Backyard Lube Test

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wixedmords

Blackhawk
Great stuff Gatorhugger. ;)

A bit of a different tilt than other tests I have seen.

I will take what you have found under advisement.

I wonder how Mobil One would hold up in a gun rug. If it would stay too liquid for too long for a gun rug. I'll give it a try.

Thanks

P94/GP100

Single-Sixer
Gatorhugger, many thanks for your well thought out test and write-up. I concur with your conclusions and thoughts about the MobileOne synthetic oil, but I've been a happy user of Weapons Shield for several years.

One of the reasons that I've preferred Weapons Shield is for its anti-corrosive properties as well as its lubricative ones.

A factor with Break-Free is that it needs to be thoroughly shaken immediately prior to use to properly distribute its ingredients; I'm not sure if they separate after application.

Again, many thanks.

Best, Jon

jhearne

Buckeye
Nice writeup GH, sometimes it's hard to beat the tried and true 3 in 1. Will try and remember to pick up some Mobile 1 Syn....used to have a case or two lying around when I had my old car.

Josh

Turbobuddha

Single-Sixer
I use CLP for all my needs (semi pistols and AR's) and either a grease or CLP for various parts of various revolvers.

I have used the Mobil 1 on one of my SR-9's and an AR once. Some amazing stuff. I used it for a while on my SR-9 training gun (not the carry gun that gets CLP) and after setting in the safe for awhile, you could pull it and go to the range with no worries. That stuff works great.

Mobil 1 in the AR? Not so much. I find I like the CLP much better for that application. Not that is didn't lube well, it work great for that. Just didn't seem to mix well with the gas impengment system. Made one huge mess. But, I like to never got all that motor oil cleaned off so in a SHTF Zombie appocolypse, feel free to use motor oil from burnt out cars. It's good stuff.

Nice review/test. Very thourough. Now, someone get this guy some measuring equipment. I know, apply for a Gov grant and get some of our stimulus money back.

2fast4u

Single-Sixer
with the Mobil 1 engine oil wouldn't you just want to use the best synthetic oil available? such at the new Valvoline syn-tech or royal purple? they both have better wear rating. and should last just as long being full synthetic. and since they are all synthetics they are going to scavenge heat and head towards the part that gets the hottest ( friction = heat)

or am i missing something about Mobil 1 that makes it special?

graygun

Hunter
Interesting w/u. I have M1 5/30 and 0/30 as well as 3-in-1 and others on hand. Is 3/1 a 5w oil? Is a 30w not going to offer a higher-then-needed resistance? I haen't used grease on my SR9, only Hoppes oil so far. I'm still pretty much a gun noob.

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
2fast4u":tqax3tyn said:
with the Mobil 1 engine oil wouldn't you just want to use the best synthetic oil available? such at the new Valvoline syn-tech or royal purple? they both have better wear rating. and should last just as long being full synthetic. and since they are all synthetics they are going to scavenge heat and head towards the part that gets the hottest ( friction = heat)

or am i missing something about Mobil 1 that makes it special?

delete

22/45 Fan

Hunter
I do wonder about the "drying" of some of these oils. Mobile 1 lasts for months and thousands of miles in engine use where it runs at 250°F or thereabout so I'm not sure it will ever evaporate at room temperature. Most of the other oild are very high boiling too so maybe what you saw wat that they run off the surface rather than actual evaporation.

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
22/45 Fan":1hj77d3c said:
I do wonder about the "drying" of some of these oils. Mobile 1 lasts for months and thousands of miles in engine use where it runs at 250°F or thereabout so I'm not sure it will ever evaporate at room temperature. Most of the other oild are very high boiling too so maybe what you saw wat that they run off the surface rather than actual evaporation.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Great review Gator !!! Been using 5w30 M1 for years on my guns ... it's been in all of my oil cans since it was introduced. It's really good stuff. I use it in my cars as well, I let it go 7500 miles between oil changes, as compared to 3000 with dino oil. Although I really think most dino's can easily go 7500 miles these days in a car, The M1 isn't that much more expensive at $21/5 quarts at Walmart. What's that ... like $4.20/qt vs about $3 per quart these days for dino ?

REV

ZiggyK

Bearcat
I've been using SuperTech Multi-duty Complex Hi-Temp grease that I got from Walmart for about 4$ for 16oz. My gunsmith who has 30 years experience told me that you can use pretty much any type of grease as long as it is hi temperature grease which like the Mobil oil will withstand the high temperatures that shooting guns put out on the rails. I also use Gunslick oil on parts of the gun too which I've found to be a decent oil. I'll have to give the mobil or 3 in 1 oils a try too but I find grease to stay put better than oils which means no run off and they are less likely to evaporate as quick as oil.

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
ZiggyK":3hcptyqc said:
I've been using SuperTech Multi-duty Complex Hi-Temp grease that I got from Walmart for about 4$ for 16oz. My gunsmith who has 30 years experience told me that you can use pretty much any type of grease as long as it is hi temperature grease which like the Mobil oil will withstand the high temperatures that shooting guns put out on the rails. I also use Gunslick oil on parts of the gun too which I've found to be a decent oil. I'll have to give the mobil or 3 in 1 oils a try too but I find grease to stay put better than oils which means no run off and they are less likely to evaporate as quick as oil.

delete

ZiggyK

Bearcat
Ya I guess. But considering I go to the range at least every two weeks, I'm cleaning my gun and relubing it anyway. I'm gonna try the Mobil one oil to see how well it works. I'm up for anything that works good and is cheap. I'm not about to pay $10-15 for 2oz of lube. :?

JeepVideo

Bearcat
Gatorhugger this is fantastic. I was wondering over the summer if a good synthetic motor oil (Mobil One) would work well in my SR9. When the family had a get together I asked a few of the vets and fellow gun enthusiasts their thoughts and they pretty much didn't know and suggested "being safe" and using the traditional products. Their thoughts were that non-gun lubes might react violently to the heat and pressures of a round going off nearby.

When I run out of the expensive dry lube I have I'll give Mobil One a shot. If I don't like it I'll just pour the remainder in my Jeep's engine!

Can't lose with that plan!