Backroads Bike Trip To Florida Thru Rural Alabama and Georgia

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cholo

Staff member
This isn't going to become a what I did this weekend trend, or pics of my half eaten breakfast LOL If I think it might be of interest I'll give it a shot.

This weekend was to have incredibly good riding weather, but I couldn't decide where to go for 3 days. Wed. night it occurred to me: Why not take country roads down eastern AL, then across the northern FL panhandle and up western GA until I got home? These are all rural 2 lane highways.

The sky stayed like this for all three days, not a cloud. The roads I took are all secondary highways, some even thirdary LOL I hit zero traffic the entire trip.

I got on beautiful Hwy 49 south in Lineville, AL. This rode just goes up and down with long sweeping curves its entire length, at least to Tuskegee where I picked up Hwy 29. The towns are tiny and might have a stop sign, what I call one horse towns.

This is about 15 miles NNW of Tuskegee. It just opened up out of the blue! I think it was the only time outside of a town where the road actually had a paved shoulder. If I had to make a pit stop I just parked the bike on the edge of the blacktop and found a tree. It wasn't like there was any traffic around.

29 goes south and then SW until I stopped in Andalusia for the night. The Murphy gas station at Walmart even had the non ethanol 93 octane I like, though I wouldn't find it again along my route until I got back home. Some think Murphy gas is Walmart gas; it isn't. Murphy tends to set up at Walmart locations, though they're also solo in places.

Cotton is picked 2x in the south, around Oct. being the last. It's the second most profitable crop in AL ranking only behind corn. Pics taken south of Andalusia.

Cotton as far as your eye can see.

The pedals that open to expose the cotton are nasty little buggers! I simply can't imagine what it was like to pick it by hand.

I crossed into FL at Flomaton, AL. for the ride east along the northern edge of the panhandle.

My goal was to take Hwy 4 and pick up state road 2 until until it turns into Hwy 2. I'd then take that into SW GA. Google Maps on my phone is good, but I sure wish I'd have brought a paper map for this leg of the trip. Several times Google Maps had state road 2 mis-marked and I found myself having to turn around and look again. Nope. I lost a lot of time backtracking, but I really wanted to ride these tiny state roads. I had to be careful or I'd have wound up on dirt roads, really! LOL

The ride up west GA was uneventful. 3 state hwys take you from south to north with a few miles of exception; 39, 219 and 100.

The mornings were cool in the 40's, but it warmed up quickly to between 63*-83* with really low humidity for the south. One thing's for sure this time of year on a motorcycle. The temps drop like a rock when the sun no longer hits you around 6PM. Just prepare for it.

This trip was 3 days and 1,004 miles. That's above my normal mileage per day, but the weather and scenery were so nice I didn't want to stop much. I'll be lucky to get 2 days in a row like this in the next few months that don't have the possibility of rain. I just love these little side road trips!

Cholo

Staff member
I just measured the AL state line from where I crossed into FL all the way to the GA line and it was 135 miles. I was south of that and was really zig zagging so I'd guess about 200 miles were in FL.

turd

Buckeye
Again, thanks for the ride along. Great pics, too. Yes, cotton would be a beotch to pick by hand. I used to travel a lot, stopped one time passing a cotton field and picked some for my wife. Ouch!