AR15 or 10-22 thoughts.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

41Dude

Single-Sixer
Good morning. I am new to AR15's. Did a little range shooting with my wife. Fun.
Found out she does not have the hand strength to work the charging handle.
She has plenty of strength to operate her 10-22. She is also VERY accurate and fast with it. Several extra Ruger 25 round mags and she is good to go.
It is her go to rifle if needed. She also has a couple of favorite revolvers we keep handy.
If needed I know she can take care of herself when I am not around.
The 10-22 might not be ideal but 25 rounds on tap should give bad actors pause.
What do you use as a house gun for yourself or significant other?

First off: At my house 'significant other' just shrugs and says "Whatever happens happens". No real consideration for personal safety or security. Possibly somewhat blasé due to my shall we say 'security net'.
For the problem with operating the AR charging handle, maybe take a look at 'extended' handles that offer addition space for more fingers. Most of my AR's are equipped with these because the mounted scopes get in the way of reaching the CH. An extended CH can easily be manipulated by two fingers on the left side or even the palm of the hand allowing full arm strength to be applied.

A 10-22 can work but requires a somewhat different mindset for SD. The low power of the 22 rimfire requires the user to continue shooting until the threat stops VS firing 1-2 shots and analyzing results. Some folks simply can't/won't follow this logic and think that a shot or two will magically stop the threat.

Kind of hard to compare the 2 guns. I am guessing your talking about AR-15s in 5.56/.223 in a basic rifle/carbine? and a 10-22 stock carbine?
Without typing a story explaining the differences of those 2 firearms as to why and what there designed for.
If she likes the 10-22 and shoots it well but can't manipulate the controls on an AR type firearm. Stick with what works. As to gun and caliber an AR is a far better weapon in most SD cases. Either firearm has so many different aftermarket parts to make it work for just about anyone. Then it still comes down to the .22 LR caliber vs the 5.56/.223.

Pál_K

Guns. I has it.
Is this a rural setting, suburb, city, or what?

Just me, but I'd choose AR or other rifle or carbine only for a rural environment.

I'd have (and do have) a handgun for any environment; it may be needed first.

Shotgun is also a good option. But if strength is an issue, racking a shell would be a problem; autoloader would be better.

Pál_K

Guns. I has it.
Smith & Wesson makes the EZ series of semiauto pistols - specifically designed for those having problems racking the slide.

gunzo

Hunter
For the AR, maybe a different charging handle. Experimentation is the key.

My wife used to shoot USPSA matches with me & used a 1911 in 45, her choice. Now she has rheumatoid arthritis & struggles with about any semi auto handgun. Me, having a fondness for medium sized double action revolvers has seen to it that there are a few around the house. She works those fine.

She can still operate her Remington 243 bolt & 1100 shotgun, but like Mobuck said of his other, mine shows little interest & I can't get her to train, much less practice anymore. Hoped at least if she didn't care to save her bacon, she might help save mine. Oh well, so much for my situation.

Now, back to the AR and different charging handles. One that just came to me. Hornady has an apparatus called a rapid rack. A metal rod holding the bolt partially open & the rod partially in the chamber, with a long handle sticking out the ejection port. Rack the bolt with that, or if still not enough strength, hit the handle against a door or door jamb to make the bolt retract & pickup a shell. The tool simply falls away & the bolt sends a round to the chamber. Might take practice, but it all does. The will is the key it seems.

Good luck

gunzo

Hunter
OTOH, so many good suggestions here, but 10/22 thoughts keep ringing in. A well practiced person with a 10/22 that's been tuned for utmost dependability, great ammo, an understanding of anatomy, & a strong will to survive could be a very successful at winning a life threatening encounter.
The bright part is ya don't go broke preparing a weapon or buying the needed practice ammo to get ya where you need to be.
JMO

Here's a picture of more options of the guns you speak. The Smith & Wesson 15-22
20240622_021434.jpg
20240622_021848.jpg
has been 100% reliable for me.

"A well practiced person with a 10/22 that's been tuned for utmost dependability, great ammo, an understanding of anatomy, & a strong will to survive could be a very successful at winning a life threatening encounter."
While this seems to be a fine plan, there's the nagging problem of plans not surviving beyond the first bullet. Practice is good. A well tuned firearm is good. All those things listed are good. BUT!!!
None may survive the initial confrontation. The 22 doesn't leave much freeboard. Better than a butter knife or rolling pin but not the BEST choice. Now that I'm thinking this out, neither is an AR in the typical .223 chambering when used indoors. Maybe your choice of the 10/22 is better for your needs---IF your spouse can handle the need to continue shooting until the threat stops.

Since the OP said she is quick and accurate with the 10/22 I would see no reason to change, and he wasn't asking for alternatives but the types of weapons OUR significant others use. Mine won't use a firearm or bladed weapon, but will and has used baseball bats, cattle prods, stun guns, pepper spray- and a table leg......

41Dude

Single-Sixer
Thank you for that. You read post to the last line. I have very much enjoyed everyone's input and suggestions (y)

And I have learned I DO NOT want to piss off your significant other 🤯

Latest posts