Auto Dealerships Update for a good laugh

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I've been dealing with the same dealership owner, GMC, Cadillac, Buick, going on 30 years. My employer purchased a new company vehicle through him every year for me, and every 3 years as a bonus program they also purchased my wife a vehicle as well. When I retired they gave us the titles to the current vehicles that we were driving at the time, 10 years ago. Since that time I've gone through 2 GMCs just because I want new trucks and the wife has gone through 2 foreign SUVs. Last January she was given a bill for $2,650.00 for a 30 thousand mile service. In July the electronic system went haywire just out of mileage and time warranty. After the repair I told her it was time for that turd to go. She settle for a GMC short wheel base Yukon, Phil the owner found her a company program vehicle with 1600 miles on it. It wasn't her favorite color but the deal he was offering trumped that thought. Well everything was going swimmingly until at 4800 miles the transmission started leaking a sizable amount of fluid on the garage floor so off to the dealership. They gave her a loaner to drive while they looked to see what was up. Come to find out the trans case had a crack in it. It took 3 and a half months to get a new trans from GM and get it installed.

Now all this time I had driven the the thing locally and not much highway or interstate and the same for her. Well they got everything altogether and all was fine and I heard nothing from her regarding anything going on with the machine. As we were planning out out west trip for September and October she suggested we take her vehicle. I took it to the dealership and had the oil changed and a new set of Michelin LTX tires installed to rid us the factory goodyears. Drove it home on our little back roads and noticed nothing unusual, so off we went to Wyoming. The longer I drove it the more I noticed it was pulling to the right, it seemed you had to be constantly driving the thing. I thought oh well it is out of alinement I'll get it taken care of when we get home. By the time we arrived at Bobby Tyler's place in Taxes the audio on the GPS and radio and onstar had gone silent. Called the service manager for any assistance but he didn't have a clue as to what was going on, audio or pulling to the right problem.

Arrived back home and took the owner and service manager for a ride and they both agreed something wasn't right about the way it was handling and the electronic system had a failure. This was October the 15th when I left them with the contraption, they advised they did this and that but the pulling to right had not been corrected and they weren't sure what was causing it. This morning I received a call from the owner, Phil, and he asked me if I would bring Linda and the title to the store around 2:00pm, I could and what was up. He said he'd tell us when we got there. He said when we arrived that there was a big problem with that Yukon and would we be willing to just take a like SUV with 2300 miles on it and call it square. Only thing the new SUV had some extra electronics that her's didn't have, duh, what's wrong with this picture, nothing. It sure is a pretty cheyenne red with tan leather. I did catch a glimpse of her SUV in the very back lot it looked as if it had rolled over several times, the right side of the front end had collapsed on a high speed test drive.

I don't know if any of you have ever read the find print when dropping off a car or truck at a dealership. Your insurance company is on the hook if anything should happen to the vehicle or anyone at the dealership that might get get injured while operating said vehicle. In this case Phil my dealership friend just stepped up and took care of this.

All's well that ends well....I glad this didn't turn into a po-po storm and no one was hurt in the mishap.

hittman

Staff member
It’s a blessing to have a good dealer to work with.
I bought a 2019 Silverado High Country ( used GM Certified w/5000 miles ) in late 2019. In short, biggest POS I ever owned. Almost everything electronic on it went bad and GM finally admitted they couldn’t fix it.
So ….. after 2 years and 20k miles, I drove away with a brand new Silverado RST and -0- money out of pocket. The RST looks exactly like the High Country but so far …. 10k miles on it with -0- problems.
My dealer bent over backwards to do everything they could.

hittman is right. It is very nice to have a good dealer to work with. I bet you are glad the tire didn’t collapse on your trip.

I thought those Yukon's are good vehicles. There are certainly lots of them driving around town here.

Makes me wonder if this is because the vehicle was used? Perhaps the first owner mistreated it somehow? Or perhaps they knew something was up and that why they traded it in?

GasGuzzler

Hunter
Good to see a positive dealership story on a forum.

