AR556

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ruger1228

Bearcat
Trucker said:
Mine has been absolutely flawless. I love it! The modular design is certainly different from the rifles I had been accustomed to, but the idea seems very utilitarian ... it works great for the purpose it was designed for. And that is the key .... I do not consider the AR-556 to be a target rifle. I suspect anyone expecting one hole groups at 200 yards will be disappointed in the AR-556. However, I imagine that working up a hand load for accuracy would yield some pretty good results. For my use the only possible objection I would have would be the fixed front sight. Seems that could be a problem if I were ever to want to mount a scope. But I can't be sure without investigating that issue.

I mounted a red dot optic and would highly recommend doing that. [My old eyes don't get it with the peep sights!] But if I were to want to use the AR for deer hunting [or long range targets] I'd want a scope on it. With the fixed front sight I think I'd either have to mount the scope really high or else have a fuzzy sight picture right where a really clear sight picture is critical. It's been years since I have used scopes or a rifle so I could be wrong. I do know I removed the iron sights on all the rifles I installed scopes on back when I was shooting .222's. 22-250's and 6mm's. But then I was low mounting the scope. On the AR I'd want the line of sight to be the same height as the iron sights so the the same M.P.B. calculations would apply. Perhaps some knowledgeable poster would comment on this issue for me?

I had same concern about front sight blurring a scope. I bought the Nikon P-series 2 piece mounts and a Nikon P-223 scope. These rings are high enough that the front sight does not create any problems with a clear scope picture. The rings being 2 piece off versatility in mounting the scope. Works great for me.

Trucker

Single-Sixer
ruger1228 said:
I had same concern about front sight blurring a scope. I bought the Nikon P-series 2 piece mounts and a Nikon P-223 scope. These rings are high enough that the front sight does not create any problems with a clear scope picture. The rings being 2 piece off versatility in mounting the scope. Works great for me.

Thanks for the information. :)

mohavesam

Hawkeye
LGS has them for 565 cash only. Predictable result. I have plans to get rid of the front post which is useless to me, and scope them for practical use.
I almost opted for the DPMS Oracle which he had for about 502 (cash only price), which would have saved me the cost of the gas block modification...

Neither has a chromed barrel but then I don't buy krap foreign ammo anyway. Great deals out there on guns I didn't know I needed. After a break-in shoot or two I'll most likely put 'em away for the grandkids via my trust. Wish my Grandpa would have done the same with a couple of his Thompsons and BARs!

ditto1958

Blackhawk
I bought mine at the end of summer, and I've been very pleased with it. As others have suggested, I did clean off all the packing stuff it was drenched with before heading to the range.

My AR-556 has been 100% reliable from day one. It has about 750 rounds through it now, and has not had a single hiccup. I have tied every brand of inexpensive .223 and 5.56 ammo I can find, and it eats it all- even the Russian steel stuff.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Yep, Cerro Fabricated Products outside DC on 81, who'll also machine them to .001 GDT if desired. If you contract adequately the pricing gets down to about $xx (less than a pizza) per MIL-pattern lower. Huge political factors in this DoD/ITAR supplier selection of course.

daveag.

Single-Sixer
I bought one this summer. I cannot get it to group. I have a SS Mini 14 Ranch that outshoots it on Lake City NATO ammo. I put a Timney trigger in it Nikon scope. Its about to wear me out. MINI shoots very well. I don't see the what all the craze is . Ive yet to see an AR that shoots good