Bad COL Need Advice

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Vecco

Single-Sixer
I had a problem and now need some advice. I was loading 115gr FP 9mm with 5.2 gm of Longshot and COL 1.064. All was working well for 500+ rounds. Somehow something on my Dillon 650 changed and the last 200 came out at a COL 0.98. I have very little crimp and wanted to know if these would be safe to shoot (assuming they cycle ok). I am just concerned about too much pressure. I would shoot them with a P-85 as opposed to the SR-9. Are these ok to try a shoot or just pull/dump them?

contender

Ruger Guru
I'd pull them,,, or at least get the bullets pulled far enough out to re=seat & crimp them. You didn't mention if your crimp was a roll or taper type. Roll crimps usually add more pressure. Plus,,, taper crimps are better for 9mm as they headspace on the case mouth.
I have had an occasional deep seated bunch of rounds,,, and it was because of lube buildup in the die while loading cast bullets. I used an inertia puller to pull the bullets part of the way out,,, and then reseated them,,, and taper crimped them. No problems that way.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Vecco":2t5kyvzo said:
I am just concerned about too much pressure. I would shoot them with a P-85 as opposed to the SR-9. Are these ok to try a shoot or just pull/dump them?

Hi,

In some cartridges, I MIGHT be more "tolerant" of some difference in COL, but the nine's one where pressures already start fairly high, and can jump extremely high pretty quickly under some circumstances, so if these were my loads, I'd pull 'em (part way w/ one of the hammer tools isn't hard to do) and reset 'em to the proper COL.

Then figure why the Dillon adjustment changed: something gooey as Contender suggested, something loose, who knows, but you should be able to figure it out w/o too much trouble.

Good luck!

Rick C

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
I would do as Contender reco'd and just pull them enough in inertia puller to get them to correct length and then recrimp.
Sonnytoo