever seen in Texas Hill Country. I've seen several dens dug up in the pasture, always thinking fox or armadillo.

Latest posts