Backup iron sights on PC Carbine 9mm

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tom K

Bearcat
Like some other folks, I would like an option to put a peep on the receiver of the PC Carbine rather than using the factory peep mounted on the barrel. This would nearly double the sight radius between front and rear sight. Unfortunately as far as I can tell, with the factory front sight height a receiver mounted peep would need to be only about 1/4" above the surface of the rail. I know of only one peep sight that mounts that low, made by New England Custom Guns.
1659281898576.png

Besides being a little expensive ($99), the body looks like it would block the shooter's view around the peep and so not have the quick acquisition feature of a regular peep. Any alternatives that I've seen would require a taller front sight, and I have not been able to find anybody that makes one.

I did find a company that makes a short rail that replaces the front sight and has its upper plane on the same level as the receiver rail, made by TACCOM, only $20. https://taccom3g.com/product/front-sight-rail-for-ruger-pc-carbine/ That plus an ordinary set of Back Up Iron Sights (BUIS) and I have this:

20220729_080643.jpg

20220729_080715.jpg

The front sight winds up being a bit chunky but it's okay. I personally like the higher placement, I don't have to scrunch my fat face down against the stock so hard as I do with the factory sights. Removing and replacing the barrel doesn't seem to significantly effect the point of impact. All targets shown have a 1" grid, regardless of the size of the aiming diamond.

20220731_095335.jpg

20220731_095348.jpg

I was going to remove the BUIS and front rail and reinstall the factory front sight and compare groupings, but I didn't have the right size driver bit with me for the mounting screws. Maybe next time. I did put a target out at 60 yards and shot groups with a scope (mounted on QD risers) and the BUIS. Pretty comparable.

20220729_094921.jpg

20220731_095438.jpg

20220731_095428.jpg

Last edited:
Like some other folks, I would like an option to put a peep on the receiver of the PC Carbine rather than using the factory peep mounted on the barrel. This would nearly double the sight radius between front and rear sight. Unfortunately as far as I can tell, with the factory front sight height a receiver mounted peep would need to be only about 1/4" above the surface of the rail. I know of only one peep sight that mounts that low, made by New England Custom Guns...

Do you know if anyone has tried a rear sight from a Kel-Tec SU-16 or PLR-16? It's a low, rail-mounted rear sight, and I think there are open or aperture (peep) versions available. The KT part number for the peep sight is SU/PLR-365, priced at $27 plus shipping, etc. Looks like the web site is currently showing both versions as "Out if stock":

SU/PLR-365 Rear Peep Sight

SU/PLR-366 Rear Open Sight Buckhorn Sight

Maybe someone who owns one of the Kel-Tecs can measure the distance from the top of the rail to the sight aperture or notch for you. Also, being as they're Kel-Tec parts, I would assume they are made (all or in part) of polymer.

Last edited:

Tom K

Bearcat
Unfortunately, that doesn't say much for your scope.
Not necessarily. It could just be my crappy shooting. Or it may be that this is the best this gun can do with this ammo at this distance.

Not quite apples and apples, here is a typical 20-yard group I shot while getting sights adjusted on my newly acquired Rossi lever action. Compare with the PC Carbine's 20 yard groups. (I did not have the opportunity to shoot the Rossi at 60 yards.)

20220731_095531.jpg

20220729_100102.jpg

20220729_100116.jpg

Last edited:

Tom K

Bearcat
Last week I tried a few different types of ammo through the PC Carbine. Best results were with some Speer Lawman 115 gr JHP that I've had for years. I shot it at 60 yards again off a bench rest with scope, and the backup iron sights that I put on it. Again I was going to try the gun with the factory sights, but this time I forgot to bring the front sight! I expect to go out again later this week, maybe I can get it done this time.

20220815_110835.jpg

20220815_110858.jpg

I also brought the Rossi R92 .357 again, and here are the results at 60 yards for comparison.

20220815_111016.jpg

Tom K

Bearcat
So I did finally get out to the range with all of the appropriate tools and parts and ammo, and shot comparison targets at 60 yards with both the stock iron sights, and the BUIS that I had been using. Looks like the increased sight radius of the BUIS does make a difference. I'd say they reduce group size by 25% or so.
20220823_211547.jpg
20220823_211511.jpg

I also tried one more type of ammo which did even better than the Lawman 115 JHP. It's some Hirtenberger Law Enforcement grade with a 100 grain JSP truncated cone bullet that I picked up cheap who knows how long ago - decades for sure. Unfortunately I have only one box left and it doesn't seem to be available anywhere that I can find.
*edit* the label on the picture should say 100 JSP
20220823_212048.jpg

Last edited:
Most everyone will shoot better with a longer vs shorter sight radius on just about any firearm. That does not mean the firearm is more accurate. It means it's easier to be more accurate. The closer you can get the rear sight to your eye vs further also helps people shoot better.

instructor

Single-Sixer
Having shot receiver sights for match shooting quite a few years find the issue ghost ring "peep" sight from the factory very satisfactory. Reason for purchasing the Ruger PC9 was the ability to use Glock magazines and find the carbine to be very accurate regardless of choice of ammunition out to 50-60 yards. Converting the carbine to appear as a military firearm with different handguards, vertical pistol grip, etc., etc. is not a choice I would make, but Ruger recognizing a marketplace for such items do offer such carbines to the public. The less attention I can bring to my firearm the better in my opinion.