Back On The Horse!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Eclem

Bearcat
I was raised on a large farm (my Dad worked for the owner). Bought my first gun at 8 years old (68 years ago) at our Western Auto Store in Western PA - a single shot, pull bolt 22lr - $12. We had to shoot woodchucks because their holes could break the legs of our cows and horses. I entered the US Navy in 1964 and received extensive counter insurgency, survival and small arms training for deployment to Vietnam as a Swiftboat sailor. I was pretty good at the range but no hotty. After the war I forgot about guns. But in retirement I've come back and am an avid 22lr paper puncher and ditto with Weihrauch pellet guns. I'm running a CZ 457 Lux 22lr and a Savage Mark II BV 22lr - both topped with Nikon 3-9 x 40's. Both are under an inch at 50 yds with the CZ scoring ragged holes sometimes. I just ordered a Ruger American Standard and am probably going to mount a Hawke Vantage 3 - 9 x40 that I already have. Nice to be back on the horse. Yup. It's a disease! Wish me luck with the RA - will report soon.

Welcome to the forum
C1FACBD7-E9A2-45DB-A95D-B48AE4E7393A.gif

Eclem

Bearcat
Still waiting for the American Rimfire Standard to arrive - been a week - these distributors servicing small gun shops aren't too speedy - I believe that's one reason Buds, GrabAgun, etc do so well. I don't mind paying a little more to support our local guys but a week for a common gun is silly. Anyway, I was concerned about the hard poly butt stock because it is slippery (like my Savage Mark II BV which I must shoot with a rubber Limbsaver). A friend who is a mechanical genius suggested I get a can of Rust-Oleum Rubberized Undercoating - mask off around the area to be sprayed and hit it twice with 1 hour drying between apps. I've done my Mark II - perfect and removing the Limbsaver gives me the right LOP and eye relief. Simple and I would never have thought about it.

Eclem

Bearcat
My AmRim Standard arrived last evening, and my FFL took care of me late. (classy guy, owner of Connecticut Carries in Sterling CT) This morning I started cleaning and scope mounting. I saw that the stock is touching the barrel on left side - a dollar bill will not slide under the barrel - it is not free floated. Got the scope on and did some trigger testing using snaps. The trigger is around 5 lbs. so I went to remove the action to lighten towards 3 lbs. The front action screw was extremely tight but I got it off. The rear screw is immovable, like it was put on with an impact wrench. Huge disappointment and sent a note to Ruger Cust. Svc. for guidance. I hope this is not typical for Ruger products but my only other Ruger gun is an SR22 semi pistol which had to be returned because it exploded leaving brass welded-like to the chamber - twice. (it runs fine now)

Eclem

Bearcat
Ruger Cust Svc. was very cooperative and had UPS pick up the defective new American Rimfire Standard at my house. I did shoot a 5 bull NRA 50 foot target at 50 yards before sending it back and the trigger was easily 7 to 9 lbs. After I got that heavy pull under my belt I was able to shoot sub 1 inch with it. May be an ok gun when returned and trigger adjusted? Hopefully! See Y'all

Eclem

Bearcat
My RAR Standard is back, fixed and saddled up with a Burris Droptine 3-9x40 50 yd fixed parallax on good Sportsmatch rings. I took the advice from others here and removed the trigger return spring. Safety, jolt, slam bolt ... trigger resets perfectly with bolt cycle... all safe. Trigger is about 2lb and really nice with a clean break. I believe I got lucky - this one has become very accurate with standard velocity ammo - CCI SV seems best - sub 1 inch at 50 yards is now predictable. And the groups are tightening up as more rounds are fired. (it turned towards very accurate after 500 shots). The Burris Droptine is compact and light and holds 0 well ... bright & clear. Very good so far. A sweet kit now that Ruger fixed the problems with (not) free float barrel and action screws at what seemed like 5,000-inch pounds. A keeper finally ... I believe.

Eclem

Bearcat
Glad you are headed back to the range. And yes give us a report.
I was told by my local FFL that with new 22lr's under $500 tend to have sub-par barrels. I got lucky. My new RAR standard has a great barrel, and the action is breaking in nicely. Sub 1 inch at 50 yards using a new 9x40 Burris Droptine Rimfire is regular with a hole on hole for 5 rounds occasionally. (CCI SV's) The Droptine is a very bright, clear, light weight scope and provides "just right" eye relief given the RAR's limited (should say fixed) dovetail layout, and it is holding zero after approx. 300 rounds. Fun-Gun-Keeper