Are all mark III Pistols drilled and tapped for scope?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jazzpicker

Bearcat
Yesterday I ordered a Ruger MK III (10103) stainless/synthetic, 5 1/2 barrel from buds. I did my homework before ordering to make sure the mark III's were drilled and tapped for a scope. I called Ruger today to be sure and was floored when I was told that some are drilled and tapped but not all.

I bought this pistol especially for using a scope. I called Bud's but "it's already at the warehouse" and nobody can be sure it's drilled and tapped". I couldnt stop or modify the order. (if someone had taken an extra 10 minutes I'm sure they could have verified the order).

Has anyone on the forum pruchased a MarkIII from Bud''s that wasn't drilled and tapped? I read in 2 or 3 different places that all Mark III's were.

Don't believe everything you read on the net!

BlkHawk73

Hunter
jazzpicker":39bgy0tj said:
Don't believe everything you read on the net!

THERE'S an understatement! :lol:

Now being a standard model in the MKIII line-up, I don't believe it is drilled/tapped. My thoughts are that only the Target and Hunter models are. looking at Ruger's site, I don't see any pictures of the standards as having the plugged holes atop the receiver. However, I also recall a while back they changed and all were having this done to them.

When doing your homework, always be sure it's thorough and ask before ordering. ;)

Bullseye57

Single-Sixer
Back in mid 2004, Ruger publicly announced they would drill and tap all target versions of the Mark III pistol. A target model was defined as any pistol that came with an adjustable sight. All of the new pistols would come with Ruger brand Weaver mount rail and three mounting screws. A month later, Ruger also announced that they would also extend the drill and tap policy to all the remaining production target model Mark II's. The Mark II model pistol line was discontinued in January of 2005.

If you ordered a 5.5" bull barrel Mark III model, it will be drilled and tapped for the scope mount.

R,
Bullseye

Bullseye57

Single-Sixer
Jazzpicker,

To further easy your curiosity, I went to the Ruger website and looked up your target model Mark III pistol, model KMKIII512, #10103. http://www.ruger.com/products/markIIITa ... tures.html Under the "Features" drop down menu, I clicked on "Sighting System" and this info was displayed:

"ACCURATE SIGHTING SYSTEM features fixed front, precision-adjustable rear sights and drilled and tapped receiver for Weaver®-style scope base adapters (included FREE) for easy mounting of optics."

I hope this information helps.

R,
Bullseye

toysoldier

Hunter
It seems that fixed-sight MkIII's are not drilled and tapped. My MkIII6 Model 10105 (blued), SN #227-07***, purchased a couple of years ago, is not.

jazzpicker

Bearcat
I think everybody is correct, all target pistols with adjustable sights are drilled and tapped and pistols with fixed sights are not. I'll find out tomorrow for sure and will post after the pistol arrives.

jazzpicker

Bearcat
I got the MK III target today and it was tapped. Nice pistol, also got one of the new 22/45's with 1911 wooden grips. Both are very nice pistola, I'll be happy to try them out at the range.

chet15

Hawkeye
Ruger started drilling the receivers of all their "adjustable sight" models toward the end of Mark II production, about s/n 225-82150. There was also a special distributor model by Camfour called the MK512CA (ruger model 0199) that was the first non Competition Target model to be drilled and tapped at the factory for a scope base. There were only 302 of those made in 2003 in the known s/n range of 225-46986 to 225-57468.
Chet15

contender

Ruger Guru
Wolverton;
I am not the one who has moved or removed your posts. However,, this is just an observation,, from a long time member here,, who kinda understands the feelings of the OWNER, & the ADMINS, & MODS,, and general membership.
First,, you posted an avatar that was pointed out as being in poor taste. (I didn't see any others before the one with you pointing an M-16 at us.) It was politely explained that it was in poor taste. Since then,, you've changed avatars to others that seem to reflect your defiance at the folks who find your avatars in poor taste. Plus,, you seem to want to constantly confront & argue with them by some of your posts in different topics. What I'm getting at is you seem to want to display a feeling of combativiness & defiance of this site which has been a family friendly, classy site for people who do not want all the machismo that other sites promote.
The Ruger Forum is a place where people act like ladies & gentlemen,, respect each other, & want to get away from anything that the typical media sterotype "rambo wannabe's" that flood our airwaves & media outlets. Around here,, we are trying to let any visitors & casual Ruger owners who visit know that we are not nethanderals and that gun owners come from all walks of life & are to be respected.
Posting pics with obscene gestures, avatars with a gun pointed at the viewer, etc even your current one here shows you have a complete LACK of respect for the owner of this forum, AND it's membership.
Maybe that's why your posts are being removed.
Again,, I respectfully request you remove the most current avatar!

Latest posts