ARRGGHHH!!!! Mark III Bolt

Help Support Ruger Forum:

810wmb

Single-Sixer
i'm field stripping my bull mIII for the first time...

i've got the mainspring assembly out...the bolt won't come out..advice?

slides back about 1/4 in, that's it

thanks

reakin

Single-Sixer
Your hammer was probably in the forward position, blocking the bolt from coming out. Tipping the pistol towards the ceiling will allow the hammer to fall back out of the way and let the bolt past.

reakin

810wmb

Single-Sixer
you were correct sir!

another question - when i reassembled the gun, i can't keep the mainspring pin in with the hammer down.

when i go to fold it in, the pin pulls down out of the barrel - suggestions?

reakin

Single-Sixer
Hammer must be in the forward (fired) position to install the mainspring assembly. Then make sure the hammer strut is dangling free to seat the tip properly in the "cup" of the mainspring assembly.

reakin

810wmb

Single-Sixer
ok - thanks!

i have stripped a auto standard before, no problem - this really wasn't either up until the very end

810wmb

Single-Sixer
maybe i'm a dunce....

when everything is right, when i push the mainspring in, it feels like it is hitting something, which is making the spring pull down out of the top...what am i doing wrong?

JLarsson

Single-Sixer
In reassembly, after putting the bolt in the receiver, it really helps to point the pistol a little past straight down (muzzle angling slightly back as you point it down) and pull the trigger. This releases the hammer so it will fall forward behind the bolt. Then - without touching the trigger - hold the pistol with the muzzle angled slightly up while you install the mainspring. The hammer strut should be caught by the mainspring plunger and the mainspring will lock into place.

win85shooter

Bearcat
If you follow these instructions TO THE LETTER, you can't go wrong....trust me. Print them out and keep next to your cleaning kit.
Mark III Disassembly and Re-assembly

1. Dry Fire/Keep safe off.
2. Remove mag
3. Open takedown lever & remove pin
4. Mag in
5. Point up and pull trigger
6. Remove mag
7. Remove bolt

1. Hammer must be back & slide stop down
2. Insert bolt
3. Insert mag
4. Point down & pull trigger/push hammer all the way forward
5. Remove mag
6. Insert takedown lever until pin stocks out the top
7. Point up & close takedown lever & lock. (Make sure hammer strut is
centered before closing takedown lever.
8. Bolt should function normally; if it does not most likely the hammer
strut was not centered.

Mike

A

Anonymous

So I have watched the assembly/re-assembly videos, read the instruction manual about a hundred times and I still can't get it re-assembled.

The problem I am having is that the mainspring bolt pin will not fully protrude through the hole on top of the receiver. Looking down at the top of the receiver hole it looks as if the bolt pin is off-center a tad due to the recoil spring assembly not being forward enough. I have attempted using a mallet and wooden dowel to tap it through but that doesn't help either.

I removed the recoil spring assembly from the bolt and the bolt pin will go through without problem.

Any suggestions? Ruger is quickly becoming a four letter word...

Pinecone

Blackhawk
polski, The instructions in "this" thread alone should get you squared away on assembly/disassembly of the Ruger MKI, II or III! There have been literally dozens of threads here on this very subject. This would be my suggestion to you. Take the gun to a local "competent" gunsmith and have him show you the "complete" technique of disassembly/reassembly of your pistol. Any gunsmith worth his "salt" should be willing to do this for you. If you have to, keep trying until you find one that will. Once you "see" a hands on demonstration with any or all of your questions answered, you should be "good-to-go"!..........................Dick :idea:

langenc

Single-Sixer
I am sure the pistol shooters at the local Tuesday (or whatever) night league at the gun club would be tickled to help. We help anyone that comes along. Have a couple new shooters as a result.

Latest posts