ATI Ruger Mini 14/30 Strikeforce stock

Help Support Ruger Forum:

spacecoast

Bearcat
Why did I want a new stock, when one of the reasons for buying the Mini over an AK or AR variant was the rather civilian look? I never really got comfortable with the original stock, finding it too short (yes there are butt end's I could add), and my right hand and trigger finger never really found it comfortable from my perspective. The cheap scope i got never could hold zero, and I hated the Ruger mounts and the fact I had to take it off when I cleaned the rifle.
I looked at many of the variants out there, but I always came back to the ATI stock for one reason or another. Owner reviews was one of them, and cost the other, plus it didn't look too bad either.
I got it from Amazon for about $97 with free shipping, and it has since gone up to $105. A few days later I also ordered a Leapers UTG 1X red/green dot quick connect scope ($50), and both arrived the same day.
The stock takes a little work to make the flared magazine for the 30 fit, but really not a big deal with a Dremel tool and a file. Same result can be had with a rasp and a file. After the mod the stock came on the rifle, and this thing looks better in "person" than on the pictures, and the initial feel of the pistol grip was much better than the original stock.
That following weekend I took it to the range to zero in the red dot. Initially i was worried about the mounting rails being made of plastic, but after a couple of hours it turned out my worries were unwarranted. This scope and mount was solid all the time, and never shifted.
I started out at 25 yards trying to get it zeroed in, and it mostly went well. Only problem was the idiot adjusting it, who couldn't tell right from left and up from down, but eventually I got it to where I thought I had it nailed.
1st shot at 100 yards put a hole in the target about 3/4" right of dead center, next shot was about 1" high and 3rd was about 1" left. Pretty good for me and surprising that the zero was the same at 25 and 100, not that I am complaining.
All this was done loading a single round at a time, so now was time for a little Rock n' Roll so slapped a full mag in it and did about half from standing and the other half with a table rest, all in rapid shooting, about 1 second between shots. The result was an additional 15 rounds in a 12" x 12" target, with about half of those in the inside 6" x 6" and one in the bull.
Now about the stock.
It is adjustable in length, so the wife was comfortable shooting it, and the thicker and softer butt pad made it very comfortable with no sting from the recoil. I found it really nice to shoot with and the pistol grip made it perfect. It was so easy to squeeze off a round to a point where it felt so natural, and the grip is perfect thickness for me, placing the point of contact with my trigger finger in the perfect spot. Follow up shots were easy due to this, unlike the feel of the original stock, where I sort of struggled.
In addition this stock had the option of putting a drop piece on the stock that angles it down a few degrees for the iron sights. I first put it on, but couldn't get the adjustable cheek rest high enough for the elevated scope, so I removed it. In addition the stock also folds to the left of the receiver, but the release button isn't exactly easy to use.
The UTG red dot came with 2 mounts, one flush and one elevated slightly. The elevation allows you to use the iron sights with the scope in place, and I chose that option.
All in all I can highly recommend this package for anyone with a Mini. The price is in the budget area and thus affordable for an $800 rifle, and the increased utility is well worth the cost.

I just ordered a bi-pod for it, so I don't have to mess with the bags again.

Next on my Christmas list is bolt action rifle, chambered in .308. I am looking at the Mossberg 100ATR.