Back from the Hospital

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Enigma

Hunter
I went in the morning of the 22d and had total replacement of my right knee; got home yesterday. The staff was having some difficulty keeping my pain under control. otherwise I'd have been home on Friday. I figured I'd rather be miserable in the hospital, as opposed to at home.

The hospital staff was generally great!! There were a couple of marginal performers, a couple of outstanding performers, and then there were the rest. I have no complaints though; generally they went the extra mile to insure my health, safety, and comfort. The hospital gave me an info folder with some 'You're A Star!' cards in it, and I filled those out and gave to the folks that I felt were the most deserving.

Now, I'm learning how to walk, maneuver, etc., on a walker. Using the commode has been slightly challenging, but I think I've got that down. The raised toilet seat that we bought kept popping off my toilet, so I had my son take it off and return it to the store where he bought it.

The shower chair is working out well, and I honestly think that I pretty well have this thing licked!

I'm truly blessed in having my youngest son, Jerry, visiting and helping us out during the initial rehab. He's a rehab doctor, so his presence is a double blessing.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

That's good news!

Now I hope son Dr. Jerry will be really tough on you about doing your PT! Several friends, relatives and clients have had knee replacements. Some have gone great, some not so much. And what did the not so much crowd have in common? They DIDN'T do all their physical therapist told them to do! Yes, it's gonna hurt like he(ck) but you'll be better off at the end. A physical therapist once told me all her patients hated her--until they got better!--and she got more "Thank you!" cards and such than anyone else in her department...

Rick C

Jim Puke

Hunter
Good to hear that you are doing well. Remember, the rehab exercises are for your benefit...DO THEM.

I pray your recovery goes well.

Poco Oso

Buckeye
Rick Courtright said:
Hi,

That's good news!

Now I hope son Dr. Jerry will be really tough on you about doing your PT! Several friends, relatives and clients have had knee replacements. Some have gone great, some not so much. And what did the not so much crowd have in common? They DIDN'T do all their physical therapist told them to do! Yes, it's gonna hurt like he(ck) but you'll be better off at the end. A physical therapist once told me all her patients hated her--until they got better!--and she got more "Thank you!" cards and such than anyone else in her department...

Rick C
Quoted for truth.
I had my left knee replaced in 2013. Do the therapy. All of it. Mine still gets a little stiff, and sometimes the cold bothers it a little but, it sure works better than what I had. :D Hang in there, it get's better.

737tdi

Hunter
You really need to hate your rehab. If you think it is easy then you are losing. It is painful, it is horrible, it is healing and restoring. Rehab is not fun. I wish you the best and hope you recover with full use. If you don't it is probably your fault. Work it. I know this only because I have had to do the same. OOOhhhrahhh.

Karl

Glasstream15

Bearcat
I always called those @#$^%&* in rehab "Physical Terrorists" but they kept me going when I did what I was supposed to. Got another session coming up after "Mid-foot Fusion" surgery and not looking forward to that, but getting rid of constant pain makes some of these things worthwhile.

Just DO WHAT THEY SAY even if it hurts. IT will. But if you don't, it will hurt worse.

powder smoke

Hawkeye
My neighbor had two done one at a time of course. He quit hunting a few years back.
Now he is back in the game hope you have equally good results. ps

turd

Blackhawk
I thought of the physical therapy location that I went to for my shoulder as a medieval torture chamber, and I told the woman that was responsible for me that I thought she was a sorceress, but I thanked them all profusely on my last appointment.

Phoenix too

Blackhawk
Work like hell. Whatever they tell you, do more (but not too much more...). Pain is all in the mind. When I walked into the doc's office sans crutches he said, "How long have you been doing that?" (I don't actually remember, 2-3 days, maybe) so that's what I told him. "In retrospect I guess it's OK." I know a party who got them both done at the same time, about a year ago, probably less. Worked like a dog, but looks good now.

This is no time for sympathy, beer, and TV.

Glasstream15

Bearcat
turd said:
I thought of the physical therapy location that I went to for my shoulder as a medieval torture chamber, and I told the woman that was responsible for me that I thought she was a sorceress, but I thanked them all profusely on my last appointment.

It took her 3 days to notice the "Jan's House of Pain" I put up one time. I paid for that too.

opos

Buckeye
Had a total knee in '06 and it's been the best thing I ever did....don't much ever think about it any more...the P/T is really important and besides doing what they say...I was cautioned to not overdo...many folks get to feeling a bit better and think they can rush the recovery by over exercising..not a good thing...The doc said they have as many "failures" by folks over doing p/t as those that shirk on the p/t...he said if I did as told...exactly as told....I'd have a good result...I did and I've had a great result.

Happy sweating and swearing!!

Latest posts