Badger Ridge Mods to My Ruger 77 50

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
I want to provide an update on the Badger Ridge modification of my Ruger 77 50. I sent the bolt for modification after a couple emails and phone calls. Tom let me know when it arrived. Double checked on what I wanted, then did the work. I had the bolt and breech block and ventliners back in less than two weeks, followed by a couple of very cordial phone calls with Tom.
Installation was simple. It involved removing the old plug, cleaning everything, a wrap Teflon tape, tightening it, replacing the bolt and replacing one screw. Done.
I went to the range with a can of Blackhorn 209 and CCI 209 primers. Following 209's recommendations, I started low and worked up to where bullets were striking at the same sight setting I used for 110 grains of 2X. 85 grains of Blackhorn was the load I ended with. Accuracy is similar to 2X, with bullets touching or almost touching at fifty yards. I had 100% ignition with the new system. With the number of shots I fired, I would have expected at least one or two misfired with musket caps. I did not need to run a brush or patch between any of the shots. And most of all, cleanup was a breeze.
I'm very happy with the results.
Bfly