AR556

Help Support Ruger Forum:

1rebel

Bearcat
Thinking about picking one up this week
Local GS has them for 559+tax
Now they have been out awhile what's the good, bad and ugly on them?

Single-Sixer
I picked mine up for that exact same price here in Georgia. I replaced the fore end and stock with Magpul aftermarket equipment and have been well pleased with mine.

Dranrab

Single-Sixer
I have read of quite a few issues with them and had issues with mine as well. Ruger needs to tighten up QC.

Trucker

Single-Sixer
Mine has been absolutely flawless. I love it! The modular design is certainly different from the rifles I had been accustomed to, but the idea seems very utilitarian ... it works great for the purpose it was designed for. And that is the key .... I do not consider the AR-556 to be a target rifle. I suspect anyone expecting one hole groups at 200 yards will be disappointed in the AR-556. However, I imagine that working up a hand load for accuracy would yield some pretty good results. For my use the only possible objection I would have would be the fixed front sight. Seems that could be a problem if I were ever to want to mount a scope. But I can't be sure without investigating that issue.

I mounted a red dot optic and would highly recommend doing that. [My old eyes don't get it with the peep sights!] But if I were to want to use the AR for deer hunting [or long range targets] I'd want a scope on it. With the fixed front sight I think I'd either have to mount the scope really high or else have a fuzzy sight picture right where a really clear sight picture is critical. It's been years since I have used scopes or a rifle so I could be wrong. I do know I removed the iron sights on all the rifles I installed scopes on back when I was shooting .222's. 22-250's and 6mm's. But then I was low mounting the scope. On the AR I'd want the line of sight to be the same height as the iron sights so the the same M.P.B. calculations would apply. Perhaps some knowledgeable poster would comment on this issue for me?

1rebel

Bearcat
Thanks guys for the input
I picked it up yesterday and although I haven't shot it yet it feels great
I have owned several different brand AR's in the past but have always liked Ruger guns. Glad they joined the AR bandwagon.

Aqualung

Blackhawk
1rebel said:
Thanks guys for the input
I picked it up yesterday and although I haven't shot it yet it feels great
I have owned several different brand AR's in the past but have always liked Ruger guns. Glad they joined the AR bandwagon.

Good luck with it.

If you don't know already, make sure you strip it down and clean out all that goopy oil. Re-lube it with your lube of choice...

I've heard bad words from folks that took theirs out of the box, right to the range.

Aqualung

I would have bought one of these long ago if there were any dealers in my area that stocked them. I've yet to see a single one of these. :?

Since my local dealers have decided not to sell them, it made me realize I don't really need another AR anyway. But I could sure want the Mossberg MVP LC. :mrgreen: Oh, that's right...Our dealers don't stock these Mossberg's, either. :lol: no wonder the LGS's can't stay in business.

WAYNO.

1rebel

Bearcat
One question
I just noticed a keyhole symbol of the lower and on the upper receivers?
Just above the forward assist on the upper and behind the trigger guard on the lower
Both on the right side. Never saw this before on any other AR

Aqualung

Blackhawk
1rebel said:
Yeah was wondering if I needed to clean it good and relube it

Mine came slathered in the stuff, like someone dunked it in a tub of 30-weight oil. However, it's more of a preservative than a lube, I suspect.

I stripped mine down and then re-lubed it with CLP. Had no issues when I took it out the first time...ran like a champ.

I'm not sure if you subscribe to the "run wet" or the "run dry" belief, but mine seems to like a generous coat of CLP on the BCG. However, I don't shoot 1000s of rounds in a session.

Enjoy it and shoot the heck out of it. It's a fun rifle to shoot.

Aqualung

Aqualung

Blackhawk
1rebel said:
One question
I just noticed a keyhole symbol of the lower and on the upper receivers?
Just above the forward assist on the upper and behind the trigger guard on the lower
Both on the right side. Never saw this before on any other AR

Apparently, Ruger doesn't make their uppers and lowers. They're the manufacturer's logo. I can't remember the brand, but do a search, there are some threads on the net about it.

Edited to add:
It's the mark for Cerro Forge. Apparently, they're pretty good quality.

Aqualung

9x19

Hunter
The keyhole mark is the forge mark from Cerro products... they produce the raw forgings that many AR makers machine into a finished upper or lower.

cyphertext

Bearcat
9x19 said:
The keyhole mark is the forge mark from Cerro products... they produce the raw forgings that many AR makers machine into a finished upper or lower.

This is correct. Ruger receives a block of aluminum that is the shape of the receiver, but they are responsible for the machining of the receiver and drilling all the holes. The quality of the final product has more to do with the final machining than it does the raw forging.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I bought one this summer after owning a SS Mini-14 for years. Mini groups very well with Lake City M193 and M855. I tried a Burris QD mount and Nikon 223 scope. AR will not group. I took Burris mount back and traded for a Nikon mount. that helped. This shoots nothing like Mini. I called Ruger and asked for help. Same afternoon this week, laid 35 yr. M-77, .270 Win., across rest. Shoots like first day I had it! This AR is first Ruger that I cannot get to group. Any thoughts?

dakota1911

Buckeye
I picked one up at an Oktoberfest in 2014, and it has great but have not shot it a huge amount. I did field strip mine clean and lube with CLP before I shot it the first time. I have bought more mags for mine and a front sling swivel. Down the road I do want to get a scope for it also.

My Oldest Son is Picking one up, Does the AR556 use special Magazines ??? We will see how it does against my Old 1 in 7 Twist Mini ???