Authentic single six 17 hmr/mach 2?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

flyer898

Bearcat
At present only a handfull of the pistols and revolvers in my collection (gun library) have an optical sight. That will likely go up by one when this revolver comes home.
I am thinking to use a Weigand Machine mount and a glossy Leupold 2X EER scope (I really like glossy Leupolds).
The proof of the pudding will be in the groups. All things considered I think I will be happy with this revolver. Especially given the rarity of authentic .17 convertibles.

There's another .17 "Convertible" on GunBroker, right now.

Pretty clearly NOT a factory Convertible. Label on box and Ruger's "Serial Number History" tool would both suggest it's not factory, even if the seller is not a knowledgeable Ruger fan.

I politely inquired about it, including a link to the BRC site, where the cylinders may be purchased.

The response I got included the following: "Good morning, it is a consignment gun. Atlas Collectible firearms just sold the same gun a week or 2 ago so possibly factory. Thanks for your interest.."

As Dan (rugerguy) might say, "Caveat Emptor, baby!" 🤠

flyer898

Bearcat
I sent a message to Atlas last night explaining their error. It will be interesting to see if there is a response. They are on notice now that unless it is one of the 250 or so factory stainless steel Hunter models, it is not a factory convertible.

flyer898

Bearcat
I used Gunbroker messaging to send the seller in the current auction explaining their offering has a Borschardt Rifle Company .17 HM2 cylinder, how few were sold by Ruger, and how to tell the difference.
I am putting together a tranche of 10 - 20 firearms to send to auction - making room for things I want more.
I noticed that this seller is soliciting consignments, but will not sell to anyone in California. So I asked, why would I consign with you when you are excluding more than 10% of the potential customer pool right out of the gate?

contender

Ruger Guru
As many people as can should contact Atlas & let them know they are NOT selling a factory convertible.

However,, in their description it never CLAIMS to be a factory offering,, unless I missed it somewhere.

Still I'm going to send them a note to help "clarify" things as well. Maybe they will get the message & correct the listing. But,, they do offer a 3-day inspection period,, and could get around the return by saying they never claimed it to be a factory issued convertible.

I just sent them a message myself.

Last edited:
Seller has updated their description with the following info:
"I have had people email me to note that the extra cylinder was an item that was purchased as an accessory and added to the gun after it left the factory. I wanted to clarify, thank you."

Helps remove potential misunderstanding… works for me! 👍

flyer898

Bearcat
I feel like I had a productive conversation with the folks at Vintage Iron about the conversion cylinder and their refusal to ship to CA. It seems that together we made a small difference.
No response from Atlas regarding the revolver with the aftermarket conersion cylinder that I purchased.

contender

Ruger Guru
Bombing a seller with correct info,, AND mentioning the fact that it can affect their reputation & future sales is a good way to get their attention. IF,, IF,, it's done very politely,, and with the right wording.

Looks like that may have happened here.

Oh,, and I just sent the seller another message thanking them for correcting their ad.

Politeness AND following up after a person makes a correction goes a long way.

Bombing a seller with correct info,, AND mentioning the fact that it can affect their reputation & future sales is a good way to get their attention. IF,, IF,, it's done very politely,, and with the right wording.

Looks like that may have happened here.

Oh,, and I just sent the seller another message thanking them for correcting their ad.

Politeness AND following up after a person makes a correction goes a long way.

I sent a quick "thank you" message, as well. 👍

flyer898

Bearcat
I have exchanged some more messages with Chad, the principal at Atlas Collectible Firearms. Chad's response confirms that Atlas is a top notch seller, and I will buy from them again with no hestiation.
Chad owned the mistake, explained how it happened, and offered to take the revolver back. I politely declined; I want it, aftermarket cylinder or not.
I cannot get it out of jail (California silliness) until 6/11. I look forward to shooting it with both cylinders. I am well paid for my time and trouble by what I have learned.

JAYDAWG

Single-Sixer
I have exchanged some more messages with Chad, the principal at Atlas Collectible Firearms. Chad's response confirms that Atlas is a top notch seller, and I will buy from them again with no hestiation.
Chad owned the mistake, explained how it happened, and offered to take the revolver back. I politely declined; I want it, aftermarket cylinder or not.
I cannot get it out of jail (California silliness) until 6/11. I look forward to shooting it with both cylinders. I am well paid for my time and trouble by what I have learned.

Totally cool package, you should want it.
Enjoy!

Cheers,
JAYDAWG

Latest posts