Are Ruger semis as reliable as Glocks?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chefrob1

Single-Sixer
my p90 has got to be one the most comfortable to shoot, easy to maintain and reliable semi-autos that i have owned for over 20 years.........that being said it became too heavy to carry comfortably for long periods for me, so when i looked at the plastic crowd, i wanted to go with ruger but i had no faith in their early plastic line and i sure didn't want a smith (unpleasant CS exp). i looked @ FN,USP and others along with glock but i went with Walther (PPQ and then P99) which has superior ergonomics, is super accurate and prolly has the best triggers of ANY pistol right out of the box......oh yea, then it's got that reliability factor of German engineering too......none of my walthers have ever failed to fire, period. FWIW, i am a glock hater.....i can't stand how they feel,look and that trigger has got to be the worst trigger of any top tier selling pistols. that being said, they are a reliable and solid made firearm that goes boom when that horrible trigger is pulled.....and that's what matters when it is needed. i was in a gun shop the other day and i did handle the RAP45 and was pleased but have no range time with that model.

like what you shoot and shoot what you like...........

jbluez

Bearcat
in my case, my Ruger has been unreliable since day one. Fortunatley, Ruger has some of the very best customer service in the industry. I've never had an issue with a Glock. Yeah, they're blockish, boring, and the triggers are meh, but they run and run. I've had issues with a Walther and an S&W. I think every manufacturer is going to produce a lemon here and there, that's life. I like a lot of different pistols, specially the ones that just run and run. My wife has an SR22 and a 10/22, 1000's of rounds through each and the only problems are caused by el cheapo 22LR ammo. When running CCI mini mags, those two Ruger's can go non stop for many hours. Not a Glock fan boy, but there's simply no denying they have an amazing track record. Once I get my SR40c back from Ruger (2nd time back to the mothership within a year and low round count) I hope she runs as good as she looks. I'd like to make that my primary carry, if I can get it to run to the point where I trust it. We shall see. BTW, the SR40c shoots very accurately and is comfortable as heck with the great Ergo's. I love all the safety features on the pistol as well. I won't carry a pistol without a manual safety. Wish me luck on my SR guys.

I've had very limited experience with Glocks.. the first one I shot was a small one in 45acp and I could not hit anything with it.... probably me... the second one was a brand new 17 and I kept limp wristing it until the owner showed me what i was doing wrong.
The third and final one was a Glock 18 (that is not a typo) and it jammed after about 12 rounds (had a 20 round mag in it) and after about the first three rounds I was shooting at the stars anyway.

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
vito said:
Other than the LCP that I got rid of, I still own every Ruger semi that I have ever bought. My experience has been that they are fully reliable, and my LC9s is my everyday carry gun. I have both my SR40c and my old P97dc strategically located in parts of my home, although my "main" home defense handgun, in my bedroom, is a Glock 17. I know that Hickock45 has said that the only brand gun that he would trust he life to, right out of the box without a round yet fired, is a Glock because of their legendary reliability, but in fairness, my Rugers have been every bit as reliable as my Glock, at least so far. If I didn't trust my life to my LC9s I would get rid of it and buy, possibly, a Glock 43 or a 26, but I think the trigger on the LC9s is better than what Glock offers, and for me, a manual safety is a plus. Do you think Ruger can match Glock for reliability, and if not, why do you still own Rugers?

Vito,
My Rugers all went BANG! right out of the box. I carry a SR1911 or my LC9s with CT.
My better half likes her LC380 with CT.

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
Most of my pistols are Glocks .. yes they are reliable .. But I think its do to the simplicity of design .. I think most of semiauto pistols are reliable.. I have friends who swear by there M&P pistols ... the XD series also have a great reputation.. I have 3 Taurus semi's that I trust wholeheartedly..... Im sure the SR series as well as the American series are just as reliable as any ... And Ruger stands behind their products ..
If I wasn't vested in Glocks .. I would give the American series a long hard look ..

greyrush

Bearcat
I had a Glock 19 for a few months. I remember a few failures at the range, more than I thought Glocks should have. Recently bought a Ruger 9E and not 1 problem so far with various ammo brands/weights/types. And then there's my Ruger Mark II Target (stainless, .22lr) I bought in 1993. It has thousands of rounds thru it, sat unused for about 10 years at some point, and is still performing perfectly to this day without any modifications/fixes or new springs. I am very happy with Ruger reliability and wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Dienekes

Single-Sixer
I am reluctant to call ANY semiauto pistol "reliable". A few are "less unreliable" than most. In my boyhood and beyond the old GI 1911s with ball ammo were pretty good. A newer BHP is very good. I have done the "factory instant gunsmith" courses on the Glock, SIGs, and the old Ruger P85. They have ALL choked at one time or another. The absolute worse was the P97DC. It must have been possessed by demons. The factory sympathized, sent me various mags and parts, worked on it twice, and finally asked me to send it to them for destruction and gave me another NIB. I promptly put it on consignment without ever firing it.

I have my old Security Six work gun that has a lot of rounds through it, and it's well along on its SECOND barrel now. No issues since I got it circa 1983. I have spare Sixes but that's like having a spare anvil in the event one breaks.

