Are these scratches on a new gun enough to justify a call...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

zac0419

Single-Sixer
I bought this gun new last July. Because of my situation my dealer did me a favor and held it for a month until I finished my work tour overseas. Picking it up at the shop I noticed that it already had few very small scratches and then I noticed the nicks above the cylinder. I was short on time and wouldn't stick my FFL with the issue anyways, so I left. My guns get shot and scratched up so I let it go. Months later, gun still NIB unshot, it's getting to me. I had forgotten about it until recently when I thought about selling it to pay for another gun that I wanted. It dawned on me the scratches would also hurt a sale, even though it was unfired in box.

I'll be home again in Dec and I'm contemplating a call to Ruger. It has some little nicks/scratches in the barrel, these don't bother me that bad. It's the machine gouges above the cylinder that give me pause.

I'm usually the kind of guy that doesn't complain. I've never sent a Ruger back but getting it NIB with scratches like this does bother me. I know that I should've dealt with it at the shop, too late for that now.

What do you guys think, feel free to be honest.

Scratches above cylinder, you can feel them with your finger.

IMG_2009.jpg

Little nicks in barrel, again these don't really bother me, really hard to see.

IMG_2011.jpg

Pic of whole gun, really a pretty gun.

IMG_2013.jpg

Arokcrwlr

Blackhawk
Did you swap the base pin?

I would send the gun back for those scratches - unacceptable for a new gun. You may want to put the factory base pin back in before you send it back.

SteelShooter

Single-Sixer
Your gun looks like one of the few Shootists Bisley that was produced with the wrong serial number. You should let Chet here know the serial number so he can add to the list he is building for Rene.

I would send it back to the factory for those scratches.

zac0419

Single-Sixer
Aro, Yes the base pin was me, I'll need to take it off if it goes back.

SS, it's just a camera illusion. That's a 5.5 inch Lipsey not the 7.5 Shootist.

Thanks for answering guys, I think I'll give Ruger a call in Dec when I come back.

EarlFH

Single-Sixer
Looks like some of the shop jockeys used it to play gun fighter, while you were overseas. I've bought used guns in better condition than that one. I don't know if the factory will fix it or not, especially since it was so long ago.

Good luck,
EarlFH

Anthony Williams

Single-Sixer
Hell no, those itty bitty scratches wouldn't bother this ol' injun one damn bit. Wait to you see it in about a year after holster wear and such. Gives the gun character in my opinion. Hey, it's justa handgun fella :D

A.W

DanChamberlain

Single-Sixer
The time to inspect a gun is while it still belongs to someone else. I'm sorry, but the number of people who post about "visible" blemishes after they get home strikes me as unusual. If the dealer does not inspect his "new" deliveries and return blemished items, he should not expect a buyer to pay for one so blemished. If I "wanted" the gun, those blemishes wouldn't stop me from taking it out and shooting the heck out of it. I don't have any safe queens.

Dan

tguil

Single-Sixer
If the scratches bother you enough to post a question, they bother you enough to send the gun back to Ruger. I took a Bisley Hunter back to my dealer for similar markings. They took back the gun and ordered another for me. It sometimes "pays" to work with a "pricey" dealer that guarantees 100% customer satisfaction.

Oh, I have learned to buy guns on days when business is slow and you have plenty of time to really check them over.

om :cool: