Are internet forums becoming a thing of the past?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

vito

Hunter
Things change faster than ever, or so it seems to me. It wasn't that long ago that making a phone call when away from home or the office meant finding a pay phone somewhere and hoping you had enough change to make the call. Then cell phones came along and pay phones disappeared. Now we have "smart phones" that are really portable computers and many people rarely if ever use the actual phone feature on their phone. Young people just text, as if actually talking to someone is uncomfortable or something. Email replaced snail mail for the most part, and now many (young people especially) never check their email inbox, relying solely on checking new messages that were texted to them. And the internet, once a marvel that us old timers could hardly believe (all of 20 to 25 years ago) has become a major factor in all our lives. And on the internet, I remember when "chat rooms" were the way you linked up with others sharing similar interests. I never really liked these "chat rooms" since the level of intelligent discussion seemed to drop into the toilet pretty quickly regardless of the subject, and if on a "chat" with a large group of people, it was impossible to determine what earlier comment someone was responding to, since dozens of other comments had been added to the "chat" while that person was typing their response. So forums became the place for communication and discussion. But so many of the forums that I used to be part of have just withered away. Specialized pages of a group on Facebook or Instagram seem to be where so many people now go to air their views, seek advice, etc. I spend a good deal of time every day on this and other forums, especially since the Covid19 pandemic changed so much of my daily life. For a multitude of reasons I find myself now without any geographically close friends. Issues related to my interests such as guns, the 2nd Amendment, motorcycles and scooters are ones that I have no one to really talk with face to face, so forums have become my main communication tool for these subjects. But it is becoming more and more obvious that the audience of so many forums is aging, just like I am aging. All of this makes me wonder if forums too will quickly become an outdated tool, gathering figurative dust and fewer and fewer make the "effort" of clicking on the forum and opening up what might be an interesting thread. Will all of this be replaced with minimal discussion on Twitter or newer social media? Where will it all lead? I think that the way things change we are not far away from where our only internet communication will be by emojis on some social media sites and regular key boards will become antiques without real function.

YES, along with phone calls, and written letters.....I've seen many from here on the forum now do only facebook or other social media sites,,,oh well I still have a flip phone, call ONLY , not text, etc..........sad really just yesterday I found out my Ruger dealer, Bill. E, 'the "appleman", used to collect and display Ruger OM S-47s, passed away and the funeral was the day we got a PHONE call from someone looking for our phone number ?????,,,,NO other calls, NOTHING in the news papers......sad

It will, however we do have one thing that helps our internet site. I belong to (and moderate) two car sites. Trans Am Country (TAC) was, and I guess it may still be, the largest Firebird site on the web. It was the Rugerforum of Firebirds, you might say. Lots of extremely knowledgeable people who volunteered their expertise, lots of parts and car sales, and a very friendly atmosphere. Drama was quickly squashed (still is). Then FB came along and slowly encroached; everyone could now build their own FREE site. A thousand new Firebird sites sprang up on FB, and our website now has 15-20 regular daily visitors. We used to average over 200 daily. One day we will have to pull the plug on TAC. 2003-???? The FB sites are not nearly as nice as a good old-fashioned web site in my opinion, but they are going to kill off the old forums.
On the other hand, FB and similar online sites HATE GUNS, so there is no full forum interaction to be had there. And that is what will keep good sites like ours going for a while longer, I believe. No helping someone get ammo ( like some have done here for me when I couldn't find any .35 Remington a few years ago), no here's-the-part-you-need sales or gifts, nothing... Long live RugerForum!

The only other forum I spend time on is clubchopper.com, a custom motorcycle site. It wasn't uncommon for 10,000 people to be on it at one point but now it(like the chopper scene) is dead. I really enjoyed that forum because I could be really helpful to the youngsters who were just learning. Do not be fooled by young people and their smart phones, the vast majority of them have no idea how their phone works nor do they care, as long as the can use their social media apps and play games they're fine. Most of them don't do backups, utilize cloud storage, or have a clue how their data plan works.

bogus bill

Hunter
I used to live at work. (Tons of overtime). Most of my friends were my work partners. I didn't buy a computer until almost retirement as I didn't want to get stuck inside the radio room. "Computer dumb." Others on my department ate that up.
I retired in 2000. Soon I become part of a coffee clutch of a core of about 20 guys that usually three to five of us would meet at different times of the day in the morning or afternoon at a local restaurant that had a patio setup outside where some could smoke. Most were retired guards, deputy's, truck drivers, cops and ranchers. Many died off or moved including me.
I moved from California to Utah. I haven't mixed well here. I do have some neighbor friends that are good people but dont run around with them. Wife is after me to find some buddy's as she will no longer trail ride with me in our RZR as it beats her up bad and she cant take it. She worry's about me riding by myself as I now am crippled up trying to recuperate from a broken hip and I would be lucky to walk out anything more than a half mile if I broke down much less the usual 25 miles I sometimes get from the truck and trailer. A couple days ago
I did take our preacher along on a fine ride.
I started being a part of three gun chat sites when we moved here. Got banned from one so you guys are about it. Most or all my old friends are dead.
Hey Kentuckyyeti, this 76 TA is for you. Of course it and the Citabria is long gone.
https://i.postimg.cc/XvH8NgXX/1972-Citabria-GCBC.jpg

Once I bought a drone and got the commercial license to fly it I signed on to a drone forum.... the issue is it is for everyone on the planet that flys a dji drone (the biggest manufacturer) and there are so many different discussions going on that if you reply to one and then go back the next day it is so far down on the list... practically lost.... and a lot of times people are talking cross purposes because they live in a different country with different rules... I got put on probation for saying that some Chinese companies will steal ideas and then manufacturer the same product... seems that is racist even though it is a fact.

