Baby formula shortage

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Heck kids did without it for, well forever and the species has done just fine.
I'm not so sure, I've got this theory that human "evolution" may have peaked a few hundred years ago.
I believe as a species we've somehow began to reverse our gains, evolution continues, just going in the wrong direction.

I'm not so sure, I've got this theory that human "evolution" may have peaked a few hundred years ago.
I believe as a species we've somehow began to reverse our gains, evolution continues, just going in the wrong direction.
Could it be that with all the pollution we've created we're not the exact same species that we were 100 or so years ago? Brain wise, I mean.

KIR

Single-Sixer
Not all women can supply their babies with breast milk, but there are alternatives. Goat's milk being one of them. I had some as a teen once when I visited a family ranch south of Nogales. It tasted better than breast milk.

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
Not all women can supply their babies with breast milk, but there are alternatives. Goat's milk being one of them. I had some as a teen once when I visited a family ranch south of Nogales. It tasted better than breast milk.

Please explain how "as a teen" how you KNEW what BREAST MILK tasted like !
:oops::oops::oops:o_O

GunnyGene

Hawkeye

We're busily creating our replacements.

redhawker

Buckeye
Likely related, as Abbott also makes Ensure, is that there is also a shortage of powdered Ensure now. Due to food allergies and dietary needs, my wife almost lives on that stuff and it's getting as hard to find as baby formula. I'm just wondering if the Ensure is in short supply because it's nearly the same stuff as baby formula, hence they're having the same manufacturing problems, or if there's a shortage because people are substituting it for baby formula?

hpman66

Buckeye

toysoldier

Hunter
Companies convinced mothers that breast-feeding was something "primitive" women did. It was far more acceptable to feed a child on some artificial formula that was "better" than breast milk. Never mind the complications of cleaning and sanitizing bottles, buying formula, mixing formula (with often-questionable water), warm it to just-right temperature, and find a nipple the infant will suckle. Contrast that with exposing a breast and letting the child suck.
Women who were intelligent enough to breast-feed have been strongly validated. They don't have anything to worry about.

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
ALSO, Breast Feeding babies impartss some immunities to the baby that the Mother has in her system; SO it HELPS keep that infant healthy; Not to mention the excellent nutrition.

NikA

Buckeye
Lot of posts with that classic 1950s outlook that completely ignores the possibility that working mothers exist.

There are good reasons to feed infants on breastmilk and also good ones to feed on formula. It's not just possible to switch from one to another at a moment's notice, so unless the formula-using folks were predicting the shortage well in advance, they're still in a bind. That's a pretty sad state for people living in a first world country to be in.

Children were also weaned off of milk asap if milk wasn’t available. Oats at night etc Parents would feed chewed veggies and meats from their plates.
gramps

lolbell

Single-Sixer
If the babies who need the formula were born here, they aren’t illegal. Besides, babies don’t know their legal status, they are just hungry. Regardless, ALL babies need proper nutrition.

This isn’t an “us vs them” situation, it’s a human rights situation.
Anyone going hungry is a bad situation. I will do all I can to feed the hungry new born to elderly. But I don’t think the non anchor babies ought to be the first to do without.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Lot of posts with that classic 1950s outlook that completely ignores the possibility that working mothers exist.
Is it that, or that today's mothers are LAZY? Presuming no food allergies (my bet is that 90%
of the claims of food allergies are false), cow's milk, and if necessary, formula additives will
"feed" the vast majority of babies, quite well. - - - OH! THAT'S RIGHT! It will take an extra
three or so minutes to prepare. :rolleyes:
If they do not have that much time, they should have thought about that BEFORE
they had the kid.

As to the transition to regular food, both of my two (youngest is now 54) did VERY well
because we took what ever the then wife and I were having and put a small amount in a
blender. Saved a BUNCH of money over canned baby food, and got them accustomed
to the flavors of what they would be eating later.

NikA

Buckeye
Was referring to the breastfeeding comments and not the additives, Pat. Breastfeeding (or even pumping) is a very significant time investment on the part of the mother. Not nearly as quick as bottle feeding anything other than breastmilk.

I've been through this twice in the past 3 years. I am very familiar with the current options and challenges. We bought perhaps 10-20 pouches of prepared solid food between both kids for the purpose of feeding while traveling; otherwise, they eat what we eat, blended or not.

Latest posts