Best damn gun Ruger ever made.

Old RugerFan

Bearcat
The only issues I've ever had with my P89DC were caused by me. In one case, I limp-wristed the gun, so I got a stovepipe. The second time, I did a tactical reload in a match and failed to fully seat the mag, so after the first shot I naturally got a FTF. It digests anything I feed it. I carried it back in the early '90's but after my collection grew I started carrying Sigs for the most part. I have a PC-9GR to go with it (also uber-reliable) so they will get passed down eventually, as I would never consider selling either of them.

s4s4u

Hunter
Well I have 250 rounds through my new RAC and nary a hicup so I'm a Ruger happy camper yet again. Never have owned a Glock, nor have any intentions of doing so.

DanPop

Bearcat
No gun is 100% reliable, Glock has a cult like following and us cult ignorant gun owners fall for what we hear from that dark side. You will never hear a Glock cultist admit their gun ever had a failure. I have never owned a Glock but we all know they are no more perfect than most guns. My LCP is such a simple design I would worry more about the ammo than the gun. Same goes for my S&W Bodyguard.

I've been reading about some of the accidental discharges with Glocks and it seems one problem is getting something caught in your holster when putting the pistol back and it causes the semi-light trigger to be pulled. That actually kind of worries me with the LC9s (pro) I carry.... (4.5lbs) this gives me two choices... 1st is obviously be super careful and the 2nd is to switch back to the standard hammer fired semi..... if I can get back to work (through my back out) and make a little extra I'm probably going to eventually go back to option 2.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
DanPop said:
No gun is 100% reliable, Glock has a cult like following and us cult ignorant gun owners fall for what we hear from that dark side. You will never hear a Glock cultist admit their gun ever had a failure. I have never owned a Glock but we all know they are no more perfect than most guns. My LCP is such a simple design I would worry more about the ammo than the gun. Same goes for my S&W Bodyguard.

That is so true no gun is 100% reliable especially semi autos.
I don't form my opinions from what people say but I form them from my experience. If I continually read the same negative thing about a particular gun then I steer away from it.
I have a half dozen Glocks G 19,20, 23, 26,27, and G30. I still haven't taken the G-20 out yet but with all my other Glocks I have never had a stoppage. I said I'd trust my life with the G-20 before I even fired it. No I won't carry it until it's been run through the paces but if I had to carry a gun that's never been fired and had a choice it would be a Glock. As many of us know most people either love the Glocks or hate them. Glocks have been real good to me so far.

RalphS

Single-Sixer
My XD's and XDs have been 100% reliable since day one. No FTF, FTE or any other failure. They work right out of the box.

And no one has ever shot themselves in the leg or the butt while sitting down with an XD, driving with an XD, holstering an XD, tossing an XD on the bed or any other scenario that the Glock fanboys have to worry about.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
RalphS said:
My XD's and XDs have been 100% reliable since day one. No FTF, FTE or any other failure. They work right out of the box.

And no one has ever shot themselves in the leg or the butt while sitting down with an XD, driving with an XD, holstering an XD, tossing an XD on the bed or any other scenario that the Glock fanboys have to worry about.

I have no experience with the XD's.
I don't worry about the Glocks as long as I'm using a good holster that completely covers the trigger. Well that goes for any gun not just the Glocks. Now the LCPII was a different story and it worried me carrying it. It was a blessing when Ruger replaced my defective LCPII with a Custom LCP.

triaxle

Bearcat
I have never had any problem with the Ruger P guns , I just picked up a mint in the box P95 stainless with box and ex mag for 199 . I have a blue one but this had to come home with me for that .It was at a gun shop I check out from time to time . They dont give much for trades but sell them fair . . My new Glock gen 5 will get a break now .

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Glock has a deserved reputation for reliability. Based on experience of my buddy and a few others, I don't believe it is as sterling as the fans would have you believe.

Their issues with unsupported chambers has resulted in a lot of catastrophic failures. Their lack of a manual safety has resulted in a lot of NDs. Even if I could get past the horrible ergonomics and and equally horrible triggers, I would not own one because of the safety issue.

I have a Ruger Mark I target I bought new in 1976. It has many, many thousands of rounds through it. Te only thing I have ever done to it is clean it and shoot it.

I think that's been my problem with Glocks... just don't like the way they look as well as they seem so popular with lots of folks..... I still consider myself a Ruger P guy even though I've started messing with Sigs as of late. (Got a MK25 on the way).

RSIno1

Hunter
My only Ruger auto is a 1970 Standard Auto. 100% reliable - as long as I use the right ammo.
All my Glocks 17L, 19 & 26 in 9mm and 30 in 45acp have been reliable too. I bought the 17L used and it had 5000+ rounds of lead reloads through it without a problem.

Job41

Bearcat
I have a Ruger SR9c, and find the trigger, sights, and grip all to be superior to that of the Glock 19. Any mishaps that I have had were due to ammunition issues. The FTF which I had would also occur in the Glock that we were shooting at the range. I think I had a batch of primers that had some defectives. I will admit that I have only a thousand rounds through the SR9c which makes it still a relatively new gun.