The one other gun forum I'm on (which shall remain nameless) I've had an on going problem with the moderator / owner... really don't know why I got on his bad list but he pretty much watchings what ever I say there and will take issue with just about anything ..... I've been banned from even mentioning the name Glock and it is not even a Glock forum. So, I've decided to stay away for a couple of days.

This forum seems to be much more contained and to my liking... even though I do tend to cause some folks undies to wad up over in the political section.

Remember when you wanted to find someone you looked them up in the "telephone book". Do they even print a phone book anymore? Today if you want to phone someone and don't have their number you are out of luck.

vito

Hunter
To me this forum, and a few others, are my social life for the most part. Other than during this pandemic, my wife and I spent a lot of time with our grown children and our grandchildren, but honestly, of my five grown children only one is what I would call sane when it comes to politics. I got close to telling one son-in-law that he would no longer be welcome in my house due to his over the top Left wing rantings. Being retired almost seven years now, my old work friends have moved on, as it is said, and since they are all still working they don't have much time at all for non work socializing. The few local friends I did make in the 25 years since I moved to my current location have either died or moved south. So as the years go by, the internet communities are actually more and more important to me, just as they are fading away as well. This all reminds me of my old motorcycle group that used to go for small group rides very often. All of us are aging, and several have given up riding altogether due to their ailments. The two young guys started families and have given up riding. So now I ride alone 95% of the time, the other 5% is when my youngest son takes my scooter and I take my Goldwing and we go out for an hour or so. Being able to vent like I am on this thread is good for me.

bogus bill

Hunter
Our taste`s doesn't change with time but ability's and conditions do. I lived to ride motorcycles for many years and thought I would have one until I died. I had three harley dressers, a bunch of brit bikes etc. Then married with a kid etc. Now I and wife are too heavy, tall and crippled up to ride but the desire is there. The money isn't. The same for flying. As you age and get crippled up your old loves dont really change much but your ability and money to do them does.

Tallbald

Buckeye
Doing what I can! I joined a slingshot forum a month ago to help feed my new interests. I don't have a farcebook page any more, a snapcrap account, twit account or anything like those. Happy to plug along with what's now "old school", as I started out so many years ago . I still remember fondly a blog by.... gosh.... his name eludes me......ahhh. Kim (?), which I enjoyed daily in the very early 00's. His blog was really entertaining but I went a different direction over time. Unsure if blogs are a thing any more on line though.
I plan to be here until I check out. Miss Penny likely won't know to post a goodbye for me either, if this forum remains. You'll just never see another post by me. Don

bogus bill- you need another Trans Am! I’ve had dozens of them through the years, and they always make me feel better. Your ‘76 was sweet. I can’t read the call outs on the shaker in the pic. 400 or 455?

toysoldier

Hunter
Fox Mike said:
Remember when you wanted to find someone you looked them up in the "telephone book". Do they even print a phone book anymore? Today if you want to phone someone and don't have their number you are out of luck.

I get two different "phone books," neither of which has my number, my MD's number, or much of anything else.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Fox Mike said:
Do they even print a phone book anymore?
Today if you want to phone someone and don't have their number you are out of luck.
Really? Humm, Seems I remember several web sites that allow you to look up a
phone number. Even Google (shudder) search will retrieve a phone number for you.
But then again, you need internet access ( :roll: ), but who here would have that?

Enigma

Hunter
I think most forums are frequented by older folks - I'll live dangerously, and speculate that there are few under 40 on most any forum. They are being replaced by FB groups, which I truly dislike - although I belong to a few. I frequently see people posting questions on FB for what is common knowledge - on Internet forums. When you refer the poster to said Internet forum, they immediately lose interest. What? Look the information up myself? Why would I do that?

And then there are the FB 'business' pages. Some franchises REQUIRE their franchisees to have a FB page advertising their business (wonder what FB pays or offers in exchange for that arrangement?). And yet, they invariably do NOT have the information that I am searching for. You have to 'contact' them by instant message or some such. Whatever happened to having a website that lists your products, services, and prices? A phone number? I guess that's too much to expect these days.

Nope, Internet forums are a passing phenomena, and we are dinosaurs.

bogus bill

Hunter
Kentuckyyeti, it was a 400. Some kind of limited edition. Was about a year old when I bought it. As I recall it would about shake your fillings out when you drove slow around town but the faster you went seemed like it was glued to the road and handled great. It never gave me any mechanical trouble that I recall.

powder smoke

Hawkeye
Fox Mike said:

Hun no one told us about that! We get a NEW Phone Book every fall usually in October.
The price of Utilities now days you better get something for your money.
I can not get over it No Phone Book hun! Naturally you can opt out and have an unlisted no. ps

Swampbilly_2

Single-Sixer
To me, it kind of seems like they are....Facebook Groups, of special interest, dealing them a major hit.

bobski

Hunter
texting and smart phone users going back to actually talking seems to be putting forums out of style.
i do notice the cancel culture does seem to be having an effect on forums. with one click, youre gone and forgottten.

Latest posts