Baby Vaquero Price check

Help Support Ruger Forum:

INDY45

Single-Sixer
Local gun store has on consignment, A Baby Vaquero in 32 H&R magnum for $550.00.Has everything that came from factory and is stainless with a 6 &1/2" barrel I think and paper work marked 2001. Great shape and has been shot very little, Also has white factory grips, Just wondering if I should pick it up or pass? Don't see many in this caliber or the ammo for it often, And not sure if I want to add another caliber to the family.

Thanks,Indy

contender

Ruger Guru
I own several of the 32 cal guns. I don't currently have one of the baby Vaqueros. I'd love to add one. But I think $550 is a bit steep.

gak

Buckeye
If it's a baby Vaquero in .32 with 6.5" barrel, the barrel isn't original and has been added. The fixed sight .32 Vaqueritos only came in 4-5/8" ('til the distributor special birdshead John Wayne 3-3/4" or some such). Interesting - not sure what the donor barrel would hve been except custom. Not sure I recall a 6.5" of the earlier adjustable sight .32s in stainless?. Even so, the barrel would have had to be highly polished to match the baby Vaquero frame's finish. More details? Sure would like to see a pic of this.

The .32 Single Sixes are great guns in all the configurations they came in. You said white grips - probably the factory faux ivories...in which case you'll want to make sure whether it's the shorty grip unique to some .32s, or the regular Single Six (large Vaquero, Blackhawk) XR3 Red grip. They made the shorty grips for a growing youth, women market in CAS--on some, even a majority of .32s for awhile--but its a common myth they were all that way. Some like the shorties, some do not (I do not despite smallish hands), others don't care - but you'd probably want to know. Aside from your desired fit, another issue is hard to find aftermrket shorty panels for (Eagle sells some). You can always change out gripframes if it is a shorty but you don't like it that way, but another hassle and possible expense you might not be looking for.

WARD

Single-Sixer
The 32's can be great fun. A lot of bang with very little recoil. I have several. The $550 price is certainly on the high side but they do seem to be rather popular these days.

The earlier run came in blue finish with adjustable sights only. Barrel lengths were 4 5/8, 5 1/2, 6 1/2, and 9 1/2.

The later run was for the cowboy shooters and all were fixed sights with 4 5/8" barrels with either birds head, short or regular grip frame and either "case" hardened/blued or polished stainless finish.

The John Wayne was another run.

They are not marked as "Vaquero" or "Vaquerrito" and that is only a nickname for them in the cowboy form.

Who knows where the price will go but over the last couple of years it has been trending upwards! I keep hoping Jason at Lipsey's will notice this and get a special run going one of there days. Or perhaps a mid-frame 327....

ward

gak

Buckeye
A friend has a 6.5" blued adj sight one on consignment at LGS, NIB, in that $ territory.

INDY45

Single-Sixer
Thanks Guys, I'm going to wait awhile and see if the owner comes down on his price. It sure looks nice in the showcase, But it needs a good home! :lol:

dougader

Hunter
If you're not stuck on the Vaquerito style of Single Six, there's a good deal on an adjustable sight model 32 mag Single Six here:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=180852

s4s4u

Hunter
I'm going to wait awhile and see if the owner comes down on his price.

Walk in and drop 5 Benjamins on the counter and see what they say. If they say no, leave your phone number and tell them to call when they get tired of looking at it. Works for me ;-)

gak

Buckeye
s4s4u said:
I'm going to wait awhile and see if the owner comes down on his price.

Walk in and drop 5 Benjamins on the counter and see what they say. If they say no, leave your phone number and tell them to call when they get tired of looking at it. Works for me ;-)

Good approach!

Hondo44

Hawkeye
INDY45 said:
Local gun store has on consignment, A Baby Vaquero in 32 H&R magnum for $550.00.Has everything that came from factory and is stainless with a 6 &1/2" barrel I think and paper work marked 2001. Great shape and has been shot very little, Also has white factory grips, Just wondering if I should pick it up or pass? Don't see many in this caliber or the ammo for it often, And not sure if I want to add another caliber to the family.

Thanks,Indy

Indy,

If you haven't shot one, you'll be glad you got it. It opens a whole new world of shooting enjoyment. That's not a bad price since they haven't made them for several years now. They are selling for more than that on Gunbroker. Check out these completed auctions:
http://www.gunbroker.com/All/Completed/BCI.aspx?Keywords=*32+vaquero&Timeframe=1

The "Vaquerito" (the Ruger name for these) barrels were all 4 5/8", even with the end of the ejector housing, as was stated above.

Only the blue adj sight single six magnums were made with 6 1/2" barrels. And there were no regular production stainless adj sited guns made in stainless and therefore no 6 1/2" SS barrels.

But you never know what might get shipped from Ruger! It could be a rare one-of-a-kind. Since it's on consignment, the shop owner can contact the current owner and find out the story on the barrel. It could be a custom SS barrel or it could be a barrel off of a blue adj sight model that's been polished out "in the white" which would look exactly like SS. Just touch it with cold blue and you'll know for sure.

Does it have a blade front sight or a ramp on a base like the adj sighted guns?

If the grips are too short to fill a 3" square like this, it has the short grip frame:
F-gripsquare3.jpg

Only 500 stainless steel guns were made with the standard XR3 RED size grip frame.

INDY45

Single-Sixer
Could not stand it any more, So I called and said 5 Benjamin's was my max and they called back today and said pick it up.So fellas it's a Single Six 32 H&R Magnum with a 4&5/8 barrel high polish stainless. Looks like a baby Vaquero, can't wait to shoot her if I could only find some more ammo. Thanks s4s4u that was a good idea!

dougader

Hunter
I really like the Vaquerito, at one time I had 4 of them as well as 3 other adj sighted 32 Single Sixes.

I like the lines of the Vaquerito but can't see the sights, so I had this put together by Alan Harton:

i-mcdPnDN-L.jpg

gak

Buckeye
Dougader, that looks great. I also like the BP chamfer on the cylinder, wish they all came that way. Nothing like the small frame .32s!

CraigC

Hawkeye
Funny how Davidson's blew these out at cut-rate prices and a local shop had them for $269 a few years ago. Dad bought two. Now folks are asking collector premiums for them. Bought mine used for $250. :mrgreen:

gak

Buckeye
Craig, although I've got mine I sure wish I'd picked up some of those clearance guns as companeros to the ones I've got. Can't have too many of the .32s!

HeavyDuty

Bearcat
WARD said:
The later run was for the cowboy shooters and all were fixed sights with 4 5/8" barrels with either birds head, short or regular grip frame and either "case" hardened/blued or polished stainless finish.

How common are the stainless fixed sight 4 5/8" birdsheads? I wouldn't mind one of these at all.

gak

Buckeye
HeavyDuty said:
WARD said:

How common are the stainless fixed sight 4 5/8" birdsheads? I wouldn't mind one of these at all.

While none of these are growing on trees nowadays - actually not that uncommon a configuration. Keep an eye out. There was also a relatively recent (two or three years?) Talo John Wayne stainless birdshead in a unique Sheriff (3.75") length - of course more $$.