I have a 2021 Yukon Denali stuck in my stall right now since August waiting on parts. It was struck by lightning and the insurance wouldn't listen when we told them this would happen. Now the customer is complaining to GM about us. We're not the problem...

hittman is right. It is very nice to have a good dealer to work with. I bet you are glad the tire didn’t collapse on your trip.

I thought those Yukon's are good vehicles. There are certainly lots of them driving around town here.

Makes me wonder if this is because the vehicle was used? Perhaps the first owner mistreated it somehow? Or perhaps they knew something was up and that why they traded it in?
Kevin it was a GM executive vehicle so who knows what they do while having them. It didn't have a flaw in it when we picked it up. From what Phil told me the front right portion of the frame gave way and the wheel folded under.

I am and have always been a road warrior out there on the highways and the 5K trip we took I was on the move big time covering ground at 80 to 85 mph. I'm truly thankful the mechanic didn't get hurt or hurt someone else. I'm super thankful in didn't come un-glued while we were on our trip. We did have to make an emergency stop once while on our adventure, from 75 to zero on a state highway. The seats were folded down from all the stuff we had and most of it moved forward with a good bit of it joining us in the front seating area. What a cluster....but we missed the older couple pulling the teardrop camper with their Subaru though. I can't imagine what it would have been like rolling over with all the stuff we had with us. You pack all your things in the back while taking car trips and really never get it much thought as to would happen if suddenly you were no long right side up....Think I'm going to look into a net of some kind.

I have a 2021 Yukon Denali stuck in my stall right now since August waiting on parts. It was struck by lightning and the insurance wouldn't listen when we told them this would happen. Now the customer is complaining to GM about us. We're not the problem...
What all did the lighting strike do it ?

Way different than any experience I've had with a dealership.
Mo you have a black cloud following you, everything you own or operate with wheels on it has been an ordeal. I know this form many of your past posts, something has fallen of something, or something is broke down in the field. I'm assuming you have completed your harvest season and looking forward to the upcoming planting season and working on your stuff.:unsure:

hittman

Staff member

Now the customer is complaining to GM about us. We're not the problem...
I finally told my dealer and service manager Greg, “Look, GM made this turd you can not fix.” Not doubting your ability, it’s just a FACT. What should I do? Service Manager TOLD me to call GM!

My dealer had done everything they knew how. GM sent some fancy Tech here in person to install “all new” electronics including it’s 2nd computer, BCM, ECM, sensors, relays, etc. His fix lasted about 3 days. Oh, and he wiped the odometer to ZERO (from 17000) and it took them a week to restore that.

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
First dealers only do what is allowed. They decide based on cost and time ho far to delve into an issue. You’ve all seen or maybe even done a bare frame rebuild. I assure you had they taken enough stuff off that vehicle the frame issue would have become apparent. But no dealer anywhere is going to spend that much effort because the manufacturer won’t pay for it.

On my Tacoma the rear bumper was way out of alignment. The dealer looked at it and the “Technician” said there was as no adjustment possible. I did g to the price. Reduced so I bought it. Once home I spent less than an hour to loosen the bed bolts and properly align the bed. I didn’t use that dealer for any service work.

The biggest problem with dealer service is that they don’t hime mechanics. Let ke online help the technicians follow a script. If it isn’t covered they are lost.

There seems to be a common perception here on the forum to not trust car dealers and they all lie cheat and steal.

I’m glad JPGSL had a good story of a dealer helping him. My wife and I have had both kinds of dealerships. Just my opinion, but I think when you treat a dealership fair, you get the same treatment in return. Like I said, there are a couple dealers here in Dallas that we’ve had extremely good luck dealing with. We’ve returned to those place’s several times to buy a different car.

Just my humble opinion

g5m

Single-Sixer
I've encountered both kinds of dealers. Unfortunately, most of my experience has been with less-than-honest dealers.
For me it used to be that loyalty went both ways. More recently it hasn't seemed to be that way-- from both sides, really.