Are Ruger semis as reliable as Glocks?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lonewolf5347

Single-Sixer
I will say Ruger SR9 will run or keep up neck and neck with my glock17.
The only problem I see with Ruger with reloads you must check the length of the case you resize.
The Ruger will have a light primer Hit is brass is shorter then spec:.
I seen some brass as much as 0.10
Now Glocks will shoot anything you feed it.

exavid

Hunter
I currently have the Ruger LCPpro, LC9s, both original and striker fired, SR40c, and previously had a SR9 and P345 as well as the MkII and III .22s. Add to that you'd have to pry my cold, dead fingers off my 10/22, and Mini14. All have been very good firearms and extremely reliable. I prefer the Rugers to Glock because the Glocks don't seem to fit my hand very well. The fact that the Rugers look better to me doesn't hurt either.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
lonewolf5347 said:
I will say Ruger SR9 will run or keep up neck and neck with my glock17.
The only problem I see with Ruger with reloads you must check the length of the case you resize.
The Ruger will have a light primer Hit is brass is shorter then spec:.
I seen some brass as much as 0.10
Now Glocks will shoot anything you feed it.

Not the experience when my buddy and I were developing 9mm loads a few years back. His G-19 was very picky. He would bring me a handful of loads that his Glock wouldn't cycle. My SR9c would eat them up and ask for more.

rugerfreak

Single-Sixer
My Glocks have been good. My P95's have been good as well.

Owned one of the first SR9's with the Glock style trigger that was no good---barrel peening in less than 100 rounds held the slide open---Ruger fixed it on their dime but the thrill was gone and I traded it as soon as it came back------did own a SR9c for a short bit but never shot it----I had just lost all trust in the SR series.

Recently picked up a full sized American in .45----haven't shot it yet --so we'll see how that goes. Might pick up a 9e because I still have 3 or 4 spare mags from the original SR9-----otherwise I don't think I would even consider buying another SR. Still left with a bad taste on the whole SR series.

grobin

Blackhawk
To have real information this question should have at least 50,000 respondents who actually use the pistols in question. Is an unexpected discharge a reliability problem?! In any case there is too much "I've heard" here. So far blather and BS!

Clovishound

Blackhawk
grobin said:
To have real information this question should have at least 50,000 respondents who actually use the pistols in question. Is an unexpected discharge a reliability problem?! In any case there is too much "I've heard" here. So far blather and BS!

An unexpected discharge would not be a reliability problem, but rather either an operator error, or an engineering problem. IE, it worked as it should, but should have been designed differently, or the operator should have handled it differently.

Unfortunately, real data on NDs is not readily available. The only hard data I have read was a doubling of NDs by, I believe it was the Los Angles Sheriff's office, the first year after they switched to Glocks. Mostly it's anecdotal.

Lots of folks claim that Glocks are prone to blowing up. An internet search of pictures of Glock kabooms will generate pages of pictures of Glocks in pieces. A similar search for Rugers will yield only a few. This may be an indication of a problem, but is not reliable data. Oddly enough the reason given by the Glock fans is that Glocks are so popular there are lots more out there giving more examples of kabooms. The issue with this is that Ruger, Smith and Beretta handguns each individually outsell Glock handguns. This is verifiable hard data.

WMB30

Single-Sixer
Clovishound, I cannot find the verifiable hard data you mentioned. Can you post or direct me where to find it?

Bill

Clovishound

Blackhawk
WMB30 said:
Clovishound, I cannot find the verifiable hard data you mentioned. Can you post or direct me where to find it?

Bill

Here you go.

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-sheriff-guns-20150614-story.html

My bad on the type weapon (I should have re read the article before posting from memory), it is actually an M&P 9, but has the same striker fired, no manual safety system as Glock. My point was not necessarily about Glock per se, but rather to point out the difference between anecdotal and hard evidence.

grobin

Blackhawk
Good point! Also there's "Figures don't lie but liers do figure"
A lot of folks would be saved from disinformation if They took a class I did: "How To Lie With Statists".