Auto Dealerships Update for a good laugh

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mike J

Hunter
MikeJ " I don't think I've ever felt the need to display a weapon when negotiating a business deal."

I'm with you Brother, I certainly hope none of the young non-member followers of this forum and post think that type of action would be acceptable under any circumstances.

Sounds like your Dad was a stand up Man, hope he is still with you.
He passed in 2003. At 65 he built his own home doing almost everything himself. He died at 69.

Mike J

Hunter
MikeJ " I don't think I've ever felt the need to display a weapon when negotiating a business deal."

I'm with you Brother, I certainly hope none of the young non-member followers of this forum and post think that type of action would be acceptable under any circumstances.

Sounds like your Dad was a stand up Man, hope he is still with you.
He passed in 2003. At 65 he built his own home doing almost everything himself. He died at 69

ole442

Single-Sixer
Ohio! Way too freakin' close to the city!
I've almost always bought GM cars but after it became Government Motors I decided to buy a Toyota a few years ago. Nice car and very few issues. Now that I'm older, we have all the work done at the selling dealership! They are always pleasant and have never proposed any work that I believe was uncalled for. They actually surprised me just how long they put off brake replacement. I always give them a good reference to others. Next car will be Toyota and from that dealer. I did buy a new Ford years ago and the selling dealer had some flaws but was OK BUT, due to time/travel I took my car to a closer FORD dealer and I had the worst dealings with them ever. Quoted price jumped up hundreds of dollars between the quote and the time my appointment for the service came up! They also did shitty work IMO and I will never, ever give that Ford dealership and the others that they own a good word. Never!

Joe Chartreuse

Single-Sixer
I have two cars for everyday use, but usually use just one for local driving. It is a 32 year old (1990) Pontiac. I bought it 5 years ago for $1200. Believe it or not it has only 55K original miles on it. The previous owner passed a long time ago and it spent about 20 years in storage. When I bought it I replaced all; tires and hoses ( was worried about dry rot) for a few hundred bucks. Other than that it's been standard maintenance since. runs great, looks...OK. My other car was new- in 2012. It's better for long distance driving. I will never buy another new car. If one is going to pay the price of a 1980's house for a car, it should at least be of some quality, fully inspected top to bottom, and without design flaws that could kill the owner.
Perfect example is the Jeep. Prior to Chrysler's takeover, these vehicles were famous for being durable, well made, and quality controlled. Chrysler bought the brand and simply crapped all over it. Now famous as an over-priced, low quality money pit. Not only do most always seem to have problems big and small, the replacement parts are incredibly over-priced because they are pretty much single source.

Never another new car, and probably never another used car from a dealer.

alamogunr

Bearcat
Our last 4 vehicles have been Toyota's, three Avalons and a Tundra. All but the last, a 2017 Avalon were bought from the same dealer. The 2017 was purchased from a dealer about 150 miles away because our daughter-in-law's brother was a salesman at that dealer. Plus that dealer had about 4 times as many cars like we were looking for, as the local dealer.

I have taken all vehicles back to the local dealer and have always been treated very well. If I had a suspicion about any recommended service, it was being shown a dirty cabin air filter. What I was shown may have been a stock "show" filter for all I know. The interval was reasonable, so I approved it. DIL"s brother doesn't work for that dealer any more so next car will probably be purchased locally.

Dan in MI

Staff member
This is what you see. Along with the user name of the ignoree. (I doubt if that's an actual word, but it sounded good)

You are ignoring content by this member. Show ignored content
According to Bugs Bunny it's ignoramous. :LOL:

(now nobody get the undies in a bunch. if there is a little perosoal fight in these comments I am not aware, nor do I care)

It appears as if the moderators cannot be ignored. That button is missing when you click on the username.

But I wouldn’t want to ignore anyone! Those people I’ve thought about ignoring provide the best comments!

It appears as if the moderators cannot be ignored. That button is missing when you click on the username.

But I wouldn’t want to ignore anyone! Those people I’ve thought about ignoring provide the best comments!
You may be right Kevin, but sometimes you have wonder what's going on in the head of some people. Maybe it was the shock treatment.

Of course I may be thought of that way myself.

Johnnu2

Buckeye
Back on topic, just for fun:
1) A friend called me about his dealer telling him that his cabin filter needed replacement. Friend said 'no' and asked me. This was 10 years ago and at that time the price was $95. We bought him a cabin filter for $10 and installed it in 10 minutes.

Cabin filter and engine air filters are big money makers around here; the last time I was inside a dealership to pick up some filters I spotted the sign that said 'labor charge $118/hr'; that was about 8+ yrs ago and it wasn't a Lexus dealer; it was Toyota dealer.

J.

buckaroo

Banned
I spotted the sign that said 'labor charge $118/hr'; that was about 8+ yrs ago and it wasn't a Lexus dealer; it was Toyota dealer.

Lol, I hear ya. I brought my Mercedes made car in once for service, it was $25 bucks just to shake the service writers hand.
And barely a smile when he bent me over. Then denied warranty work claiming they found vise grip marks on the oil plug.

buckaroo

Banned
Don't get me started with that one, one of the biggest scams out there. Right up there with COVID-19 jabs.