Asking for info about an OM SBH

Help Support Ruger Forum:

VernTMG

Single-Sixer
Any info, would be greatly appreciated. Is there any collector signifigance about an OM SBH, S/N 94xx, that has the 1/16" serial number? It does not have the white box that some have. It has the "standard" black box with the red end. It is marked S-47, and by the S/N it was manufactured in 1962. I've been told, it is pretty rare, and not the same as a "standard" OM SBH. Please help. Thank you.

street

Hunter
Is the serial number marked on the box? Also you need to call Ruger and get a shipping date for your gun. Need to have the shipping date for the gun to tell for sure. White boxe guns, serial number ran from 1648 to 9763 and 10103 to 10946. The two piece box, "Regular Old Model Box", the serial number ran from 5775 on up. It looks as if that gun could have either Box. RENE states that the White Boxes used up to Oct. 1962. Got to have the shipping date to be sure. This means to call Ruger and give them the serial number, don't just look at their web site to get shipping date.

VernTMG

Single-Sixer
So I think what you are saying is, find out from Ruger, if it was originally shipped in the white box, and if so, it isn't in the original box. If it was shipped in the "standard box" then it really isn't worth much more, if any, then any other OM SBH. Is this correct? Even though it has the smaller serial numbers? Thanks again for any info.

contender

Ruger Guru
Ruger records won't have the box configuration listed,, just the ship date. You have to determine if the gun was shipped before or after Oct 1962. However,, nice examples of 4 digit guns,, with the box etc are desirable.

flatgate

Hawkeye
The serial number size was increased in early '63, IIRC. A bunch of other changes began to occur, as well. The steel ejector housings were changed over to aluminum and the varnished walnut grips were switched over to a less glossy finish. The Micro rear sights were changed over to a "Ruger" made version.

These changes were gradually implemented......

flatgate

VernTMG

Single-Sixer
Thank you Contender and Flatgate. So, once I determine when it was shipped, before Oct. 1962, would be more desireable, then after Oct. 1962? Is this correct? Thanks again.

contender

Ruger Guru
Well,,, if it was before Oct '62,, then it should have most likely been shipped with the white box. However,, since you have the red/black box,, I'll bet it was after the oct 62 shipping. Still it's a desirable piece,,, and as Flatgate said it's near the "transition" period,, and it may have some of those features.
The devil is in the details,,,!

chet15

Hawkeye
I'm not so sure the white boxes used with the Super Blackhawk in the 10xxx range weren't some sort of cleanup. Just haven't done the research yet to verify if there were two-piece black and red boxes shipped prior to 10/62.
VernTMG: I.M.O., your gun would need to have the box to have additional value attached to it. Speculating that it was shipped in one or the other probably won't have much added value for most collectors.
Chet15

Ruger1441

Blackhawk
Number 9 is a white box gun :shock: and a Long Frame :shock: Your just never know with Ruger :? This gun was on the Super Blackhawk 50th display.

Vern, look at the Red end of the box where the label and catalog info is printed. Look at the left end, is the serial number of your gun written there...probably in grease pencil, it may be real faint or only part of a number. Let us know or a pic of it would be even nicer.
Bill